How many people are spreading the word today? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's father's day... perfect time to tell the grandpa to be, I suppose.

I think we're telling our parents today. My parents are taking my oldest DD out to the mall to go on a shopping spree. When they do this, they usually buy me some clothes, too. So, yesterday I took DD to the mall, showed her a cute maternity outfit that I like, and told DD to tell her grandma to buy that for me. When my mom tells DD I don't need that, DD will tell her "Yes, she doooooeees!" I figure it's safest for DD to tell my parents. That way it will be less likely to receive negative comments (this is child #4, and I'm not married this time around).
#2 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 10:57 AM

We waited until Mother's Day to tell MIL that we were expecting. I was about 5-7 weeks along.

She hated it. Acted like we had ruined HER day. Later, I realiezed that she thought that it meant the end of her getting honored on Mother's Day.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

#3 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 12:41 PM

Ann-Marita - that's terrible! :

Doesn't your MIL realize she'll have one more reason to celebrate Mother's Day with the birth of a grandchild? :

Work-in-progress - hope the news goes over well and that your mom buys you a cute new maternity outfit!
#4 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 01:37 PM

My parents have known for a while. My outlaws don't know and I don't plan on telling them until they want to see ds... which is twice a yr his bday (april) and xmas.

I told our church today and will tell my playgroup tommorow. I feel so much more real now I saw the hb and my perfect baby on u/s.
#5 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

So, I told my parents. I figured I'd tell my mom at her happy place... Fashion Bug. Actually, I let my 8 y/o daughter tell her. My mom was looking at clothes, and my daughter told her there was something she wanted her to buy for me. So, DD dragged my mom over to the maternity clothes. My mom looked at my daughter and said "But, it's maternity..." and then she spun around, looked at me, and burst into tears, and hugged me. Then she yelled "I KNEW IT! I TOLD YOUR FATHER YOU WERE PREGNANT!" My father came into the store a few minutes later, because my brother called their cell phone, and he handed the phone off to my dad. I told my dad "Never question the unfaulting wisdom of your wife." "Huh?" "She said she told you something earlier this week, and she was right." "You're pregnant?" "Yup."

Mind you my parents haven't seen me since before I got pregnant. My mother said her mother's intuition had been ringing off the hook. She said it's a girl. We shall see.

Last week she also had a premonition that my brother was going to Baghdad. He left Mozul the other day, and he is in fact over in Baghdad now.

Oh, and of course my parents met the daddy to be. Unfortunately, he had been to a party the night before, and had drunk pretty heavily. He normally doesn't drink at all. I think the last time he had a drink was 3 months ago. But last night he got trashed, and didn't go to sleep until 11am this morning, and we picked him up to go out for dinner at 4pm. Needless to say he was looking pretty rough, and he wasn't as impressive as he would normally be. Plus the fact that he has a REALLY deep voice, and my father is mostly deaf doesn't help communication. But, there's no reason for them to not like him, besides the fact that he knocked up their baby girl, and he was hung over upon first meeting. Hahahahaha!
#6 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 07:51 PM

So glad things went well for you... funny about the mothers instinct. My mom knew I was in labor and went to the hospital and I had't even called her. (I was a week early too. lol)
#7 of 10 Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 PM

I told my mom on Mother's Day, just a few days after we found out. I then figured I should tell my dad today, cuz it'd be neat I think to have told them on their respective "days". But DH hasn't told any of his family yet. He wants to wait until closer to the end of first trimester.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#8 of 10 Old 06-19-2006, 02:52 PM

My mom came for the weekend because dad had to be out of town. I didn't tell her the first day because I wanted to see if she'd notice. She didn't. Her response wasn't quite as negative as I had anticipated but still I wouldn't call it positive. Oh, and she said she hopes it is a girl, couching it that it would be easier for *me*. : This from the woman who, when I called after u/s with ds and said it's a boy she said "Oh." Long pause. "Are they sure?"

She called dad and he said, "Glad it isn't her sister." Nice. My sister isn't married and he doesn't like the boyfriend, but still.

Dh told the resident gossip at work and let her spread it. He told his (divorced) parents last week and said his dad was happy. Now that I think of it, he didn't mention what his mom said. :
#9 of 10 Old 06-19-2006, 02:59 PM

i still haven't told anyone except DH and two close friends. coming just weeks after all the marital troubles with DH, i don't think my family would be too pleased about a pregnancy. i'll wait till i absolutely HAVE to tell.
#10 of 10 Old 06-19-2006, 08:37 PM

i told my parents and my inlaws this weekend.....there were a bunch of different ractions but all of them were good!

Emma wore a shirt that said "I'm gonna be a big sister"....it was amazing how long it took some people to look at her shirt!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page