Fast labor for #2 +? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-15-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For those of you who have had 2 or more births, did you go lots faster with #2 and after? I am preggo with my second and trying to decide on a good doc/hospital. My previous doc was okay but she moved anyway and there are only 5 docs to choose from at teh hospital that I delivered at- 2 of which are out for other reasons. Anyway, I live near STL and there are lots of good hospitals- one that even has doulas on staff, but they are a bit of a drive (30-45 min).

With my DD I was induced and labored for 27 hours (including 2 hours of pushing) so obviously I don't want to repeat that (the induction that is) if I can help it. The thing I'm afraid of is being so far away from my doc and having the baby in the car or something...

Homebirth isn't really an option because DH would never go for it and I'm a little apprehensive because of the way DD came out (not breathing). I konw that was probably due to all the interventions and the long labor but still... it was really scary.
#2 of 11 Old 06-15-2006, 12:58 PM

With my first, I thought I was a permanent fixture in the hospital. I got there Sunday night and didn't have my son until Wednesday morning. They wanted to do a c-section but I wouldn't let them. My water was still intact and the baby was fine. I was just extremely extremely uncomfortable. With my second it wasn't so bad. Labor only lasted about 12 hours. And with both of them, once I started pushing it only took about 15-20 minutes. So, there's a story for ya. :
#3 of 11 Old 06-15-2006, 01:11 PM

Mine was a precipitous 2nd labor, but my first was very fast for a first labor too (1st: dilated to complete in 3 1/2 hours, pushed for 4 hours; 2nd: water breaking/labor starting to baby was just over 2 hours total). If you had a relatively long labor before you probably wont have a super-fast labor this time, though I imagine that induction was probably part of the length and if you go on your own it may go faster.

I think you'll probably be fine to get to the hospital 30 min away, though. I'd chance it if the staff is so much better.
#4 of 11 Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 PM

You definitely have to be completely comfortable to have a homebirth.

But when you study, read, and research you'll learn it's safer and healthier statistically for you and your baby to give birth outside of a hospital and away from a doctor.

I'd urge you to interview midwives for fun, for free and read read read. I love Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Haper, Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer, & Spiritual Midwifery by Ina May Gaskin--just for the birth stories.

A doula may be a happy option as well. When it comes length of labor and making it to a hospital, 30 minutes is doable, generally, if need be.

My 2nd labor was 8 hours (first was 14). I had plenty of time to get to the Birth Center both times!
#5 of 11 Old 06-15-2006, 02:30 PM

My 1st two were c/sec. The 1st was planned for breech, so no labor. The 2nd was after 20hrs of labor and FTP, CPD, blah blah blah... My 3rd was a beautiful homebirth after 20hrs of labor. My 4th was MUCH faster which totally caught us off guard. We were expecting another long labor. I knew I was in labor at about 1am, and ds was born around 3am. My 5th was only a 3 hr labor and 6th was about 5 hrs. SO... It's definitely possible to have fast future labors even if you had a slow 1st one. For us, homebirth ended up being a safer option... otherwise ds probably would've been born in the car because I wouldn't have known to go to the hospital until it was too late!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#6 of 11 Old 06-15-2006, 11:11 PM

My second labor was so much faster than my first.

My first was 23 hours of hard labor. OY!

My second and hopefully this one was about 2.5 from start to finish. I woke up with contractions 2 minutes apart. Went to the hospital was an 8 and had the baby about 1.5 hours later. And it probably would have gone a lot faster if I had let them break my water but I waited until it was time to push.
#7 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 02:15 PM

With my first I went into the hospital on Monday night and didn't have her until Wednesday night! It was long and awful.

But with my second I had a hard contraction around noon or so and then he was born at 11:51 that night after 3 or so minutes of pushing!
#8 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 04:01 PM

My Midwife has a saying.

Firsts are long, 2nds are short, 3rds are unpredictable
#9 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 05:11 PM

For those of you who have had 2 or more births, did you go lots faster with #2 and after?

I had weeks of prodromal contractions with both my ds' and was dilated to a good 3-4 with the first and 5-6 with the 2nd when active labor kicked in. So my first "labor" was about 6 hours my last was just less than 3 hours and who knows what the third one will be? I am trying not to think about it honestly! It seems a long way off!
#10 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesiLynne
My Midwife has a saying.

Firsts are long, 2nds are short, 3rds are unpredictable
Oh well I really like that saying!
#11 of 11 Old 06-16-2006, 05:18 PM

My first labor was 1.5 hours start to finish. I felt the first contraction at
6:30pm and DD was born at 7:59pm! When I was pregnant with baby #2, we expected another fast labor....not so. His was a 26 hour long marathon.: I have absolutely NO idea what to expect with this baby, and I'm not even going to try to guess.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page