rubella scare - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow! I just got a fax from my first midwife. My blood shows immunity to rubella. Can you believe that my 3 yo DS has rubella? It is supposed to be super-rare. I guess it is just under-reported. What are the odds that he would get it while I am in the high-risk zone of pregnancy (less than 20 weeks)?

He is relaxing and feeling fine other than sleeping more, rashy face and swollen lymph nodes. It is just a 3 day disease, but boy!

During my travails over this I learned that viral infection (such as rubella) depletes the mother of Vitamin A, which is what is the main cause of birth defects in a fetus. And so, I have been adding cod liver oil, which I will keep taking anyway.

This has been crazy!

Jean

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 06-15-2006, 06:55 PM

Wow! Hope your ds gets better quickly. How did he get it?

Glad your immune... I think it is common to be immune as most ppl get it in childhood... but I could be wrong.
#3 of 4 Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel0123
Wow! Hope your ds gets better quickly. How did he get it?

Glad your immune... I think it is common to be immune as most ppl get it in childhood... but I could be wrong.
He doesn't play with very many kids, and his best good buddy was vaxed around the right time. That is all I can think of. And my DS is not vaxed. In America, I think most people get the vax, which is not as guaranteed immunity as the natural illness.

I am glad, too! And thanks for asking about DS. He is doing absolutely great. A little stir crazy, though!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#4 of 4 Old 06-15-2006, 08:37 PM

It's crazy how things work out like that sometimes I hope your ds recovers quickly.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page