"Because you have a CONFERENCE!?" or "Why Amanda thinks her doctor is a moron" - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I went for my 34 wk apt. today. The dr. asked if I'd made it to the pre-natal classes, which I had not. There's another set in January, with the last class on the 25th. I'm due the 20th. He said I could go to that set if I wanted, but I probably wouldn't make the last one. I mentally chuckled, but whatever. (My mom has 12 brothers and sisters. Of them, only one had her baby "on time." And she was a sister-in-law who smoked heavily. ALL the others went at least two weeks over due. My grandma, the one with 13 kids, went anywhere from 2-9 wks over due with all her kids. At first the dr. said she must be figuring wrong, but finally admitted that no one figures wrong 13 times. We just take a while to cook our babies!)

Anyway, the doc then proceeded to assure me that I will definately have the baby before the end of January, because HE has a CONFERENCE in Texas at the end of Jan/first of Feb.

So....let me get this straight. You are willing and prepared to induce me w/i a week of my due date because you have a CONFERENCE? :

He said we'd discuss it in greater detail at the next apt. You're damn right we will. I'm not open to even CONSIDERING induction until I'm 2 wks over, and even then, you better have a pretty compelling reason (ie, the baby is in danger) to induce me.

I just want reassurance: I'm not over-reacting to this, am I?

My Ryan wonders why I want to have my next kid at home...
#2 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 06:37 PM

No, you're not overreacting & yes, your Dr. is a moron.

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#3 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmzbm View Post
No, you're not overreacting & yes, your Dr. is a moron.
:

Tell him exactly what you said...that you're not willing to consider induction until 42 weeks. Won't he be back from the conference by then? If not, tell him it's more important that your baby choose his own due date then for that particular doctor to be in attendance at the birth.

Good luck!
#4 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 06:47 PM

That's outrageous. You should tell him thanks for the notice, you'll find another doctor to attend your birth.
#5 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM

Oh I would be so pissed off : That is exactly why I was so adament about having a home birth!! You should kick him in the head!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#6 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 07:26 PM

Ugh! I am so sorry you had to experience that! You definitely should tell him how you feel about induction!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#7 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 07:35 PM

WOW! It is still staggering to think that there is people delivering abbies that still feel like this.

And to think...if your baby happens to be one like you grandmother had, that need extra time to cook, then forcing the baby to come at 38-39 weeks could mean you end up with a premie.

Oh...my mom was induced when she was pregnant with me because the doctor wanted to go hunting :
#8 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 07:39 PM

That doc sucks!
Why aren't you considering homebirth for this baby?
#9 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 07:45 PM

I suppose you piped right up and asked him which day and at what time it would be most convenient for him to have you deliever? Sheesh!!!
Are you thinking of finding a new doctor?
Suzy

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#10 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 08:17 PM

I'm sorry, Amanda - that would really annoy me, too. :

In all seriousness, I would ask him what his calendar looks like and when would be a good time for you to deliver - just to make the point about how ridiculous his comment was.
#11 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM

Have you met whoever his backup is?

One of the things I like about going to a group practice is that I'm always going to have a doctor I know at my birth. It may not be my most favorite of the doctors in the practice, but at least it's someone I've met a few times before and had a chance to discuss my childbirth preferences with!

Maybe he was joking?

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#12 of 18 Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM

I agree with all the PPs, you're not overreacting at all. An induction for the doctor's convenience is beyond silly. Stick to your guns mama!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#13 of 18 Old 12-12-2006, 12:22 AM

Wow! Good for you for sticking to your guns mama! I am sadly not shocked, it seems like every one I know that sees an OB has been induced for some silly reason. Not one has been a valid reason, IMHO. And Dr's convienience, certainly not!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 18 Old 12-12-2006, 12:42 AM

Why he couldn't recommend you to another dr. if the baby haven't arrive before his departure.
#15 of 18 Old 12-12-2006, 10:12 AM

Yea for you not going along with the silly doctor. We need more mamas like you who refuse to schedule birth for the doctor's convenience. My SIL scheduled an induction with her second because of a very similar situation with her doctor. Her baby then had jaundice for the next two weeks. I blame it on yanking my niece out too soon.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#16 of 18 Old 12-13-2006, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The assumption that you'd be open to afixing a due date to your baby via induction for the convenience of your doctor's schedule is just... well, it leaves me speechless. Of all the arrogant and self-important assumptions... I'm happy you'll be setting him straight. Thank him for giving you enough notice to find a new care provider, or become familiar with his back-up
#17 of 18 Old 12-13-2006, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
That doc sucks!
Why aren't you considering homebirth for this baby?
*Sigh* I'd LOVE to do a homebirth. (Among other things, the idea of a half-dozen people I've never met looking at my crotch makes me a little uneasy. But that's just me.) I told Ryan that for my next kid I was having it at home, and he reacted as if I'd said I wanted to bring our children up Nazis. Something along the lines of "that's something people do in Arkansas." I asked him why he didn't want me to (considering that a hospital birth is relatively new thing), and he said, "Well, in case something was wrong with the baby." (And he said it in such a way as to imply that I was selfish to even be considering a home birth.) Needless to say, I plan on posting to ask for some sites to send him to, to prove that homebirth is safe and not hillbilly. Because I do NOT want to mess with a hospital birth again.

I guess I should be more positive. Maybe things will go just fine. Sadly, I know that Ryan is too much of a "go with the flow" sort of guy; so if the doc tells him that I "need" drugs or "need" an episiotomy or "need" a c-sec, it's not going to take much to convince him, regardless of what we've discussed before hand. Thankfully, though, he agrees that inducing me for the doc's convienience is ridiculous.

Back to the subject at hand. I'm pretty sure the doctor was not kidding. He seemed quite serious, which seemed all the more ridiculous to me. The only possible reason I can see for "needing" this doc at the birth (and it's not a valid one!), is that he has a med student who's been following this pregnancy, and I don't know if she'd get to be at the birth if a different doc. was attending. BUT, that is far from a valid reason to induce me.

*Sigh* Maybe I'll just "accidentally" stay at home so long before going to the hospital that the baby will just "accidentally" come out on its own
#18 of 18 Old 12-13-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFashionedGirl View Post
Something along the lines of "that's something people do in Arkansas."
HA! Well, this person in Arkansas certainly hopes too.

I'm surprised that he thinks it's something that "hillbillies" do, rather than what "hippies" do, because that's the reaction that I seem to hear.

Just stick to your beliefs and don't go along with an induction. Remember that you don't have to please anyone but yourself (well, and your DP - but you don't have to please your OB, medical student, parents, friends, etc.). Please your baby by letting it choose it's due date - when it's finished cooking! Re: Homebirth - Just do your research for next time and share it in an informed and heartfelt way with your DP. Homebirth is actually very safe, and if you're able to provide him with that information, he'll come around.

Best wishes for a great birth experience!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page