my husband is insane..he wants to name the baby... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2006, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Excalibur.. and I think he is serious.

help me convinve him this is almost as bad as naimg the child "beat me up on the playground."

and also any ideas of cool names that go along with the middle and last names we have which are William for a middle name and our last name rhymes with mailin'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2006, 11:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
how abuot William Excalibur?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:41 PM

My brother is William Patrick, so how about Patrick William?

And if you did name him Excalibur can you just imagine the jokes when he becomes sexually active?
Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 PM

Maybe you could compromise and name ds some odd-yet-kick-a$$ name like Thor or Magnus. Excaliber is sure to get beat up on the playground, but who's gonna mess with Magnus? Can you tell we watch a little too much late night World's Strongest Man Competitions on tv? We joked with #1 that we were going to name him Magnus Ver Magnussen Anderson. Nobody would ever mess with a kid with that kind of name.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:35 PM

You knowmy dh would come up with a name like that. Thats a type of hunting bow or gun? My dh had his head set on Gunnar.... uhmm noway!
Is your dh a hunter?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:36 PM

Just want to add I comprimised and told him he could name our next dog that name. lol
Old 08-28-2006, 12:51 PM

I know I'm not a regular on this forum but I saw the title and had to post,

I will say that Excalibur is a bit of a tough one. But an unsusal name isn't a guarantee of being beaten up in school these days. Loads of kids have wierd names and there just aren't enough bullies to go 'round :

My dh wanted to name our child Brazil Rain (our surname is Forest)!!! : So I know how you feel

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 08-28-2006, 12:56 PM

We just met a kid named "rembrandt"! almost the same time period... They called him "remy". Kinda cute!
Old 08-28-2006, 12:59 PM

wow, yeah...I don't know. I'm still fighting for another name besides Corbin, which really doesn't sound bad next to Excalibur
Old 08-28-2006, 01:07 PM

My dad was dead set on naming me Badgley. My mother threatened the nurses at the hospital and told them that under NO circumstances should the birth certificate paperwork be given to my father to fill out.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:23 PM

Not in your ddc, but as a former teacher...yeah, your dh is hell-bent on condemning the poor kid to a lifetime of misery. And school isn't even the worst of it.

Excalibur is not the kind of name that only kids will poke fun at, like Tucker, for example. I mean, when Tucker grows up, even the most obnoxious guys at work aren't going to call him F*cker. (Not to his face, anyway).

But when baby Excalibur grows up, there is not a day that will go by when he's not going to have to deal with double-takes, raised eyebrows and questions. It's going to get really, really old. Meeting women. Job interviews. Spelling it over the phone. Assumptions that he's an extreme SCA type. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if he changed it to Cal VERY early on.

I'm with Lilyka. Call him William Excalibur. A very bizarre middle name is kind of cool. A very bizarre first name is just unkind.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:32 PM

Oh, my! I'm sorry. I think the middle name suggestion is a good one.

My big concern would not only be being picked on at school, but it doesn't sound very professional for once he's older you know? I mean, can you picture having your taxes or teeth or whatever done by Excalibur Smith? Unless you're planning on having him be a Las Vegas performer when he grows up....

Our rule is we *both* have to like a name. No matter how much one of us likes it if we aren't both on board we just won't use it, end of story.

Good luck!

Holly
Old 08-28-2006, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your replies,.. the middle name is kind of a cool idea.. I know I will let him name this child Excalibur over my dead body only. I just needed a lil back up power..part of me thinks he is serious and part of me thinks he is torturing me because I ask him 17 thousand times a day if he likes this name or that name.. in fact I cannot hear a name with out asking him what he thinks so I think this is his way of saying he chose a name now just be quiet. If I have my way ...

I am naming my son Xavier William ( I think ) he (my DH) gets to chose the last name.

( I just like to keep my options open )

Thanks again Mamas
Old 08-28-2006, 02:01 PM

I was just going to suggest Xavier! It's not too far from the other, and much less likely to cause any teasing. Good luck!

+ (13 years together)= (9), (9), (2) and
Old 08-28-2006, 02:57 PM

...waiting to see how this progresses!
Old 08-28-2006, 03:43 PM

and besides . . if you call him excallibur he will just change it when he gets older anyway . . .

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:56 PM

I'm sorry...I had to laugh when I saw the name Excalibur because it is a popular theme hotel in Las Vegas (for those of you who don't know)...medieval themed everything. Because of my association, naming a child Excalibur would be like naming him Bally or Radisson or Luxor.

http://www.excalibur.com/landing/2006/

I really don't like it as a name but I like the suggestion of a similar name maybe..Xavier is cool.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:34 PM

Peeking in from December thread...

I'm so relieved you put your foot down on that name!

