Caffeine - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How anal are you about not having caffeine at all??

With my first pregnancy I rarely had it and if I did it was in the form of a Pepsi!

With my second I managed to refrain the whole 1st trimester but then I broke down during the second trimester cause I was having some headaches that the caffeine helped.

Now this time I haven't had it since the day I found out I was pregnant... I am dying for a Dr Pepper!

I heard or read somewhere that it can risk you chance of early miscarriage... and I think I am just paranoid...

So what are you habits when it comes the addicting stuff?
#2 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 05:57 PM

I'm not really vary careful with caffine. I was a big coffee junkie prior to being PG, I weaned myself slowly down to just decaf. I still have a cup of 50/50 now and then, today I had a bit of an iced cappuccino, and the other day I had about half a can of Coke. I try not to have any, but if I slip a little, I don't stress about it! With my DD I had no caffiene during the first trimester, then a cup of 50/50 a day during the second and third. I tend not to worry too much about most of the "rules." I follow them the best I can but I don't berate myself for slipping up here and there. I had a friend who didn't even eat chocolate during her pregnancy because she was so worried about the caffiene. I worry about a million other things, but not about caffiene, lunch meat, alcohol used in cooked foods, etc.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#3 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 06:04 PM

I still have caffiene. If I remember correctly that study linking the caffiene to early misscarraige was with rediculous amounts of it.
#4 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 06:36 PM

Yeah, I think it was the equivalent of 6 cans of pop or 2-4 venti coffees a day.

At first I was totally anal about avoiding it all together. Then I read about how much caffeine they were talking about.

I'm trying to limit it still, but I've been allowing myself one caffinated drink a day: one can/bottle of coke or one cup of coffee. I'm trying not to get too worked up about it, reminding myself that my mom drank coffee all thru both her pregnancies.
#5 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 06:48 PM

I am a caffeine addict and worked at our families coffee shop for 7 years. It was hard for me to break the habit but I switched to decaf. I think I just like the taste coffee so that worked but on occasion I drink a glass of Coke. I don't think you have to worry about a miscarriage unless you are drinking tons of caffine. I've read a few articles and they said one or two cups a day is fine.
#6 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 06:54 PM

Well, I try to avoid it as much as possible, mainly because of how it affects me. I had a touch of high blood pressure during my last pregnancy, and so I avoid caffeine in hopes of avoiding that again. I notice a more rapid heart rate after I drink caffeine, but some of that could be the sugar that's in it... the other fun thing I try to avoid during pregnancy. I'll probably cave at some point and have a Dr.Pepper here and there, but definitely not daily.. maybe one a month? I'm seeing how long I can avoid it altogether for now.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#7 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 08:04 PM

i'm a lifelong caffeine addict and have the worst time with withdrawal so i haven't given it up.

i did read, however, that less than 300 mg of caffeine a day is fine for pregnant women. that's a lot of caffeine, considering a cup of coffee has between 70-100 mg and black tea only has 40-50 mg per cup. i'm not terribly worried about it.
#8 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 08:30 PM

I was so anal with my 1st pg I never had any. This time I have the odd cup of iced tea when I crave it. Not so worried this time around.
#9 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 10:42 PM

I try to avoid it but my RE did say that a cup or two of coffee a day is perfectly ok. My only problem is I like to go to Starbucks and get the REALLY big toffee nut latte
#10 of 15 Old 06-19-2006, 11:27 PM

I haven't had any, save for a little chocolate here and there. On Saturday, I made the huge mistake of drinking some iced green tea. About 5 minutes later, I had to to RUN to the bathroom. I forgot caffeine gets the bowels moving along so well!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#11 of 15 Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Well I am not overly worried about it... Just trying to decided whether I want to continue to challenge myself not to drink it or just give in!

What I hate about drinking the caffiene while pregnant is that I would have to make numerous trips to the bathroom afterwards!
#12 of 15 Old 06-20-2006, 07:17 PM

I've been doing so well...but boy, bubble tea. Yummy, goopy, super-sweet, vaguely creepy bubble tea.

Can I cry "craving"?

read.gif, mom to wild.gif and dust.gif, partner to malesling.GIF
#13 of 15 Old 06-20-2006, 08:22 PM

My body was entirely off tea (which is my main source of caffeine) but now that its allowing me to have some I am definitely drinking it! Partly because of the taste, and partly because this is #3 and I NEED CAFFEINE.

I dont worry about it at all. I never have more than 3 cups a day anyway, spread out. I had it through both my previous pregnancies also.

I wouldnt hesitate to have a Pepsi now and then either, but I dont drink it often so I dont feel like its a big deal at all. Everything in moderation!
#14 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 03:17 PM

My one huge vice is Pepsi. I always (pregnant or not pregnant) limit myself to one a day.

Taylor, committed to my Soldier. Lovin' my boys. Gabriel ('05) , Xavier ('07) and Mason ('09). Proud HBAC mama x 2.
#15 of 15 Old 06-21-2006, 04:04 PM

I have half a cup of 50/50 a couple times a week but my mom said she lived on coffee when she was pregnant with me and my brother so I'm not going to be a caffiene Nazi.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page