What color eyes will your baby have (quiz) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 12 Old 08-07-2006, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
angel0123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 530
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try this for fun... http://museum.thetech.org/ugenetics/...alculator.html
angel0123 is offline  
#2 of 12 Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM
 
bleumoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: central Ohio
Posts: 824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow DS is a long shot! We evidently have a 12% chance of having a blue eyed child, and DS has blue eyes. Go figure. I suppose it's safe to assume all future babies will likely have brown eyes! How funny if all our kids beat the odds and have blue eyes

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
bleumoose is offline  
#3 of 12 Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
 
Mrs.PhD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Royal Oak MI
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It wouldn't let me do it. It didn't belive that 2 blue eyed parents could have a child with green eyes (mine are more hazel, golden, green, but not brown in any way.) It said it couldn't happen. I know we have been wondering about it, but still.

My Dh has brown eyes, his brother blue. My oldest has brown eyes, my youngest blue.

I know we are freaks of nature! :
Mrs.PhD is offline  
#4 of 12 Old 08-08-2006, 12:05 AM
 
juliansmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, the test is way too simple...What if your grandparents carried a blue-eyed gene and your parents both ended up with brown eyes but passed on a blue recessive to you?
juliansmom is offline  
#5 of 12 Old 08-08-2006, 09:50 AM
 
pbreffe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That is crazy!! Because according to that I should only have a 9% chance of having blue eyed kids... Both of my kids have blue eyes!

Go figure!
pbreffe is offline  
#6 of 12 Old 08-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Banned
 
a_work_in_progress's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,661
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
25% blue, 75% green.

With my stbx, it's 50-50, blue/green. We have 3 little blue eyed beauties.


But, I put green for my eyes. In all actuality, I can't describe my eye color. When I experience strong emotions, my eyes are green. When I'm mellow, my eyes are brown. And on a day to day basis, they're actually the same color as my hair (RED!). My ID says hazel.
a_work_in_progress is offline  
#7 of 12 Old 08-08-2006, 11:18 AM
 
eli janine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: north of normal
Posts: 614
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This was interesting for sure...but it was hard to figure out what to put for eye color for me, and also for anyone with hazel eyes. If I put it in with myself having blue eyes and FIL (who is hazel) as green, DH and I had a 33% green and 66% blue. Our son has big blue peepers. But if I put in my eye color as green, we have only a 12% chance of blue and the rest green. When I brought my son to the eye doctor, she said, "Oh, he has the most beautiful blue eyes, but they'll probably turn green like yours when he's an adult." I was like, "My eyes are green? I always thought they were blue!" Who knows. It depends on my mood, my clothing, whatever. But, I thought it was interesting that even though my father has brown eyes, and DH's father has hazel eyes, DH and I never came up with any brown eyed children. Hmmm.
eli janine is offline  
#8 of 12 Old 08-08-2006, 06:39 PM
 
velveeta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 2,607
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansmom
Well, the test is way too simple...What if your grandparents carried a blue-eyed gene and your parents both ended up with brown eyes but passed on a blue recessive to you?
I agree. It is neat, though. It is based on a two-gene model, and eye color comes from many genes.

It was fun. All I am saying is that the baby better not have brown eyes or DH is gonna be mad!! Out of 6 possible offspring, 5 would be green and 1 would be blue. Our DS is blue.

Thanks for sharing this cool thing!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
velveeta is offline  
#9 of 12 Old 08-08-2006, 08:10 PM
 
Brazilianmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Albury, Australia
Posts: 586
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ther's no hazel eyes option so I put that my mom and dad and myself have brown eyes and my dh parents have green eyes(That's true) and DH has blue eyes that he got from his grandfather so it came out like this:
its said that I have 13.6 % of having a blue eyed child and a 72.7% to have a brown eyed child: My dd has blue eyes and they haven't change a thing..
But if a try for my family with green eyes the results are:
75.5% of green eyes and 25% of blue eyes hmmm
: :
Brazilianmommy is offline  
#10 of 12 Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 AM
 
meggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our baby supposedly has a 50% chance of having brown eyes, a 35% chance of having blue eyes, and a 15% chance of having green eyes. I'm curious what the truth will be!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

meggles is offline  
#11 of 12 Old 08-15-2006, 05:32 PM
 
kaspar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 737
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_work_in_progress
But, I put green for my eyes. In all actuality, I can't describe my eye color. When I experience strong emotions, my eyes are green. When I'm mellow, my eyes are brown. And on a day to day basis, they're actually the same color as my hair (RED!). My ID says hazel.
i'm hazel too! wonder why they didn't have that as a choice... mine change from green to yellow to brown to (very occasionally) blue.

when i selected "brown" for my eyes, we get a brown-eyed baby; when i selected "green", there's a 1 in 5 chance of a blue-eyed baby.
kaspar is offline  
#12 of 12 Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 PM
 
cpop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this test and it is fun, but if you do a little more digging around online you will find a lot of articles that talk about how eye color inheritance is a lot more complex than we were taught in biology class and that it involves at least three genes, plus that this simple model doesn't really account for the vast variety of shades of eye color.
I mean it isn't like people really have either brown, blue or green eyes. There are multitudes of shades.
Still it is fun.
cpop is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off