Belly casting - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2006, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah I'm doing my belly casting tonight. I picked up all the supplies from Michael's on the weekend but DH didn't have time to do it as he was painting and installing cupboards, but he just called me from work to tell me he would cut the strips and have it ready for when i get home. I'm super excited, as DS casting is so beautiful and i got the similar stuff for this one so they will compliment each other. I'll have to get DH to take pics so i can post them later. Is anyone else doing one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 07:08 PM

I want to do one, but I'll probably wait until a bit closer to time (to get the best gauge of the giant belly ) Maybe that will be my 37 weeks celebration
Old 11-21-2006, 10:19 PM

i'm going to do one, but not until mid-December, when the belly is even bigger.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 11-22-2006, 03:01 AM

We'll do another one this time around, but probably closer to my EDD. Last pregnancy we did one at about 37 weeks and another a few days before delivery. Be warned--if your husbands are anything like mine they will love to show off your casts to any and all guests. Our friends and neighbors (and my in-laws) now have intimate knowledge of what my naked, plaster-covered nipples look like!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

We got it done, I'll have to download the camera later. We did ours early because last time i was so excited to do it I couldn't wait and i wanted to be able to compare the two bellies so we did this one early. My Dh told everyone about plaster nipples last time too, he likes to make sure they look perfect in the casting and it takes forever, meanwhile i'm freezing in cold plaster.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:47 AM

So, what all supplies have you ladies used? How long does it take and what tricks can you share to get a smooth finish??

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Old 11-22-2006, 01:14 PM

I bought a kit off the internet the first time and it cost me over $30 with s/h and didn't have quite enough plaster to do the job right. When we decided to do another one I ran down to Ben Franklin and just bought rolls of plaster-of-paris gauze (the stuff they used to make casts out of) for about $1.60 a roll. I honestly don't remember how many rolls it took, maybe 5? We did from just below the neck to under the belly. It takes far less if you are just doing the belly.

The kit came with the plaster rolls, Un-Petroleum Jelly, a drop cloth and directions. So really, it wasn't worth the extra $$$ since you can print out far better directions (with photos) for free off the internet. Make sure you get enough Vaseline or Un-Petroleum Jelly to fully cover your skin. I would also suggest removing any hair that is located anywhere near where you will be laying down the plaster strips. I left a DNA sample behind in my cast, and it wasn't much fun!!! That patch of hair really did take blood, sweat and tears along with it : I would also suggest buying more plaster than most sites suggest. The extra is great for reinforcing the cast edges after it dries. Once it is dry you can lightly sand it (though there is something really wrong with watching your husband take sandpaper to your nipples...) and apply a sealer to make a smoother finish.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I bought my roll of plaster paris gauze from Michael's it is 8inch wide and 180 long, it was just enough to finish it for about $16 CDN (I had a 40% coupon though) then to get it smooth i use drywall filler and add a nice layer which gives it strength too, then it gets sanded, primed with gesso, painted and then a layer of gel glaze. We use lots of vaseline to make sure no skin sticks, and this time i learned my lesson and put a layer of plastic wrap across my pubic hair to protect it, i also used plastic wrap to put my breasts in a nice postion as they aren't as perky as before
Old 11-30-2006, 02:02 AM

Have a plan as to what you want to do with it. Ours is still in the closet from 4 years ago. Just never looked right on the wall.

User Tag List