Sorry, but it STILL hurts! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-11-2006, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, all you nursing mamas out there- how are you holding up? I'm still in pain sometimes when my dd decides to squirm or marathon nurse or if someone bumps them. UGH. I tell her that I need a break and that hopefully the pain will go away when the baby gets here...

BTW, how can I tell the difference between thrush (which I"ve never had), bad latch, and just hormones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2006, 02:30 AM

Holding up fairly well. It hurts most days, but nothing like in the first few months. DS is usually pretty good about any limits I need to set and doesn't put up a fight if I can only tolerate him nursing for a couple of minutes at a time (save at naptime or his early morning nurse-a-thon).

See here for info on thrush... http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
If it's a latch problem, pain should decrease with persistent relatching. My DS often gets lazy with his latch and I ask him to relatch with a wide mouth, which usually fixes it. Of course because of being pg, there's also a really good chance that it's just hormones... and even if it's one or both of the other issues, you might still be left with nipple pain once they are cleared up.

Hang in there mama, we're almost there!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 AM

It hurts initially, then beyond that is just the most irritating sensation. I have to fight the sensation to squirm, since she nurses to go to sleep for a nap & that kind of defeats the intent. But, she only nurses for naptime and bedtime and both have time limits. I actually watch the clock, otherwise, I'd cut her off after about 30 seconds.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:42 PM

Still hurting here! Things are VERY sensitive. When I'm relaxing my back by leaning forward on a birthing ball, I have to use a boppy pillow so that I don't compress my breasts, because otherwise forward leaning is not comfortable at all.

I've tried re-latching to see if it would help, but it almost always feels the same no matter how DD is latched on. Just trying to push through these last few weeks...

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
Old 12-11-2006, 07:55 PM

Painful and annoying (isn't that SAD? I hate to even write it, but it's true). I LOVED nursing until I got pregnant. :

We're still approx. 3 times a day, and I'm sad to say that I DO cut him off after about 30 seconds! He was sick with a virus over the last week and nursed a lot, and it's amazing how those mothering hormones kicked in to be able to meet his needs while he was sick. I felt very *motherly*. I just keep hoping that I won't have this aversion/annoying feeling once new baby is born and the milk comes in. I keep telling myself that it will get better again, and I believe that.

User Tag List