VBAC Check-in Thread - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 45 Old 01-09-2007, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My VBAC did not happen. Turns out that my pelvis was too small and baby got stuck. It took them 5 minutes to unwedge her head from my pelvis. I labored all the way but at the end it wasn't meant to be.

I wish you all, the best birthing experiences....however they turn out.

Trying to build up my house, not tear it down namaste.gif.   Got 3 wonderful kids jumpers.gif  ribboncesarean.gif autismribbon.gif, blessed with a wonderful husband luxlove.gif and have the privilege of staying home full time to enjoy it all! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 AM
Fay

I'm still planning for a VBAC this month, but I'm scared that my cervix won't ripen again. I'm drinking my RRL tea, taking EPO, exercising, doing yoga and relaxation CDs, hoping I can push this baby out soon! I'm praying for all of you VBACers, too.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#33 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Danielle~* View Post
My VBAC did not happen. Turns out that my pelvis was too small and baby got stuck. It took them 5 minutes to unwedge her head from my pelvis. I labored all the way but at the end it wasn't meant to be.

I wish you all, the best birthing experiences....however they turn out.
I'm still shooting for a VBAC. I alternate between having no fears and thinking "what the heck am I thinking?" Mostly these days I have a balanced, "I'm going to give it my best shot and whatever happens, happens."

Danielle, can I ask a question? First things first though.... congratulations on your baby!!! My c-birth ('04) was because my DD got very stuck in my pelvis and it took them a long time (and alot of force) to get her unstuck as well. How do you feel having tried again? That's one of the pieces I play though in my head.... "if it happens again, will I be okay and at peace with my choice..." I'm hoping this makes sense!
#34 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 11:10 AM

Pelvic alignment is key via a good chiropractor, Optimal Fetal Positioning... I was told with #1 I had CPD, he was 9.9lbs with a head of 14 1/2. My dd was hba2c at 9.1lbs and a head of 14 1/2 and a chest much bigger.

People thought I was CRAZY, not only was I doing a vba2c, but I was doing it at home!!!

And I'm going to be doing it at home again. I had to change to my old chiropractor not on our new insurance though. My pelvis was out and I knew it, but the new D.C said I was fine -- After 2 visits I'm finally pain free and feel I'm aligned, now just to keep it that way!!!

I have photos of my pelvis xrays which I used for mental imaging during my first hba2c. It truly helped me focus that my body could do this and I was not "defective".

If you want a vbac, don't give up just b/c this attempt didn't work out. There is always your next pregnancy to be even more prepared.
#35 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 12:12 PM

Im still here and getting anxious for this babys arrival. Last Friday, I was 2 cm dilated, 80% effaced and baby was at a -2. As of this morning, I have had some bloody show and am having irregular contractions. I know that none of this means Im going to have a baby "soon", but I dont think Ill make it 3 more weeks to my EDD.
#36 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Danielle: Many hugs to you. My vbac attempt (preg #2) ended the same way. My DD was so stuck it took them 10 minutes to dislodge her and she needed to be rotated breech to be removed from my pelvis. It was devastating, we could see her hair as I was pushing.. When she finally came out via c/s, her forehead was blue and purple and all lacerated from the pounding it took. It took months of cranial sacral work to ease her neck pains from delivery.
I had seen a chiro most of my third trimester with her.. and in the end it was just rotten luck.. she hadn't tucked her chin..
Take the time to heal, surround yourself with love and support and know that you did not "fail" you had the best birth you could under the circumstances you faced.

This whole pregnancy I have been saying my "tuck your chin baby" mantra to this little one... I know that I'll give 200% but in the end, it is up to my passenger to tuck his chin...
#37 of 45 Old 01-10-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra375 View Post
People thought I was CRAZY, not only was I doing a vba2c, but I was doing it at home!!!

I'm getting this a lot..: Even from people who have no right to say a thing.. currently a 'friend' is giving me the hardest time about our decision to hba2c.. I'm getting everything from 'how can you even consider this given your history' to 'what will you do with your kids.. you know your DS and it won't be good for him to see you in labor' and 'you can just sign yourself out ama to get home sooner after you have your surgery, you know' and I love the one 'make sure you leave enough time to get to the ER' comment..

and she isnt' even my mother!!! (who is appalled we are doing this..btw)

I just don't get why some people need to be so interested and opinionated about my life and decisions.. This has been a very carefully thought out decision.. well researched.. this is not a seat of the pants decision.. I am not doing this to "prove" anything.. or be "anti establishment".. It is so frustrating..: :
#38 of 45 Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 PM

Elias James arrived on Jan 16th, a successfuk hba2c!!

