What does "dropping" feel like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-06-2006, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a first-time mama, I have no idea what this whole "baby dropping" business feels like...I'm trying to figure out whether it's a one-shot deal where all of a sudden your belly looks totally different and the baby is way down low, or whether it's a more gradual, subtle process...?

For about a week now, I've had some different sensations than before. Mostly, I feel like the baby has been kind of "burrowing" down into my pelvic area, if that makes sense. I still look the same, and I don't have any new pressure in the pelvic area, but I just occasionally feel like she's sort of rooting around down there, which I hadn't felt previously. Is that part of dropping? Or maybe just a function of the fact that she's run out of room in there?

I keep waiting for this momentous occasion where I feel the baby's head against my pelvic bone, but then I thought maybe that will never happen...? I imagine that, like all things related to pregnancy, it's probably different for every woman and every pregnancy, but I'm wondering if there's some sort of common sensation of "dropping"...? Will I know it when it happens?

TIA!
#2 of 17 Old 12-06-2006, 04:48 PM

this is a good question.. I am waiting for a good answer.. even though this is my second babe... my DS was totally a strange pregnancy... he never dropped I barely dialated to 6 cm after 20 hours of labor they had to break my water and I was on pictocin the whole time so I didn't know what a natural contraction felt like until recently... all this and he was 2 weeks late. just didn't want to come out I guess.heheh.. but this time.. I am pretty sure my belly has dropped he is head down finally and along with my several lovely contractions an hour..I get this odd grinding sensation..in my bum area... kinda hurts but more like pressure...they have scheduled my c-section for dec 27th... but I am starting to think perhaps he may be making his debute before Christmas.. heheh
#3 of 17 Old 12-06-2006, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxmama View Post
I get this odd grinding sensation..in my bum area... kinda hurts but more like pressure...
Yes, that's a good way to describe what I've been feeling! Very strange sensation.
#4 of 17 Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 PM

You can breath again!

No actually I really don't know how it feels... I carry my babies so low that they never really drop I don't think! I always get comments even in the 7th month about dropping and I tell people "I don't think so!"

And I am pretty sure you don't always drop with your second or subsequent pregnancies until you are actually in labor. But what do I know!?
#5 of 17 Old 12-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Another one who doesn't remember/know what dropping feels like. I seem to carry really low to begin with. DS never once kicked my ribs, and so far this one hasn't either. Like a couple of PPs I've been feeling the baby press on the bones of my pelvis a lot lately too, which I don't remember DS doing at all.

I do believe it's common for second+ time mamas not to drop until shortly before or during labor.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#6 of 17 Old 12-06-2006, 07:02 PM

With DS I knew he had dropped when i could breath again and lean forward without a foot in my ribs, it also felt like there was a bowling ball on my cervix and he was going to fall out. I have been told that #2 etc. usually drop just before labour starts too. My little girl is so high right now that i can't even sit straight up, it feels like her leg is doing into my lungs.
#7 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 11:26 AM

:

I'm curious too
#8 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 04:07 PM

By drop do you mean head is engaged? If you won't be able to feel your babys butt go from one side of yoru body to the other. My baby has dropped this time (I can breathe but its head is not engaged.)
#9 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...I guess I'm not sure what I mean.

I've been able to breathe (more or less) the whole time, so I can't use that as an indication. And I don't ever know which body parts are where, so it's hard to know if there's been a change in that.

All I know is that I feel a LOT more activity in my pelvic area (like right this minute - she's pushing on my cervix and feels like she's trying to come out!!!). OWWW!

#10 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 06:09 PM

I never knew! I had some people tell me I had dropped, but even looking back on pictures, I don't look different to me! People sure take stock in this dropping thing though... I just had a coworker tell me that I won't be having the baby soon because I am still too high. Never mind that this is my second and, in theory, I won't "drop" until I am in labor.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#11 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemyavery View Post
I just had a coworker tell me that I won't be having the baby soon because I am still too high. Never mind that this is my second and, in theory, I won't "drop" until I am in labor.
How irritating this is! I remember a co-worker telling me that when I was pregnant with my first....and he was born 2 days later.
#12 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 06:28 PM

I just had a friend tell me today that I look like I've dropped. I see her practically every day, so she must have thought I looked low. Personally, I think my stomach muscles have just given out and there's nothing to hold up the weight of two babies anymore.
#13 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 08:21 PM

When my sister dropped #2, she said "You try walking around with a canteloupe riding in your crotch and see how it feels. I want this baby out soon!"

I think I asked her if she still liked being pregnant....

My Ds never dropped - he was breech and this one has not dropped yet as I feel no canteloupe.

Julia
#14 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ'sMom View Post
When my sister dropped #2, she said "You try walking around with a canteloupe riding in your crotch and see how it feels. I want this baby out soon!"

I think I asked her if she still liked being pregnant....

My Ds never dropped - he was breech and this one has not dropped yet as I feel no canteloupe.

Julia
HAHAHA ... one of the midwives at my birthing center told me today that it has sometimes been described like a bowling ball between your legs ... so I guess that it kind of like a canteloupe ... though is it one of those little bowling balls or one of those HUGE ones?
#15 of 17 Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 PM

I guess for me it was kind of like instead of feeling like someone is breaking your ribs from the inside, you suddenly feel like someone is breaking your pelvis.
Ah, the joys of pregnancy! (sorry I'm 36wks w/ twins. . .everything hurts)
#16 of 17 Old 12-08-2006, 06:50 AM

Apparently my baby didnt get the memo that later babies dont drop until labor, because I have that bowling ball feeling all of a sudden. I was hoping that I would get a corresponding relief from heartburn but I guess not. Phooey.

And I thought I was waddling before. oy.
#17 of 17 Old 12-08-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storychick View Post
Apparently my baby didnt get the memo that later babies dont drop until labor, because I have that bowling ball feeling all of a sudden. I was hoping that I would get a corresponding relief from heartburn but I guess not. Phooey.
And I thought I was waddling before. oy.

mine skipped the memo too- she dropped yesterday evening while i was shopping. My mom noticed right away and i was like "yup something is going on" When i got back home later DH said when i got in the door- "man that baby is falling out tonight! Guess it is really obvious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page