breech? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have a baby getting comfortable in a breech position? I'm 32 weeks and vbac'ing.... and my baby is head up virtually all the time now. I'm afraid s/he is getting a little too comfortable. I have an apt on Monday with the OB who did my previous c-birth so that she can "clear" me to VBAC with the midwives. (Yeah, I'm not really sure what that means. Sounds awfully CYA to me.) I am starting to get nervous about the babies position. Anyone in the same boat or BTDT and has tips? I've checked out spinningbabies.com, I have a name of a local chiro who does the "webster technique,"....

Since most babies are head down by 32 weeks, when should I worry?
#2 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Hi there.
I am not in your boat currently (my baby was head up at week 28 and is now down) but I can tell you what my midwife said with regards to your last question:

"Since most babies are head down by 32 weeks, when should I worry?"

I was told that she likes to see babies head down by the 34th week because although many babies still turn after then, it is easier for them to turn (in terms of space) by then.
#3 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 06:11 PM

My baby is often still breech or transverse... He has been moving alot. My midwife said if I was still breech at my next appointment-- 32 wk. 5 days-- that she would start having me do exercises, although she said not to worry yet. I'm not sure when she will begin to "worry" although babies can and do turn right up until the end. According to what I am reading, only like 15% of babies are still breech at 32 weeeks and all but 3% of total babies turn by the time labor begins. I just found a very mainstream site that says breech babies are not a worry until 37 weeks, when they will consider cephalic version. Personally, I have a second u/s for low-lying placenta the first week in December. If baby is breech because of the placenta, it doesn't matter, I'll have to have a c-section. If baby is breech and placenta is out of the way, I'll seek out a chiropracter.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#4 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 07:24 PM

I am in EXACTLY the same position - 32 weeks, trying for a VBAC, breech baby. #1 was breech too and I had a version done at 37 weeks. My OB isn't worried at this point. (She is my third doctor in pursuit of a VBAC). She will do a version if needed, has delivered lots of breech babies (not sure if she does still, though), and just figures things will sort themselves out. I am doing the rocking and such - but, honestly, I did the other stuff to turn the baby for a month last time and it didn't help. Maybe it is just the way I am designed = breech baby.
#5 of 10 Old 11-21-2006, 07:25 PM

Don't wait till the end see a good chiropractor, go NOW and make sure your pelvis is balanced and the baby is getting a good opporunity to turn. Our chiropractor says she has NEVER had a client who did chiropractic care throughout their pregnancy result with a breech and that's what she heard when she was doing her specialty training for infants and mothers as well from the older chiropractor instructors. My girlfriend procrastinated till the end and her baby flipped after 1 treatment. the chiropractor told her that her pelvis was so tilted (likely from a car accident years ago) that there was no way for the baby's head to engage properly. This is a bold statement - but it was very true for my friend who had back problems for years.

Just a thought....... I would do all the things you can along the way NOW and not wait and hope.

Pelvic exercises, sit with your knees below you hips at all times, chiropractic care, envision and "talk" with the baby about getting ready. I think your going to get the "prep for a c/s talk" in the typical CYA way of the OB on tues. So they can chart that it was talked about. there is still lots of time.

Turn baby turn!!
#6 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 01:36 PM

My baby is breech. My first breech. She was head down at 29 weeks but then at 31w3d she was breech. I am pretty sure she still is. She goes back and forth between breech and transverse... I very rarely feel any kicking at the top of my uterus.
#7 of 10 Old 11-22-2006, 03:02 PM

I sure hope your babies turn. I started seeing a chiro at 28 weeks, once a week. At 32 weeks I saw the chiro Monday and the massage therapist Tuesday... and he turned.
#8 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 10:16 PM

Birthing breech should not be an issue.

Quote:
Five years to the term breech trial: The rise and fall of a randomized controlled trial.
American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology. 194(1):20-25, January 2006.
Glezerman, Marek MD

Abstract:
Objective: On the basis of the end points of neonatal morbidity and death, the authors of the term breech trial concluded unequivocally that cesarean delivery was safer for breech babies.

Study design: Analysis of the original and new data gives rise to serious concerns as far as study design, methods, and conclusions are concerned. In a substantial number of cases, there was a lack of adherence to the inclusion criteria. There was a large interinstitutional variation of standard of care; inadequate methods of antepartum and intrapartum fetal assessment were used, and a large proportion of women were recruited during active labor. In many instances of planned vaginal delivery, there was no attendance of a clinician with adequate expertise.

Results: Most cases of neonatal death and morbidity in the term breech trial cannot be attributed to the mode of delivery. Moreover, analysis of outcome after 2 years has shown no difference between vaginal and abdominal deliveries of breech babies.

Conclusion: The original term breech trial recommendations should be withdrawn.

(C) Mosby-Year Book Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved.
They, who ever they is, say that breech presentation occurs 1 in 3 babies, maybe a little less.

Interestingly:
In 1999, the c/s rate was 22%
In 2004, the c/s rate was 29.1%
Here is an older article but good birth data, even vbac data
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...sections_x.htm
In 2005, 30.2% (prelim #) and increase of nearly 40% in 1 YEAR!!!

I find it interesting that the c/s rate now matches the estimated rate of breech presentations. So many women are having c/s for breech presentation when years ago they were birthing them.
#9 of 10 Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 PM

My MW has delivered breech/breech twins! I was so excited to hear that. Of course she prefers they be vertex breech -but what a great experience to have!

I totally agree with the previous poster. Woman are being scared into c/s for breech when really it is US that needs to demand that the people we HIRE to attend our births have these skills! I will never hire another person wo does not have breech skills. It's permentantly on my lsit of skills questions.
#10 of 10 Old 11-29-2006, 03:36 PM

Baby is now head's down. This is the second time he has flipped right-side-down. Hopefully he stays.

I thought the rate of breech presentation at birth was 3%????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page