to all !!
#39 of 45 Old 01-22-2007, 01:57 AM

No VBAC for me - but not for lack of trying. I went into labor naturally (so a step-up from being induced with #1) and labored for 30 hours. My labor kept petering out and was all over the place in terms of strong contractions but no dialation/dropping of baby. I eventually had an epidural because I was so exhausted that I was falling asleep between contractions (like asleep for 2 minutes, hard contraction for 90 seconds..... for hours). I labored all day Thursday, went to the hospital at about 2:30am on Friday. OB manually dialated me to 3 CM Friday afternoon after the epidural and water broke on its own. I didn't dialate any futher after that. In the evening (late) I started running a 104 degree temp and baby got a very high heart rate. My cervix wsa swelling shut. My contractions almost completely stopped. Turns out I developed a uterine infection from the internal monitor (placed when they started pitocin trying to progress labor a few hours earlier). So, at that point neither I nor baby was doing well and I had another c/s.

That said - the OBs were very comitted to a VBAC - I felt that they respected my wishes (e.g. no PROM) and worked very hard to make it happen. It just wasn't in the cards. I felt when they finally said that they recommended a C/S that it was medically necessary at that point. Overall the experience was very different from my first labor and a much better experience. My recovery physically has been so much easier that the first c/s and emotionally the experience has been very positive for me.
#40 of 45 Old 01-22-2007, 07:56 PM

I am trying for my first VBAC as soon as things get going. I am really excited and not really nervous, just ready. We are preparing with the Bradley Method and I have a great support team that I am totally feeling good about. We are delivering in a hospital, but it is VERY VBAC friendly (OBs actually encourage VBACs in most situations there ). My daughter was taken emergency c-section due to IUGR at 37 weeks, so it is weird to even be this far along! Anyway, good luck to any ladies still left!

Kens
#41 of 45 Old 01-22-2007, 10:27 PM

Successful HBAC here. Marcus Alexander was born Jan 13th after 2 hours of labour. It was surprising.
DS1 was a c-sec because of breech presentation after trying EVERYTHING!! I was so happy to have a home birth with #2. And I found out that I *could* have delivered DS1 without any problems.....but. Oh well.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Hugs to all the mommies, no matter how the birth went.
#42 of 45 Old 01-22-2007, 11:39 PM

Baby Kai and I had a successful VBAC on the 12th. After 3 days of labour I did have them break my bag of waters and when that didn't even out/speed up my contractions I did get an epidural (which only took on the right side) and a low dose of Pitocin which finally got me dialated. Thankfully, baby held up really well and we had a nice, easy delivery.

Somewhere around hour 68 or so of labour it really looked like we were headed for another section, and I came to peace with that because I knew I had done absolutely everything I was capable of--and far more than I ever though I had in me--to have a VBAC. That moment was probably as healing for me as the actual vaginal birth we ended up with.

Love and well-wishes to all you mommas!!!
#43 of 45 Old 01-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Fay

Wish me luck, my VBAC labor is off to a slow but steady start. I spent the afternoon at the hospital triage, but was allowed to come home for the night or until something exciting happens...I've been having ctx 5 min apart since 5 am Monday morning, no dilation yet.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#44 of 45 Old 01-23-2007, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
Wish me luck, my VBAC labor is off to a slow but steady start. I spent the afternoon at the hospital triage, but was allowed to come home for the night or until something exciting happens...I've been having ctx 5 min apart since 5 am Monday morning, no dilation yet.

How exciting! Hope things either kick into high gear or that you're at least able to get some good rest if not. Good luck!

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#45 of 45 Old 01-23-2007, 01:22 PM

No vbac for me either. And not for lack of trying.

First I did everything under the sun to move a breech baby. After months of trying and external version is what worked. Had 3 days of labor with no sleep. Transferred from hb to hospital, go the epidural, took 14 hours to go from 5cm to 10cm, pushed for 3.5 hours (had to figure that one out, I was a little tired by then) and then found out that my bones would not make room for baby. C-section.

I'm better off emotionally for all the trying. And somehow my recovery has been much easier. When they opened me up doc discovered lots of adhesions from my previous c/s. Because of the adhesions she could not do a traditional incision again, so I have a low horizontal incision in my skin but a vertical insicion on the right side of my uterus. Haven't had more than mild cramping for afterpains and can feel my uterus is almost back to pre-preg size, not quite 2 weeks pp.

I've decided I'm done. Right after my ds#1 was born I had a horrible case of the "I need another baby right now." Not this time. I had previously thought 4 kids would be nice. Nope. All done. I never want to be pregnant again. And I'm not so sure I would want to adopt another one either.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page