Please share you nutritious yet quickish meal ideas! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-14-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in a rut. And today for lack of time and energy I had 6 frozen mini bagle pizzas for lunch. :

Please share all of your yummy protein packed/mamma to be tailored recipies here!!

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 03:52 AM

Ramen Noodle stirfry! I like it ok, DH LOVES this. I learned how to cook it in school. Here's your basic recipe You can completely customize it. Super tasty and fast.

BTW: How are you doing?

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:20 AM

If you can tolerate eggs, avocado, cheese and tomato omelettes were dinner for us a few nights ago when I was too tired to make anything else.

My favorite breakfast is plain yogurt with a little honey and homemade almond-maple granola.

My favorite snack is a smoothie made from plain yogurt, one banana, one tablespoon of peanut butter, a few ice cubes and a squirt of honey.

Grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches are a favorite lunch in our house. I always cut up fresh fruit on the side - peaches, pears, grapes or strawberries.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:57 AM

Ramen noodles have MSG in the seasoning packet....not a good thing. Tasty but not super great for the body. : I guess you could leave out the broth packet.

Some good things to eat are (I'm on a tomato kick):

cut up tomatoes (or pineapple) and cottage cheese mixed together with salt and pepper

Tomato and basil tortilla (or any tortilla) with roasted red pepper hummus, sliced ham or turkey or pepperoni and sliced roasted red peppers. Wrap it up like a tortilla and then heat it up for a few till warmed through or eat it cold. So yummy!!

Bread and butter pickles with cheese, sliced tomato, onion and mayonnaise on a bun

Vanilla yogurt with blueberries, strawberries and grapes mixed in. You can get a big tub of the yogurt and make this up in the fridge and then just dip from it when you want a snack or are preparing your lunches.

Cut up apples with cheese and peanut butter.

Freeze some ripe bananas so you can make a smoothie. Just use about 2 frozen bananas add some milk (yogurt if you want) and some honey, blend that bad boy up and enjoy! Add some ovaltine if you want it chocolate. So good and refreshing. Add peanut butter for protien.

You can make a trail mix and keep it in an air tight container. Sesame sticks, pretzels, your favorite nut, cheddar bunnies, and maybe dried bananas or cherries. So yummy and always ready.

Toast with Nutella and sliced bananas

Rye bread or pumpernickel slightly toasted with butter , sliced ham or turkey, and sliced avocado with lemon juice squeezed over top....one of my favorites.

Black bean and corn salsa. Basically use your favorite salsa and add sweet corn and prepared black beans. So yummy by itself, in an omelette, on chips, pita bread, potato....whateva!

Steel cut oats with maple syrup and fresh or dried blueberries. Just soak the berries for 15 minutes or so and they plump right up.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Old 06-14-2006, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome! Keep 'em comin!

:
Old 06-14-2006, 05:59 PM

We've been big into wraps lately. I'll buy a rotisserie chicken and use the meat for wraps. I've also pre-cooked other meats to use with lunches since lunch meat is a no-no. We've also done a fair amount of pasta salads-- leftover chicken, chopped veg, pasta and a vingrette type dressing. When eggs sound OK, I'll make breakfast wraps too. I am struggling with quick, easy high protein meals... It's hard to cook, work, parent and be pregnant!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Danielle~*

Some good things to eat are (I'm on a tomato kick)
ME TOO!!!! TOMATOES!!!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

PLease, please, please; MORE IDEAS!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:27 PM

Snackwise I like apples and honey on whole wheat toast.

For a quick, easy meal I like to just throw a bunch of chopped vegetables on a hot grill like pan (you know with those little ridges?)
Put on some brown rice, and when it's done just put some soy sauce on top.
SOOOO easy, and yummy!
Old 06-15-2006, 03:33 PM

My MIL makes a FABULOUS salad....tomatoes, cucumbers, and cilantro. Toss them together. Add a little oil and season with salt/pepper. She usually adds ahe (spelling? Pronounced uh-he). I don't know how easily you'll find that. It's a green salsa...pretty spicy. She makes it from scratch so I'm not sure where you would buy it. Mmmmm I love that salad.

Give more**Expect Less
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 PM

Oh yeah...another early marriage thing I made was noodles and veggies. Cook it all up, toss it together, and then mix in Italian dressing. Yummy!

