Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there...
Calling all vegans
Question for you...
I am SERIOUSLY craving cottage cheese
Not crumbled tofu either...
Have you had cravings that go against your ethical food choices? How did you manage them?
Thanks!

Mel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2006, 07:35 PM

Well, I'm not vegan, but I have been a vegetarian (with an exception for some very occasional fish) for 20 years now...and I totally caved the other night and had a bite of my husband's steak (I actually didn't swallow it, since I was afraid it would kill me, but I chewed on it for a while). I honestly didn't want to - I just felt so sick and was so hungry and absolutely nothing else sounded appetizing...It actually got rid of my nausea (for a short while).

Since then, I've decided to just try to get more of what's in meat from other sources...iron from spinach, the charcoal taste from grilled veggie dogs, etc. Maybe you are craving calcium and could satisfy your cottage cheese craving some other way?

I'm still trying to figure this whole thing out myself...everyone has always told me that I might want meat when pregnant, and I thought they were crazy...now I'm not so sure...

Hang in there, mama!!
Old 06-16-2006, 07:44 PM

I'm a another veggie mama. I guess being veggie can be alot easier to deal with those meat-food cravings since there are so many faux meat products. I love veggie dogs and boca burgers
Old 06-16-2006, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't had any meat-food cravings that I haven't been able to handle...
I got some boca burgers a couple of weeks ago (and I NEVER ate those before).
My sig other's ex-wife converted back to meat-eating while pregnant and it became quite an issue for them since he is an ethical vegetarian and wanted a like-minded partner. I can understand that.
So I have not discussed this issue but have tried to just take care of it on my own.
I'm not wanting to eat animals...I can rationalize myself out of not eating flesh...but for the first time I can totally sympathize with pregnant moms who crave "food" that is unethical to them. It's hard.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:35 AM

I am also vegan but I haven't had any cravings yet.
If it's dairy products that you crave, I guess there's no need to beat yourself We all fall off the wagon once in a while.
Old 06-17-2006, 02:59 PM

I've been vegan 8 years. I don't stray, it just isn't in my personality. When I was initially vegan I craved scrambled eggs. Never gave in, but the cravings were intense sometimes. When I was pg with my son those cravings went away and never came back. I never craved animal products again. Come to think of it, I don't think I had any strong cravings with him other than eggplant.

Have you considered that it might not be the cottage cheese you really want, but some feeling that you associate with cottage cheese? Maybe you used to always eat it during a certain time or with a certain person and it became comfort food. Something like that.

Obviously, no one can tell you what to eat or not to eat. It is totally your decision.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

I have definitely considered what it is that I am craving...
And it is definitely a specific texture and flavor...not an analogue, not an imitation.
So for that reason, I would rather try and rationalize myself out of it by remembering how the "product" was manufactured...
The intensity of the cravings has driven me to tears on occasion. I feel like my body is betraying my ethics
Old 06-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel
I feel like my body is betraying my ethics
I said the exact same thing to my husband! Not sure I have a solution, but wanted to let you know you are not alone!! I know how frustrating and confusing it can be. Hang in there, mama!
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpesq
I said the exact same thing to my husband! Not sure I have a solution, but wanted to let you know you are not alone!! I know how frustrating and confusing it can be. Hang in there, mama!
Thanks Christine! I love bumping into familiar names on these forums. How are you, belly buddy? : )
P.S. Our due dates are only a few days apart.

User Tag List