Low Lying Placenta - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2006, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi- At my 20 week appointment, I found out that my 18 week u/s indicated a "somewhat low lying placenta" : My midwife was more than a little annoyed because usually they indicate distance from the cervix, etc. I guess they have been having some problems with the new u/s techs at this particular u/s place affiliated with the hospital. I'll have a repeat u/s at 34 weeks to make sure the placenta has moved away from the cervix as the utereus grows up.

From what my midiwfe said and what I've read, it sounds like something like 90% of cases of low-lying placentas or placenta previa at second trimeser u/s's are "resolved" by the 34 week u/s. Still, it's a little unnerving. The thought that we "might" have to have a c-section, or get put on bed rest, or both, just made a fairly significant jump.

I had such an uneventful, uncomplicated pregnancy and birth with DD. I just assumed that everything would go that way again, and while there is every reason to think that I WON'T need a c-section or have other complications, this has changed my mindset. For instance, I am RH- and had decided to waive the 28 week Rhogham shot. I'll probably get it now though, because my risk of bleeding in the third trimester is a fair amount higher with possible placenta previa. And I have to realistically be prepared for what we'll do if have to have a c-section, or if I end up on bedrest at 34 weeks (fun Christmas/New Years!) Anyway, just wanted to share and see if anyone else has had something like this happen?

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 AM

I'm in the Dec due date club, but I was diagnosed with low lying placenta at the 20 wk u/s (I am now at 26 weeks).

I had the u/s done at a separate location because it was level II, and the attending OB freaked me out a little bit...However, a week later, I saw my regular OB: She reassured me that it is nothing to worry about and that most conditions like this resolve themselves because the placenta moves up as the uterus grows. Also, she did not put me on any restrictions at all.

Still, I do think about it from time to time. I know it would not be the end of the world if I have to have a c-section, but I want so much to avoid getting one! My OB wants me to do another u/s (in her office) at 28 weeks, so I'll know more then.

Sending you good vibes for that placenta to move up...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:58 AM

No experiences with low lying placentas myself, but fwiw my mom had that issue with me and it moved up without a problem.

Sending you placenta moving vibes!

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
Old 09-04-2006, 08:53 AM

Hi, I had complete previa at my 20 week ultrasound with number one. By 28 weeks, with much prayer, it had completely moved up and away.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Old 09-04-2006, 01:48 PM

I'm not sure if I have placenta previa or not, but I can hear my placenta quite low when I listen with a fetascope. I asked my MW about it, and she said it's heard to tell, but that we should hear the placenta up higher as my uterus grows. I'm pretty sure that with complete previa (in later pg), most people have bleeding and/or cramping.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 09-04-2006, 06:09 PM

I had this with my first pregnancy, it resolved itself. Your uterus grows from the bottom so the chances of it resolving are very very good. Sorry you have to worry about it though.

Mama to Q (9/03) and M (12/06) :
Old 09-04-2006, 11:20 PM

and they both resolved before week 28. I have it again and have every indication that it will resolve again. My complication is the previous c-section scar tissue that can potentially interfere with the placenta movement. Still, I am not worried.

As far as I can tell, it is not uncommon for the placenta to be low lying at 18-20 weeks. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Amy

Mom to:

Katie 8-8-99
Alexis 12-27-01
Sarah 9-16-04
and one more....Oscar Robert due 1-16-07
Old 09-05-2006, 07:09 PM

Hi IloveMary,

Everyone has said great things here about the placenta migrating up...

I just wanted to add that I had a u/s result like that once for a client and basically the deal is that it is just low lying, it is not covering or even close enough to the cervix to give it even a grade of placenta previa...in other words, it is not a previa at all. You can call them up, or have your midwife call to confirm this. But, I can tell you that with obstetrical liability the way it is these days, and even 'back in the day' you would have to have a pretty irresponsible sonographer that didn't actually report a previa to your provider. If they didn't and you had a cervical exam or a pap for example ...they would be contraindicated...they could cause placental rupture. Also, they would want your provider to know so that they could instruct you what s/s to look for in case of a bleed.

So, safe bet yours is just what is says, low lying, not a previa and it will most likely move. And by the way some marginal previas can still have a vaginal birth.

This also most likely means it should not effect your Rhogam decision. You can discuss this with your midwife.

Best, Paige
Old 09-07-2006, 05:31 AM

Me too! I just found out yesterday after 21wks. It's marginal and my dr. said it will probably move up. However, she wanted me to be aware that I may have to have a c-section. My only limitations so far is no sex until my next u/s in 4 weeks. My hubby is not so happy about that I am trying to be positive and hope for the best. I really want as natural a birth as possible for me.

Everyone
Old 09-07-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaNY
Me too! I just found out yesterday after 21wks. It's marginal and my dr. said it will probably move up. However, she wanted me to be aware that I may have to have a c-section. My only limitations so far is no sex until my next u/s in 4 weeks. My hubby is not so happy about that I am trying to be positive and hope for the best. I really want as natural a birth as possible for me.

Everyone
Do you have marginal placenta previa? Or a low lying placenta? Mine is a low lying placenta. I don't have a repeat u/s until 34 weeks and I have no restrictions. I just read online that it is common to have a 'pelvic rest' restriction if you have placenta previa OR a low-lying placenta. I was pretty surprised since my midwife didn't recomend any restrictions. I've had ALOT of pressure too, which we talked about, but she just said to call if the pressure becomes regular like contractions or doesn't go away after an hour or so. I tend to be a worrier, so of course, I worry that she isn't worrying enough! :

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 09-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Butting in from December DDC to add my experience.

During my 18 wk ultrasound the placenta was very low lying (1 cm from cervix), with the cord attached low, over the cervix (battledore placenta). My doc wasn't too concerned, but cautioned me to notify them of bleeding. No restrictions.

At about 22 wks, I had bleeding, which really concerned them. The ultrasound at the ER (I was on vacation) didn't show anything, but the placenta and cord were still in the same location. My doc became concerned with the possibility of membranes growing over the cervix opening (vasa previa). After this, I was restricted to no sex , heavy lifting, or flying (for work).

Yesterday I had an ultrasound (26 wks) and they have pretty much ruled out the membrane problem, thankfully. But, the placenta is still laying very close to the cervix and the cord is attached next to the cervix, marginally, which is still a big concern. Also, cord is blocking the cervix.

Even after all of this, the doc is still hopeful that the uterus will stretch, things will move, the cord is attached well, and I won't have to have a c-section. I have to have yet another u/s in a month at a hospital with a better machine. We are aware that a c-section is possible. It sure is not the best option, but the baby is growing well which is the most important aspect.

to you mamas. In most cases this resolves itself. I hope it does for all of us!

Sorry for the long post!

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27

User Tag List