Give more**Expect Less
Old 06-15-2006, 04:04 PM

My quick dinners are:

~ eggs -- anyway you like them. We usually do scrambled with salsa & cheese in them. DH & DD are also big fans of just plain hard boiled eggs & we all like egg salad.

~ couscous -- boil the water & spices, toss in couscous, remove from heat, wait 5 min & fluff with a fork. Doesn't get easier than that!

~ macaroni salad -- a little more ambitious but a big dish will last us at least 1 supper & 2 lunches/snacks. We do macaroni (I make extra & set plain noodles aside for DD to snack on for the next day or so too), tuna, peas, hard boiled egg, small onion chopped, mayo, salt & pepper to taste. You can also top with paprika.

~ "dirty" potatoes -- aka: pretty much any type of potato dish with the skins left on. Just scrub, chop/slice/whatever like you normally would, cook & serve. Mashed potatoes are actually really good done like this.

~ If you do meat, burgers or boneless/skinless chicken breasts done in a skillet on the stove are usually pretty quick.

~ quesadilla pizzas -- pizza dough it a pain to make IMHO. So when I'm feeling lazy I toss a couple tortillas on a baking sheet, cover with sauce, cheese, toppings of your choice, then top with another tortilla and bake around 300 until they are heated through & the tortillas are starting to brown.

Holly
~
Old 06-15-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Danielle~*
Ramen noodles have MSG in the seasoning packet....not a good thing. Tasty but not super great for the body. : I guess you could leave out the broth packet.
It's hard... maybe impossible to avoid MSG in Asia. It's a staple and found in everything. If I tried to avoid it, I'd probably lose a lot of weight. : Maybe a good post partum diet plan.

We've been eating fried egg sandwiches here. With a slice of cheese and a dot of ketchup. Yum. And it takes about ten minutes from prep to set.

Edited to add that I'm from the Feb DC, but lurk around here since I'll probably give birth in January if my ICP returns. Didn't mean to just barge on in.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKae
It's hard... maybe impossible to avoid MSG in Asia. It's a staple and found in everything. If I tried to avoid it, I'd probably lose a lot of weight. : Maybe a good post partum diet plan.

We've been eating fried egg sandwiches here. With a slice of cheese and a dot of ketchup. Yum. And it takes about ten minutes from prep to set.

Edited to add that I'm from the Feb DC, but lurk around here since I'll probably give birth in January if my ICP returns. Didn't mean to just barge on in.
Come on in!

Great ideas everyone....
Old 06-15-2006, 09:42 PM

sndwiches are so easy and versatile.....I love them. Plus, fresh fruit this time of year is sooooooo good. I eat sandwiches and fresh fruit all the time.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:08 AM

Another great thing is just a huge salad. Start out with a couple of heads of lettuce (depending on how big your fam is) then throw in some hard boiled eggs, if you have some left-over meat from another day chop it into tiny pieces throw it in, buffalo mozzarella cubed or the mini balls, canned corn, pine nuts, orange slices, basically most stuff like that that you have around the house works.
Then you mix with a fork a dressing of balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a splash of orange juice (or lime) as well as salt, really well and pour on top. In the summertime it is a HUGE hit around here and my dd just eats the bits she likes.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherKae

What most people don't realize is that it's found in most (processed) food in America as well. I had a friend who went completely off MSG and I was amazed when I went shopping with him. It was in EVERYTHING! I crack up when people say, "Oh, I can't eat Chinese food because I'm allergic to MSG" as they are cutting up a rotiserie chicken (covered in MSG) and opening up a can of soup (full of MSG) and dressing a salad (yup, MSG) for lunch. And yes, he did loose weight because he had to make everything from scratch and started eating more fruit and veg.

Then again, my Japanese grandparents have a shaker of Ajinomoto sitting right next to their salt shaker. It's pure MSG, and they use it on everything. They are both pushing 90 and in great health. Maybe it's like drinking--you always hear about the people who live to 105 and swear that it's their daily habit of tossing back a fith of whiskey that has gotten them this far .
Old 06-16-2006, 09:21 AM

I can't eat salad when I am pregnant for some reason so I have to be creative about getting in greens. This is our family favorite and dd is a picky eater:

Lentils with ginger spinach or garlicky mushrooms

Put lentils in a pan with olive oil (onions if you wish ) and cook for 30 minutes or so.

