Cord blood banking? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-12-2006, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, what do you guys think of this? With my first, I had no problem turning it down...but since this will be our last....I am wondering what to do...
#2 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 12:40 AM

We just had an in-service at our state midwifery meeting from a donation / banking company. One of the things that came up about banking was the fact that many times doctors do not want to use blood from a baby to treat later in life should there be an issue...because the stem cells could possibly harbor some of the disease itself... Same thing with use between siblings...they might reject it because of the possible genetic link with the disease. If you think about the forms you have to fill out to be a bone marrow donor or cord blood donor many people are rejected because of disease within the family. That is not to say that every banking would be rejected by a doctor for another family member but I wonder how often that happens?

Anyway, my husband and I are into donation and our team will try to get enough blood after the cord stops pulsing to donate from our homebirth.

Good luck with your decision. I wonder if you could contact some docs that work with cord blood stem cells to ask their opinion? And share it with us if you find out anything new?
#3 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 04:17 AM

We're not going to do it...I figure the baby needs as much clotting factor and iron from its blood as possible. We'll also wait until the cord has stopped pulsing to clamp.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#4 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 10:12 AM

I would definitely donate cord blood to a public bank if my hospital participated in such a program, but unfortunately they don't.

I think private cord blood banking is a waste of money, since the chance that anyone in my family would ever need the cells is so small. I really dislike the marketing methods of the private cord blood banks.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#5 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 10:40 AM

We will be banking the baby's cord blood. I talked to the mw about letting the cord pulse first and then collecting what she can.

It's one of those "you never know" situations. I'd rather have spent the time and money just in case it might save my child's life (or another family member) than wonder what if should there be a need.
#6 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 01:33 PM

We are donating to a public bank, this is a service that was just started at the hospital where I am going to delivery. So I am excited to be able to do this for someone...and if one day we would need this service, I hope we would be able to take advantage of someone elses donation too..
#7 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM

We just sat down and did some online research about this last night. The most helpful article I found was on WebMD. We decided we would do the public banking if we could, but it turns out that our hospital doesn't do that.

We were on the fence about it - it certainly can't hurt, other than the cost. But in the end we just decided there wasn't enough of a possibility of it helping in the future to justify the cost now.

Definitely do some research, though, because there are good arguments on both sides. If you have any family history of one of the diseases that can be helped through it, I would definitely say to do it, but that's just me.

Good luck!
#8 of 8 Old 12-13-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah View Post
We will be banking the baby's cord blood. I talked to the mw about letting the cord pulse first and then collecting what she can.
You might want to look into this further -- I read that many of the units stored in private banks are of insufficient quantity to actually be useful later, and it would seem like letting the cord pulse first would make that even more likely to happen.

Here's some more information about cord blood banking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_blood_bank

Which includes a link to the Parents magazine article about the insufficient number of stem cells in many of the units collected.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page