Need to Vent....got "laid off" - Mothering Forums
January 2007 > Need to Vent....got "laid off"
OldFashionedGirl's Avatar OldFashionedGirl 08:03 PM 11-16-2006
I work...well, worked, in a small gas station in a small town (pop. 700). I have worked there for about 3 years and thru as many owners. There were a total of 4 emp. (incl. me); I worked two nights a week. Tonight, I go into work, and my boss (who just took over in May) says, "Amanda, before you go back there...things have really slowed down this time of year and I won't be needing you anymore. I'll be covering your shifts."

Totally out of the blue. Esp. considering that he's had a help wanted sign up for the last two months. Esp. since one of the other emps. has her boyfriend up there with her on a nightly basis. He's never spoke w/ me about anything I was doing wrong, etc...

I said, cheerfully no less, "Oh; okay. Here's the keys. See ya around!" I was fine (in shock, I suppose), until about 5 blks away and then I turned into a blubbering mess.

All I can think now is, "Wow. It really takes balls to fire a pregnant chick a month before Christams."

And the fact that no employer is going to overly eager to hire someone who is very visably pregnant and will need time off in two months.

I do have another job (I bartend three nights a week), but frankly, I needed both.

I'm not sure whether to scream or cry.

Ugh.

Merry Christmas : :

blissfish's Avatar blissfish 08:13 PM 11-16-2006
OHMYGAWD!!! THAT'S JUST TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Amanda! Oh, jeez jeez jeez! That's so frustrating! Do you qualify for any unemployment benefits?

What unmitigated GALL to fire his pregnant employee! OHMYGAWDDDDD!!!!!!
OldFashionedGirl's Avatar OldFashionedGirl 08:22 PM 11-16-2006
I'm not sure if I qualify for unemployment or not, but Mom told me I should apply for it. Can't do any harm.
swtpesq's Avatar swtpesq 08:30 PM 11-16-2006
I'm so sorry, Amanda.

One word: lawsuit. Seriously.
PortraitPixie's Avatar PortraitPixie 09:22 PM 11-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpesq View Post
I'm so sorry, Amanda.

Ummm, exactly. : You poor thing!

I know how it feels to be laid off right before hte holidays...

SOmething will come up!!
Ahappymel's Avatar Ahappymel 09:38 PM 11-16-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtpesq View Post
I'm so sorry, Amanda.

You know, she's got something here...
The whole "Help Wanted" sign in the window is highly suspicious....if it's so slow, why is he hiring more help?
BrooklynDoula's Avatar BrooklynDoula 09:42 PM 11-16-2006
Not from your DDC but pg and mad for you all the same! If nothing else, you should threaten him with a lawsuit - presenting to him the facts (your long record of working there, his help wanted sign, the illegality of firing a pg woman, etc.) and explain to him that you want your job back (same times, same pay, etc) or you will pursue a lawsuit against him. What a jerk.
blastomom's Avatar blastomom 09:53 PM 11-16-2006
What? No notice? No severance? No nothing? Give me a break! If you can, get up the courage to calmly let him know that it feels like a really cheap shot to fire the pg girl right before the holidays, especially since you have been such a loyal employee, and at the very least he should be offering you two weeks pay since you are being let go without cause.
bleumoose's Avatar bleumoose 10:43 PM 11-16-2006
WOW that really sucks Amanda. Can you get unemployment benefits? I agree with the others, it is awfully suspicious that he let you go but has a help wanted sign up. Could you go back and talk to him about the reasons he let you go?

Good luck, I hope you can find another job - going into christmas hopefully there are some places around you that would be wanting seasonal help.
Shenandoah's Avatar Shenandoah 11:26 PM 11-16-2006
I'm not in favor of legal action in general, but this really does seem like blatant discrimination. Do/did you get any kind of benefits with this job? Maternity leave, etc.
MacKinnon's Avatar MacKinnon 01:32 AM 11-17-2006
Oh, that really sucks! Sorry
velveeta's Avatar velveeta 11:17 AM 11-17-2006
Oh, I am so sorry to hear this! That guy is absolutely unbelievable! You're right -- I simply can't imagine what kind of person fires a pregnant lady right before Christmas.

I have been laid off myself and besides the $$, it really just hurts your feelings. I remember when I was fired, I first told my boyfriend (now my DH), who worked there, too. He got so upset! And he didn't even believe it at first. It was just awful.

I wish I knew more about unemployment. My DH is self-employed, so he's the only employee, and *he* has to pay unemployment to the state for himself. We live in NC, but it would be worth investigating, wherever you are. I would think that most employers would be required to contribute to that. It was also that way in Texas, where we used to live.

I will be thinking of you -- I am really mad! You didn't deserve that. I am hoping that this will open the door for something better.
Up