Then sautee some ginger in a pan (I get the frozen ginger cubes) with olive oil and saute - about 4 minutes till wilted. Put on top of the lentils in a soup bowl with a dollop of yogurt on top.

Do the same with garlic and the mushrooms (I buy the pre-washed, pre-sliced mushrooms and frozen garlic, makes prep easier).

Broccoli/cauliflower summer salad:
take a head of broccoli and a head of cauliflower and cut into little pieces. Put in a bowl and cover with your favorite Italian salad dressing (the entire bottle) - I use Good Seasons Sesame dressing that I mix myself with lime juice and peanut oil and then a little toasted sesame oil. Toast some sliced almonds in a pan and throw them in (you can also add water chestnut, bamboo shoots).
Leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours and enjoy. I don't usually make it to 24 hours so I blanch the veggies first so the kids can chew them! This is the best salad!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:50 AM

Whoops, that was totally off-topic . So here's what I do---

Smoothies. I hate bananas in drinks so I leave them out. Yoghurt, frozen fruit and a splash of OJ. Plus, my 2yo loves them too.

Tortillas heated/crisped in a skillet with cheese. Throw on some beans/rice/salsa/scrambled eggs/avocado if you are in the mood. I have to have it crispy though.

Fried eggs over rice. Brown is okay, but I've been craving just plain old Japanese sticky rice. A splash of shoyu and some furikake (it's a Japanese rice topping of seaweed, sesame, salt and yep, you guessed it...MSG). It's a breakfast staple in our house. Sometimes I like to mix in canned corn. Sounds wierd, but it's really yummy.

Crackers with fresh peanut butter and honey. Some days this is all the protien I've been able to get down.

Ginger chicken soup. Boil chicken (I use thighs or a whole chicken) in a half water/half chicken stock and a TON of sliced fresh ginger (I use an entire large cluster of ginger, and then usually add even more later) and a clove or two of garlic. Once chicken is cooked through and stock is reduced by about 1/3 cool and clean/shread chicken and strain stock. Return chicken to the pot and add whatever veggies and noodles you like. I do Shitake mushrooms, young mustard greens or shredded Napa cabbage and soaked cellophane noodles. This may not sound "quick and easy", but it really doesn't take much time and you can make a ton of it and freeze some. Plus the ginger settles my m/s tummy.

Toaster-oven sandwiches. I take some deli meat and heat it up in the micro (lysteria and all...) while I put mustard on a couple of slices of whole grain bread and top them with slices of Munster or other yummy-melting cheese. Add the meat and pop in the toaster oven until bubbly and toasty. Once that's done I add some bagged mesclum salad and a few banana pepper rings and eat.

Stir fries. They are super quick and easy and they help me use up all the veggies I buy (and then tend to throw out because I forget about them in the bottom of my fridge). Staples are broccolli (big bags from the price club) and whatever I pick up at the farmer's market on Thursdays--greens, squash, beans, asperagus, etc. I just heat a skillet to piping hot with a small ammount of veg oil and add the rinsed, still wet veggies and then add a bit of flavor about 1/2 way through. Teriyaki, chili sauce, hoisin, or whatever you feel like. Lately I've just splashed them with a bit of soy and then tossed in a little sesame oil after it's off the heat. Sesame adds tons of flavor. You can add whatever protien and carb you like. We do sliced, marinated chicken and tofu and then add egg or rice noodles or toss in leftover rice at the end. It's not always pretty, but it's fresh, it tastes great and all I have to clean up is a one pan, a cutting board and a knife.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:35 PM

i always have some of the uncle ben's 90 second microwave rice......it only takes 90 seconds and rice is very good for you!!!!

i also buy the small cans of french cut green beans and eat them cold with italian dressing on them!
Old 06-16-2006, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Jennifer, stir fry sounds so yummy right now.....

I realized that I hadn't shared any of my favorites so far!

Yesterday I made an AWESOME mediterranian pasta:

Whole Wheat Penne Pasta, cooked al dente

Toss in tab of butter and some extra virgin olive oil

add dried basil and/or Italian seasoning

chopped roma tomatoes

chopped burgendy olives

crumbled Feta

Romano cheese and cracked pepper to taste

Boy howdy it was so fresh and tasty!

Also, all of that minus the pasta would be great on a romaine salad, you could toss with dried cranberries and a bottled Greek vinegrette.

