Baby's violent movements - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-08-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My baby has times when she moves everything she can with as much force as she can for as long as she can. It is like she's doing jumping jacks in my uterus. It can sometimes be painful. Everytime it is jarring to me.

I spent my whole day with DH's grandmother at the hospital, as she was released, and then when she was at home until some other relatives could be with her. As soon as I got in my car to go home, my baby started doing her spastic dances where she kept punching my bladder (causing me to shriek a few times), jabbing me, thrusting her knees up and down, and kicking me. These were not love taps. These were more like "I hate it in here. Let me out" movements. The whole episode lasted probably an hour and a half tonight. I tried gentle movements, talking to her, but eventually I had to lie down on my side and just let her wear herself out. This seems to happen 1-2 times per week where she has a marathon in there and no part of me is safe from her wild movemens.

She moves her body a lot anyway, but I can't find much information on babies moving like she moves. The space is supposed to be tight in there and she isn't supposed to have the room to move. But my goodness, the amount of movement and the power or her movement is shocking to me. A friend of mine who just had a baby couldn't relate to this because although her boy kicked a bit, it was nothing like my baby's dances.

I just wonder if my little baby is uncomfortable, if she has nervous energy, if she is having tantrums, or what causes her to get into these wild and crazy fits.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-08-2006, 11:50 PM

Not sure what to say, but I doubt there's any way to find out for sure. I'll bet her heartrate goes up a lot when she's moving wildly. It sounds to me like maybe she's uncomfortable in the position she's in. Or maybe she's just very active. I have the opposite--a very mellow baby that likes to push off my ribs and slowly stretch its limbs. When I get a strong jab or consecutive punches, it startles me.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2006, 01:13 AM

If you told us this was a one time thing I would be concerned as a bunch of stuff I've read says to contact your doc/midwife if you either feel no movement or odd, violent movement from baby. Since this is happening regularly, it sounds more like baby is just stretching out and checking out her environs. I know it may feel like mommy abuse, but it sounds a lot like the wild moods my 2yo gets in to where he jumps about and throws himself around just for the joy of it. Maybe she's just having a party in your belly .
#4 of 8 Old 12-09-2006, 01:58 AM

Sounds like you're describing my little nugget I know that every pregnancy is different (as is every kiddo) but honestly, I don't remember feeling so much movement and seeing so much movement with my dd. This one will sometimes get going so much that it will shake my whole lower body when we're layign down and sometimes shake the bed a bit. Or I'll be laying down and I'll see my tummy just start rollign like jello. It's bizarre. I wonder in my case if it's not because tihs one is facing out and dd was facing back so there wasn't as much room or something, I don't know really.
#5 of 8 Old 12-09-2006, 03:23 AM

I was just about to write the same thing about my little doodlebug...I keep thinking, What is wrong? Are you not happy in there? I hope it's just a bit of nervous energy.
#6 of 8 Old 12-09-2006, 11:44 AM

I have twins in my tummy right now and throughout the whole pregnancy the boy has basically been moving as you describe, violent, continuous activity which lasts for pretty long periods of time. The girl, meanwhile, just makes small wiggles, adjustments, like she's getting comfy.
So I really think it just depends on the babe.
My first dd used to do those painful slow, full body stretches.
#7 of 8 Old 12-09-2006, 11:58 AM

My little guy is constantly moving at a high velocity, too. Not too painful, usually, but definitely different from the slower wiggles and squirms of my first DS. We're hoping for athletic versus ADHD!

So far his favorite pastime seems to be rhythmically thumping something against my bowels at a rapid pace for about five to eight minutes straight, then switching to kicking at the same pace to my upper belly bumpbumpbumpbump for another five to eight, and then repeat until I'm about to be sick!
#8 of 8 Old 12-09-2006, 08:57 PM

My DS was a thrasher- he would give me bruises that even shocked the midwives, and this time (dd) only did that when she flipped from transverse to LOP, she is pretty quiet most of the time she just wiggles her bum up and down and gets the hiccups 2-3 times a day. I think it is just different babies and personality- DS is a crazy climber too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page