What's in your freezer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok ladies, we did this a while back. Let's get some updates as to what you put in the freezer for after the baby's arrival.

Here's what I have:
Chili (1 dinner's worth)
turkey & dressing (2 dinner's worth plus a couple of lunches)
shepard's pie (probably 1 dinner and 1 lunch for DD and I)

I have 2 meals planned this week to make double and put in the freezer.

I'm so proud of me!! I'm not generally this well organized.

(Just don't look in the laundry room as I say that.... )
#2 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 09:23 AM

Im slow...I have 2 meatloaves ready to go. I did buy a turkey the other day to cook up and make things from. Ill probably do a pot pie or 2 from that and can the rest for turkey and noodles, turkey soup, etc.
#3 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You know.. . I saw the thread subject and I wondred - how does she know I still have my first daughter's placenta in there? It must be guilt, lol. And missing the first thread perhaps. As for food, I don't think I'll get further than a couple lasagnas. That placenta takes up some space you know, and I'll have that second one joining it <duck>
#4 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 AM

Ummm... Not making much progress! I have two batches of chili, one soup and a meatloaf. I am beginning to adjust my plans from cooking ahead to a big trip to Costco

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterBaby View Post
You know.. . I saw the thread subject and I wondred - how does she know I still have my first daughter's placenta in there? It must be guilt, lol. And missing the first thread perhaps. As for food, I don't think I'll get further than a couple lasagnas. That placenta takes up some space you know, and I'll have that second one joining it <duck>
Didn't I mention that I had a hidden camera in your freezer?!
#6 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 12:53 PM

I have

creamed chicken and veggies - 1-2 meals worth
"sorta" lasagne (recipe from Whole foods for the whole family) 1-2 meals worth

I've also got a TON of stuffing in the fridge that I know we're not going to eat, so I think I'll freeze it, then commandeer a bunch of leftover turkey from our Christmas turkey.

Over the next two months, I'll pop into the freezer any leftovers I know we're not going to eat... which is a lot of them, we're really bad with leftovers

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#7 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 02:00 PM

What's in my freezer? A bunch of old junk that I need to toss out to make room for all the stuff I should be putting up for after birth...
#8 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 02:06 PM

Only got food that need to be eaten right now, I didn't think about preparing food for after having the baby.
#9 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 02:36 PM

20 frozen pizzas (good ones, they were marked down to .50 per box),
10 frozen lasagnas (not homemade, but good ones, on sale)
bread (I'll be making more as soon as I get by bread maker)

I'll probably make up some PBJ sandwhichs to put in DS and DH's lunches.
I'll make muffins. My recollection is that I didn' thave much time for meals in the first several weeks. I was more in need of food I could grab and shove in my mouth without heating, cooking, or using a plate.
#10 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 02:42 PM

I've only done a batch of meatballs (abt. 4 servings), and Navy Bean soup (3 servings), but Chili is a great idea. I will try to do that this week or next, and maybe a lasagne.
#11 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastomom View Post
What's in my freezer? A bunch of old junk that I need to toss out to make room for all the stuff I should be putting up for after birth...
:

One of my goals this week is to clean out the freezer and start stocking it full of yummy things for after the birth. I know I'll make a couple of lasagnas, soups, maybe chili and some enchiladas. I know home-made, organic dinners will come in handy with a newborn, so I'm going to try to get to it!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#12 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 08:53 PM

We have about 3 years' worth of venison in the freezer now, after hunting season! DH got his big buck, and I'm happy to have healthy, home-butchered and cleaned meat to eat (I'm not a veggie anymore but only eat meat that is...well...unadulterated? I figure this guy grew up and spent a happy life roaming the woods near my in-laws' home, and I know exactly what's in my meat now!) We are making vension stew, venison chile, and vension pasties to freeze for later...if we can keep from eating it all right now!
#13 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 09:00 PM

I have 35 meals and some desserts. I also have some venison... I hope dh can manage to shoot a tasty one b/f hunting season ends.
#14 of 19 Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel0123 View Post
I have 35 meals and some desserts.
:
That must be one huge freezer! You've all inspired me--today I went to the market and picked up ingredients for 2 large spinach ricotta lasgnas, black bean soup, and lentil soup. Yum.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#15 of 19 Old 11-29-2006, 01:50 PM

I am a veggie (ovo lacto) but my fiance is not. He is fine not eating meat usually, but gets sick of lasagna (which is the only thing i can think of to make that would freeze really well). Anyone else a vegetarian and have any good, freezable recipes they want to share with me? I can cook well and certainly follow directions, i just have never really thought about things to freeze! oh - we also eat most types of fish

Thanks

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#16 of 19 Old 11-29-2006, 02:15 PM

Mom makes meat free chili that is really good and Dad can't tell the difference. She uses some soy meat substitute that I can't think of now. But I have made chili without meat or meat subs. I just use a couple of different types of beans. To me, chili is all about the beans anyway. If he objects to being meat-free, get him some high quality hot dogs to throw in the freezer and he can have a chili-dog when you have chili.

What about vegetable soup with V8 as the base?

Or shepherd's pies? (pot pie with veggies, no meat, and mashed taters on top seasoned however y'all like it)
#17 of 19 Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Popsicles.

A Trader Joe's frozen pizza, and a TJ's lasagna.

My prediciton is that we will be living on Trader Joe's easy meals, and what friends prepare for us. Our freezer isn't the best, everything gets freezer burned really easily, and I'm in truth not much for planning ahead, or planning in general...
#18 of 19 Old 11-29-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
That must be one huge freezer! You've all inspired me--today I went to the market and picked up ingredients for 2 large spinach ricotta lasgnas, black bean soup, and lentil soup. Yum.
Yes its a huge 20 cu ft freezer. I went anal making food for about 1 month. What stopped me from making more was the 7 pot pies I made one day gave me cankles. My original goal was 60 meals but I am so sick of making food 30+ is my number!
#19 of 19 Old 11-29-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
I am a veggie (ovo lacto) but my fiance is not. He is fine not eating meat usually, but gets sick of lasagna (which is the only thing i can think of to make that would freeze really well). Anyone else a vegetarian and have any good, freezable recipes they want to share with me? I can cook well and certainly follow directions, i just have never really thought about things to freeze! oh - we also eat most types of fish

Thanks
Which veg cookbooks do you have? I can point you to recipes. I've got probably 30+ vegan cookbooks, so the chances of us having the same ones is pretty good.

In my freezer: Samosas. Dahl. Homemade tomato sauce. Indian spiced quinoa. Stuffing. Gravy. Waffles.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page