Herbs for labor/afterward - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2006, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
I just ordered my birth kit (exciting!) and it will be delivered to me when my midwife comes for the home visit just 10 days from now!
I also ordered a blend of herbs tincture that helps with afterpains.
I also want to order something to help with excess bleeding afterward and maybe one to ease transition.

So, for those of you with experience, what herbs are you going to have on hand/recommend?

Thanks!-Mel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2006, 12:50 AM

My naturopath is making an herbal "Mother's Cordial" for me to take from 36 weeks until the birth. I'm not sure what's in it exactly...I'll have to check back in and let you know after I get it.

I imagine regular pregnancy tea (rr leaf, nettle, dandelion, alfalfa, etc) would be great during labor and pp as well.

Cayenne is really good for excessive bleeding, but I think it is mostly used in very acute situations (where they'd be giving you a shot of pitocin or methergine anyway). Lady's Mantle and Shepherd's Purse are both good for bleeding after the birth, and they are readily available as tinctures. Motherwort is really good for right after the baby is born to avoid hemmorhage (you only need about 10 drops of the tincture). Motherwort is also great for afterpains (5-20 drops of tincture in a glass of water).

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 12-08-2006, 04:08 PM

Just curious what's in your birth kit. Have you got a link? I just got a list of supplies I need to have on hand. Most of it we already had.

The only herb I'm planning on taking is a big jug of strong rrl tea when labor starts. Supposedly it makes labor quicker and easier. And who doesn't want that?
Old 12-08-2006, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shenandoah : )
This is the birth kit I ordered:

http://www.mamarhythms.com/index_files/Page1653.html

Oooh, I'm making a jug of RRL tea too! It can't hurt right? Will you sweeten yours?
Old 12-08-2006, 07:40 PM

Most of that stuff was on my list and we just happened to have it. The only things I don't have yet are a peri bottle (exactly what is that anyway?) and peri cold packs, but I do have 2 hot/cold water bottles, so I figure they'll do just fine. I also heard that if you soak disposable pads in chamomile tea and then freeze them that they are supposed to be very soothing.

I don't like sweet tea, so no, I won't sweeten my rrl tea. Actually, I don't like much sweet at all, especially when I'm pg.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
Most of that stuff was on my list and we just happened to have it. The only things I don't have yet are a peri bottle (exactly what is that anyway?) and peri cold packs, but I do have 2 hot/cold water bottles, so I figure they'll do just fine. I also heard that if you soak disposable pads in chamomile tea and then freeze them that they are supposed to be very soothing.

I don't like sweet tea, so no, I won't sweeten my rrl tea. Actually, I don't like much sweet at all, especially when I'm pg.
A peri bottle is just a bottle that will work to squirt warm water on your perineum after you pee/poop so that cleaning/wiping can be skipped or made easier.
Frankly, I think a hair dye bottle (available at any beauty supply) or a ketchup/mustard style bottle (squeeze kind) can be bought at a variety of stores and would work as well.
I am the opposite of you in that I crave sweet a lot
Old 12-09-2006, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahappymel View Post
A peri bottle is just a bottle that will work to squirt warm water on your perineum after you pee/poop so that cleaning/wiping can be skipped or made easier.
Ah. Thanks. So then a small bike bottle (water bottle) will work just fine. I have loads of those around.

User Tag List