the things people say - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-17-2006, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work for a childcare center and one of the mothers came in we were chatting and I told her that I was expecting. She proceeds to tell me about her 3 miscarriages that she had after seeing heartbeats and about a homebirth she had heard of where the mother pushed for 6 hours and the baby died of a brain hemmorage....who says these things to a pregnant woman!!! Lets keep a running tab of the thoughtless things people say to us for the next 7 months.

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
#2 of 13 Old 06-17-2006, 11:46 PM

Today I told my District Manager that I was pregnant and her response was, "Oh F*ck!" It was great watching her backpeddle and try to remove the foot that was wedged in her mouth. I totally understand her personality and I am not easily offended by her so I just thought the whole thing was hilarious!
#3 of 13 Old 06-18-2006, 12:06 AM

people can really say some dumb stuff sometimes!!!!!!!!!!
#4 of 13 Old 06-18-2006, 01:40 PM

where should I start? I was told not to eat too much by my (obese) friend b/c I already have a belly. ( I am very slim.)
I have been told not to be excited about my baby shower this time. I never had one last time.
There is more I just have to think of it!
Needless this "friend" and I aren't on the "ups" anymore!
#5 of 13 Old 06-18-2006, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie Posey
She proceeds to tell me about her 3 miscarriages that she had after seeing heartbeats and about a homebirth she had heard of where the mother pushed for 6 hours and the baby died of a brain hemmorage....
When I told one of my friends that we were PG and hopeful because we saw the heartbeat, she replied, "Yeah, well, remember lots of women still miscarry after they see the hearbeat. And really, you can't just expect things to go fine at any point!" She IS pregnant right now, 32 weeks! And she had a m/c before her DS, so I thought she would be sensitive. I was really hurt that she would respond to my news that way... I really make a point of telling women how beautiful my birth was with DD, how well my pg went, etc. And I have had several moms thank me for not telling horror stories. I don't know what is with people and their need to tell us all these horror stories!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#6 of 13 Old 06-19-2006, 12:01 AM

Some people are just buttheads. nasty by nature?? I remember when I told my coworker/friend that I was pregnant with DS she laughed at me and said you gonna get so FAT. ( we had just dieted and lost like 80lbs together) and I honestly think she was happy that I would gain the weight back. Grrr.. I did gain alot but I lost most of it after the birth alone. Some people just don't think. So far noone has said anything negative during this pregnancy at least not to my face.. but I am older and wiser and I will tell them to kiss off. Whoops darn those hormones :
#7 of 13 Old 06-19-2006, 09:58 AM

My husbands evil step-mother asked me yesterday if this baby was planned. What kind of question is that??? We're in our 30's, own our own home, have a beautiful dd already...I don't think we've proven ourselves to be unfit.
Sheesh!
Suzy

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#8 of 13 Old 06-19-2006, 11:18 AM

Ran into a family' friend' yesterday...hadn't seen her in years and I told her I was pregnant...she looked at me and said - 'well i didn't want to be rude, but i was thinking that you have gained a lot of weight. i guess it's for a good reason though.' (b#%ch!)

and yes, many many people have proceeded to tell me about how they miscarried at 11 weeks and how devestating it was. Uhhh, thanks. cause i wasn't paranoid enough already!
#9 of 13 Old 06-19-2006, 02:29 PM

We are expecting our 4th and EVERYONE except 2 GF's and my sister have asked if the pg was planned.

"Oh, no" is the other one I get. Where that comes from I have no idea. We are happily married, have a home and 3 great kids.
#10 of 13 Old 06-19-2006, 05:15 PM

I had a *friend* that, when I told her I was thinking I might be pregnant (we'd been trying a few months, and she knew that) but was still getting neg. preg. tests said "I bet it's ectopic...."

Who says that to someone?
#11 of 13 Old 06-19-2006, 06:02 PM

The best two comments from my pregnancy with DD where related to my weight. My uncle's b*tchy wife, over Thanksgiving dinner, was commenting on how many calories were in the meal. I said that calories on Thanksgiving don't count, to which she replied, "I've been meaning to ask you exactly how much weight you are suppose to gain, but I guess that comment shows you don't care how fat you are!" And the next came from a parent where I was teaching, he said, "I'ld noticed you were wider from behind but I didn't guess you were pregnant!" What??? Are you kidding! People!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#12 of 13 Old 06-20-2006, 02:59 AM
Banned

Pretty much the standard response I get to telling people I'm pregnant is "Don't you know what causes that?" Duhhhh, no I haven't figured it out yet.
#13 of 13 Old 06-20-2006, 06:12 PM

When I was pregnant with ds, I had to fly up to VA for my fathers funeral. My "step mom" comes up to me at the viewing and says "Wow, you really put on some weight". In front of everyone. I then informed her that I was 8, yes eight, months pregnant. Mind you, she hadn't seen me since I was 6.

It didn't help any that she was smashed either.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page