I also have been loving fresh pineapple, I often toss it with fresh strawberries if I have them. I heard strawberries have lots of protein, and pineapple is great for cell development (as is and yellow fruit or veggie. )

I love this thread, it really has helped me out...keep em coming!

thanks ladies!
Old 06-17-2006, 11:49 PM

Pasta with frozen veggies, salmon/tuna/or pollockcrab, mayo and pesto tossed together. Great hot or cold.

Scrambled eggs in a wrap.
Peanut butter and banana in a wrap.

I actually like canned organic chilli too.

Make a huge fruit salad, toss on some lemon juice to slow oxidization and eat all day long. Don't forget to share with DC... Cottage cheese also goes well in a fruit salad, but I cannot tolerate dairy...sigh.

Orzo with pine nuts, spinach and olive oil is great too.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We had a good lunch today--
box of chicken ravoli, frozen, forgot the brand name, comes in a blue box, sundried tomato sauce. It needs a jar of actual sundried tomatoes, IMO.

Frozen broccoli, thawed and then stir-fried with a bit of EVOO and melted butter (yes, both!) and a couple cloves of garlic. Could add some red pepper flakes, I didn't cuz I was out. (Saw it on that show with Giada DeLaurentis on the food channel. She did it for some kind of pasta salad thingy and put anchovies in it. I don't like anchovies.)

Garlic toast, the frozen, heat it up variety.

Took about 20 minutes, the bread took longer than the box said it should, pasta takes 12 mins. as advertised.

I do lots of toast and fruit. Toaster waffles with natural PB and some organic jelly fruit spread are yummy. so is chocolate malt o meal made with chocolate milk. :

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10 one girlie (1/07), one 13 wk (10/13) and 5/15 just your average multigenerational living family!!
Old 06-19-2006, 02:37 PM

Vegan Chili - my favorite - and easy to make!!

YOU NEED:

One 15 oz can of Red Kidney Beans
One 15 oz can of Black Beans
One 15 oz can of Lentils
One 28 oz can of Diced Tomatoes
Fresh Garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Vegetable Oil or the oil you prefer
Chili Powder
Dried Parsley
Cumin

DIRECTIONS:

Finely chop garlic and put in sautee pan with a tablespoon or two of oil and simmer until aromatic.

Then add ALL canned food.

Add a tablespoon or two of chili powder, a dash of cumin, and a couple tablespoons of dried parsley.

Stir.

Let it come to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer and cover.

15 minutes or so later, whalla!

----

This recipe is so easy and so flexible ... that's why I love it so much. Adjust the seasonings to you preference. Adjust the cook time to your preference of bean-tenderness. The longer it cooks the more pronounced the flavors. Have fun!!

Sarah and Steven 8/24/02, Little Miss L 7/15/05, and Mister E Man 2/10/07.
Old 06-19-2006, 03:26 PM

^ that sounds so good and it's hecka easy to make! I'll have to try it sometime.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:44 PM

I've been having tremendous luck lately with the recipes I find in "Peggy's Kitchen", especially the one for tomato basil sauce. You just process the ingredients in the blender and simmer for like 5 or 10 minutes. This whole thing takes a maximum of 15 minutes. It has saved me on more than one night!

http://www.mothering.com/sections/re...sil-sauce.html

When I can I make a triple batch and freeze some of it. I've used it for pasta, but also for things like a sauce on a grilled cheese, or added it to mac and cheese.

Mama to 3 year old DS and awaiting #2 in June
Old 06-19-2006, 11:47 PM

Two cans of garbanzo beans
Toss with EVOO, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper
Bake for 20 minutes at 375*

Make brown rice with tons of fresh grated garlic (minced works, too), cumin, a little butter, salt, pepper, a smidgen of chipotle pepper, and add a can of black beans when the rice has about 10 minutes left to cook. Zesty, but not too spicy--DD loves this!

My egg dish:
Beat 4 eggs
Butter (or coconut oil) in the skillet
When butter (or CO) is melted put sliced mushrooms, tomatoes, cilantro, whatever you would eat in an omlette basically into the pan
Add eggs on top
Add spice to taste on top of the eggs (I use salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders, and cumin)
Cover with cheddar cheese (optional)
Cover pan with lid and cook for 6-8 minutes
This is enough for DD and I for a meal

Samantha, Mama to Elizabeth, September 24, 2004

User Tag List