Anyone traveling for holidays? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am 34 weeks 2 days today. I will be 36 weeks on Christmas. We decided to go ahead and drive to Ohio, about 5 hours away, to my parents' house for Christmas. DH agreed to do all the driving and we thought it would be more relaxing for us because once we get to their house, we have nothing to take care of; no laundry to keep up with, my parents will gladly watch dd (who is 3) and we can just lay low. But now, my mother is driving me crazy asking me if it is "safe" for me to travel, and have I asked my midwife if it's ok??? She wasn't thinking of this when we made our plans two months ago, but now, it's a big deal. Nothing I tell her satisfies her. I say "you have hospitals in Ohio, right?" "But what about on the road?" I said, "If I have signs of labor before leaving, we won't get in the car. If I go into labor on the road, we could probably drive to California before the baby would be born." (I had a really long first labor.) I'm just not worried. I went to 40 weeks before, I have had no signs of preterm labor, midwives are not concerned, and should something happen, I'll go to the hospital in Ohio and scream for them to keep their IV out of me and monitor off me.

She's just driving me crazy! Last time we had the talk, I said "Oh, the midwife said to stop telling my mother about my prenatal appointments." My mom said "Why??" I said "She didn't really say that Mom, that's my way of telling me that you're being too nosy! I'm going to stop telling you, if it prompts this grilling." How ironic that she doesn't understand that her incessant worry and questioning actually keeps her from getting the information she so craves.
#2 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're definantly leaving for Christmas. I'm due on the 20th, but I'm not worried. We'll also be driving for 5 hours. Over to Utah. They way I see it, if I'm going to go into labor over there, then so be it. The baby will be born in Utah.
#3 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 05:45 PM

I'll be 38 weeks on Christmas, and I'm definitely NOT planning to travel this year.

Yes, my parents and my husband's parents both live in places with perfectly good hospitals (my father's actually a doctor on the staff at a hospital), but I prefer to have my baby with my own doctor.

I don't really expect to go into labor until I'm a few days past my due date, but I'd rather just stay home this year.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#4 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 06:44 PM

Yes, we're driving 3 hours from home. This is no big deal for me, because I will continue going to midwife appts. 2.5 hours away all the way up until the baby is born.

I SAY it's no big deal, but ask me in about 3 weeks and I bet I'll be singing a different tune. : At least she's coming here to my house for my 37 week appt.
#5 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I think if I was 38 weeks at Christmas it might be a different story. But since I'll be 36 weeks and I doubt my labor will come early, I just wish mom would lay off. I don't mind a couple "are you sure?"s, but she just doesn't know when to quit!
#6 of 11 Old 12-12-2006, 08:37 PM

We are not traveling at Christmas. Not so much because I'll be 37 weeks but because all of our family is local. My BIL did try to get us to go about 2 horus away but we did say no. My IL's are only 5 minutes away and encouraged them to stay put and they did! So, we are all staying here!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#7 of 11 Old 12-13-2006, 01:23 AM

No travel here. We usually visit my parents in Hawaii for Christmas and I stay for about a month and a half and hubby makes it for 3 weeks or so, but I don't think 11 hours on planes and 15 hours or so door-to-door would be the best thing to do right now.

Of course we could always spend Christmas with his mom in Raleigh, but I would like to maintain some sort of sanity over the holidays and not be up on assault charges when my baby is born. So stay home it is!
#8 of 11 Old 12-13-2006, 04:11 AM

I'll be just about 38 weeks on Christmas, so no real traveling here. We'll be driving about 30 minutes to my parents' house. I'm so very set on a homebirth in my little nest here that I'd be bummed if I went into labor and couldn't get home soon.

For those of you that want to travel, I say go for it!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#9 of 11 Old 12-13-2006, 12:19 PM

Nope ... I will be right around the 39 week mark around Christmas so definitely no travelling for us. Besides, my family lives in Canada so that is not a trip that I am making ... even though I have had friends email me and say "let me know when you are up here for Christmas, we have to get together!" ... which is so mind-boggling to me because these same people know that I am due on Jan 3! But anyways, my family is coming down here and my ILs are coming from about five hours away too so we are looking forward to a nice family Christmas at our house! I am really excited!
#10 of 11 Old 12-13-2006, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Don't think I'd be flying to Hawaii myself either!!

Today I have the stomach flu that my daughter had over the weekend and am just feeling so crappy. I can't wait for it to actually be Christmas and have all the preparation stuff done and just sit and take a breather.
#11 of 11 Old 12-13-2006, 03:27 PM

We are having my family come here for the holidays.
I figure they would all insist on coming here once the babies are born anyway so whatever. I figure Christmas would be more fun for my dd if we had it here, less disruptive I guess. But we have a lot of room, I would probably feel differently if we didn't.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page