A good friend of mine caved in to her dh's request to name the baby "The Explorer". Their last name is "Magellan." The middle name is-- you guessed it-- "Ferdinand."

They actually call the kid "The Explorer" when referring to him in the third person, as in, "Sorry we can't make it to dinner. We couldn't find a sitter for The Explorer." The boy is now three years old. I cannot imagine what will happen when he starts school.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansmom
They actually call the kid "The Explorer" when referring to him in the third person, as in, "Sorry we can't make it to dinner. We couldn't find a sitter for The Explorer." The boy is now three years old. I cannot imagine what will happen when he starts school.
:

that is awesome. I can't believe they put it on the birth certificate though.

Old 08-28-2006, 09:03 PM

My dh wanted to name our son Harrison. That name is fine unless you have a last name that is also another word for a male body part. Harry ____. (Which is also why our children's last name is hypenated to help out!)Obviously I thought it was the most hysterical thing and of course said NO WAY! Now our boys name is Leif which I love but he wants his middle name to be Ericson as in the Viking. It is a family name and they supposedly are descendants but I just do not want to name my child after someone else! SO we may have compromised to Leif Edan Ericson so I and baby can conveniently leave off the 2nd middle name easily. Lets pray for a girl!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
Old 08-28-2006, 09:25 PM

when my youngest was born my dh walked up to me a few hours after giving birth and said, "i know what her name is."
i said, "what."
he said, "Opium, but we can call her Poppy."
i think i laughed out loud and said, "why don't we sleep before we name her."
he was resonable with the other kids names but couldn't tell why i was saying no way to this one.
i said somthing along the lines of i thought it was an unspoken rule not to name the children after drugs.
he said just picture the flower and that lots of people would think of the flower before the drug.
i said he was insane.
we named her OPAL instead.
i think he is still a little grumpy
Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 PM

OK - am I the only one that has been thinking "Ssshhhwing" all day after reading this thread? (A'la Wayne's World).

I think think the middle name route is best for this one.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansmom
Peeking in from December thread...

I'm so relieved you put your foot down on that name!

A good friend of mine caved in to her dh's request to name the baby "The Explorer". Their last name is "Magellan." The middle name is-- you guessed it-- "Ferdinand."

Wow. There are no words. Sometimes I think Parenting Licences are a good idea.

Had I been a boy, I was going to be Jesse James. Thank God for small favors...

Last night, my bf, whose name is Ryan, and I were talking about baby names. We're waiting to find out the gender, so I thought we needed one girl's name and one boy's name. Apparently, Ryan is not content with that. "What if they don't LOOK like a Darren John or a Catherine Anne?" So, according to him, we need at least two, preferrably three names for each gender, so we can decide what the kid looks like.

Anyway, I said I would start hunting for names. He said he would look in the baseball encylopedia, b/c all the names in the world were in there (and he's a baseball fanatic). Then I had the brilliant idea that we could name the kid Nolan Ryan. Ya know, a tribute to the pitcher and our kid's father. I originally started it as a joke, but the more we talked about it, the more it kinda grew on me, and now I really like it. It sounds good together. And that's how Nolan Ryan became our #2 boy's name.

I briefly considered that maybe this was crazy, but decided that it wasn't bizarre enough for me to get worked up about. And I don't care what other people think.

And now I can tell people that at least I didn't name my child The Explorer.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

DH confessed last night... he is not serious.. but dang he is a good liar.
he says that as a joke we should tell my aunt ( the one who hated the original name we chose and felt the need to tell us it was awful (xavier)) that we are naming the baby Merlin Excalibur.... just to hear her reaction.. but I told him thats not nice... but the idea is funny.... so anyhow... Excalibur has been nixed as a name.. but somehow I think my prankster DH will figure a way to make it a nickname just to torture me some more.... ahhh men... can't live with em' can't kill em' and hide the bodies.. ( not supposed to lift more then 35lbs...right now anyway)
Old 08-29-2006, 02:44 PM

Well, at least it was a joke....even if it was a bad one! Now we have to think of a way to get him back
Old 08-29-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I thought about that.. the getting him back thing.. if he wasn't going to be there for my U/S on tuesday I was going to tell him we are having multiples....lol!!! but since he will be there I have to think of something else..any ideas??
Old 08-29-2006, 05:07 PM

I like Xavier William also. (My DS is William Elijah.)
Old 08-29-2006, 06:22 PM

What a joker! He was pulling your leg?
Old 08-30-2006, 05:38 PM

I didn't dare tell dh about the name excaliber but last night he said you know I should name him exclabur (sp) after my bow.
Sheesh... I told you my dh would think of that name and now he has.
Old 08-30-2006, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Oh NO Laura!!! maybe you can derail him with another Xavier.... we can both name our babies Xavier..and one day tell them the story of how they narrowly missed being named Xcalibur..

User Tag List