nursing bras and shirts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else trying to figure out what size to buy?

Last time my boobs got gigantic when my milk came in. I went from a D to a DDD. They settle to a DD after a week or two but didn't go down to a C until ds was well over a year. I had bought a S+ bravado because I thought it would be the right size but it never fit properly. The milk fairy couldn't possibly overendow me so much again, right? I know, I should order the S++ and be done with it.

Shirts are another story. Because my boobs got so big but the rest of me returned to normal size within a few weeks I couldn't find a shirt that fit properly. Anyone have a similar experience? Want to whine too?
#2 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 05:09 PM

I have the S++ Bravado bras, They worked great last time. I like cardigans and zippered sweaters to hide the huge boobs under the ill fitted shirts. around the house i usually just wore a bra and threw on a sweater or pj top if i had guests.
#3 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 05:46 PM

My bra size barely changed with #1. I'm a big C/small D and they really didn't fluxuate much. As far as nursing shirts, I found them more irritating than useful and just ended up wearing regular shirts and hiking them up to nurse. I will probably go with regular tanks and tees under open button-downs this time (#1 arrived in July--I'm guessing I'll need a bit more coverage this time around since it'll be chilly January).

I hated finding nursing shirts--they all were either sized HUGE or way too small and clingy in all the wrong places. That's one big reason I just gave up and wore regular shirts last time. Plus once I got the hang of discreetly popping out the boob I couldn't be bothered with all the panels/holes/buttons/clips/etc.
#4 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 07:30 PM

So, any recommendations on the best nursing bras? I think its about time to get some, but I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the options. :

I started out as a small B and have moved to a small D (so far)... Should I just get a range of sizes and hope for the best?
#5 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah8ball View Post
So, any recommendations on the best nursing bras? I think its about time to get some, but I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the options. :

I started out as a small B and have moved to a small D (so far)... Should I just get a range of sizes and hope for the best?
If you want something that will accomodate a range of sizes go with either the bravado or the medela microfiber sports bra style. Personally I think it's good to have at least one of those around for the first few weeks when your milk comes in. By the time your baby is 4+ months old you should be holding steady at a given size and then can buy something in a cup size, if they make your size. I've always had a terrible problem finding the right size.

For the price I think the ones Target carries are pretty nice.
#6 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 08:40 PM

You know, with my first pregnancy I bought nursing bras before the baby was born...and it was a mistake because my breasts really grew more after the milk came in.
This time I am sticking with a stretchy nursing bra like this:

http://www.motherhoodnursing.com/Pro...tegory_Id=2008

or

http://www.bluecanoe.com/e-store/pro...=3111818359960 (it comes in Plus cup too)
#7 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 09:47 PM

Well, I started out small (A or B cup) and was only a C when nursing, and I found the basic bravado bras were great because they stretched to fit while everything was adjusting itself, and they also accomodated the sort of regular shifting of full / empty breasts. I bought new ones once things settled down.

I did use nursing shirts, because ds wanted to nurse almost constantly (like, we couldn't get through a 40 min trip to the grocery store without having to stop in the middle to nurse, otherwise there would be a screaming fit and he screamed like the world was coming to an end) and I have a long torso and high breasts and like low rise pants, so the whole discreetly whipping out the boob from under a loose t-shirt didn't work for me because they didn't hang low enough for that and I would end up with about a foot of exposed skin.

I liked the Glamour mom tanks because I could wear them as camisoles under things in winter and by themselves in summer, and also I got a "boob" shirt (you can get them at www.milkface.com), which I wouldn't really wear by itself, because it was clingy and it took me a long time to loose my baby weight, but it was super easy accesss, especially when nursing in a sling. I tried some other nursing shirts, but I have a long torso, and most of them hiked up. Also, I found that anything where I had to pull a layer up to get to a slit, etc, was way too complicated,a nd the fabric would stick together and you would end up pulling up both layers, or spend 5 min sorting yourself out (because of course you then have to undo your bra while your hand is fishing between two layers of fabric) before you could actually get the baby to the boob. Which didn't end up being all that discreet.

The other thing I did in the winter to keep warm, was I bought a lycra long underwear shirt and cut the chest out of it, so it had a full back and the part left that covered my tummy. I wore it under regular cotton t-shirts that weren't too tight, and it was pretty warm and easy to use.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)
#8 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 10:44 PM

I bought a bravado bra and a medela bra but ended up taking them both back. I especially hated the bravado because of the thick band of elastic around the ribcage. I even tried on a size that was way too big and the tight elastic still bothered me. I'm going to order a few of the all cotton bras from blue canoe, like the pp suggested. They seem like they'll be much more comfortable.

For around the house, I'll probably just wear a comfy tank and a zip up sweatshirt, to stay cozy when it's cold out.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#9 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 12:11 AM

I *really* need new nursing bras. The ones I'm wearing now are all stretched out and the straps keep slipping off my shoulders. But I'm not sure if I should just wait 2 more months and see how much bigger I will grow. I was fitted for the ones I'm wearing now when DS was 5 weeks old so assuming I'll be the same size, I feel confident in buying the same ones again, but you never know...

I didn't use nursing shirts the first time and don't plan on it this time, with the exception of the glamormom tanks. Since it'll be winter, I like the idea of having more coverage on my tummy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannah8ball View Post
So, any recommendations on the best nursing
bras? I think its about time to get some, but I'm feeling somewhat overwhelmed with the options. :

The LCs I've talked to recommend waiting until after your baby is born and your supply is well established to buy nursing bras - the good (read: $$$ ) ones anyway. What I did with DS was buy a couple of cheapy ones at Target/Walmart/etc in a slightly larger size than I was at the time and used those until a month or so after he was born, when I went and had a fitting.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#10 of 11 Old 11-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Banned

RIght now I'm in a DDD but I think I really need a G or H. I'm waiting until the baby's here to buy nursing bras because they're so expen$ive in the big sizes. I keep hoping I'll shrink back to a D or at least a DD after this one.
#11 of 11 Old 11-22-2006, 01:00 AM

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Glamourmom tanks!!! I'm a plus size mama & was really self-conscious about my belly/back hanging out while NIP (more so than my breasts). Also, we live in the Northeast where it's cold 1/2 the year so the extra coverage is appreciated that way as well. I'm a solid C cup and found the support in them to be fine too.

My MIL just got me 2 more for my birthday. Now I have a black, nude & white. Plus the 2 regular nursing bras I have left over from last time so I'm all set for now.

Blessings,
Holly

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page