Naps and nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-13-2006, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think dd may have outgrown naps. I have mixed feelings about it. I will admit that I enjoy the quiet time when she's asleep, but the nursing down for a nap was killing me. So, in dropping the naps, we drop the nursing session & (she doesn't ask to & I don't offer ), which puts us down to nursing once per day for only a few minutes at bedtime.

She's almost 4 and nursing has been incredibly uncomfortable the entire pregnancy. She even commented the other night that she's forgetting how to suck the right way. I hope I don't get flamed for saying I'm really ready for her to wean. I can't honestly say I was ever excited about tandem nursing, but I wasn't willing to actively wean her. I never imagined she'd wean herself during my pregnancy, but she seems to be doing just that- at least mostly anyway.

Wow. How life is changing for us. I'll admit I'm feeling a little overwhelmed.
#2 of 6 Old 12-13-2006, 06:19 PM

No flaming here b/c I can relate to everything you said. It hurts like heck to nurse but its the only way I get him to nap. I think I need the nap more than he does.
We too are only nursing minutes a day. I hope my nipples return to no hurting status after new baby comes.
Remember we are in the home stretch.... (hugs)
#3 of 6 Old 12-13-2006, 06:34 PM

Noah was well on his way to weaning at the time I became pregnant, but I have to say I did encourage it. I couldn't take it. And imo, I wanted to end our nursing relationship on a positive, not with resenting his nursing and the pain, etc...

and the thought of tandeming scared me! But I do admire and applaud the ladies that do it!

I find myself excited to nurse this little one....

Maybe instead of 'nap' time, she could have a 30/45 minute (or whatever) 'quiet' time?

Hth!

Sarah
#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2006, 08:43 PM

No flaming here either.... My DD still asks to nurse on occaision I am amazed with you ladies who made it this far! I was in so much pain, no milk, we stopped at about 20 weeks.

And naps, well, they went when she stopped nursing! We have quiet time now. She plays quietly in bed, looking at books or playing with her baby dolls, for about half an hour. Then, I often let her watch a TV show, simply because I am exhausted. So we get an hour of down time in the afternoon. It was hard to adjust to at first, but now she sleeps from 7:30 or 8pm to 8:30 am most days! Pretty much straight through! I will now take the 12 to 13 hours of sleep over the naps.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 PM

No flames from me either! Its fabulous that you were able to give your child so much comfort and nutrition for as long as you did!

My dd seems somedays to give up naps, and she won't be 3 until next week! Early on in this pg we stopped nursing down for naps and now she knows she doesn't get her "eat eats" until after nap, but on days that she doesn't nap she doesn't nurse at all (except for her one time in the early morning) and some days I am SO grateful for the break. We will definitely be intiating some kind of quiet time if she really does stop napping altogether, and like a pp said, nightime sleep for her is MUCH longer without naps, something that I could definitely get used to!

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#6 of 6 Old 12-14-2006, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortraitPixie View Post
Maybe instead of 'nap' time, she could have a 30/45 minute (or whatever) 'quiet' time?

Hth!

Sarah
My child is like the carbon copy of her father- personality wise, anyway. I've joked with him for years that he is the noisest quiet person I know. Trying to be quiet- or still- for him is like pure torture. He simply can't do it, try as he might. DD is exactly the same. I can see it in her- she truly has a VERY limited ability to be quiet or still. "I just have so many questions, mama!" she'll say So, I'll settle for "entertain yourself" time, which she's getting much better at doing. Sometimes I'll put soothing music on if i'm not needing to be on the phone (I work from home 8 hrs a week) and can tune out some of the constant chatter.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page