Support belt... why did I not do this before? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been having sacro-iliac pain on and off for weeks, but the last few days I've had SPD pain also... and I just couldnt take it anymore. I went in to the local maternity boutique and asked about belts. She asked where my pain was, I told her, she put one on me. I immediately said "how much is it, because I am not taking it off."

It feels so much better. I definitely still feel some back discomfort (it stretches it out over more area, but its very mild) but the pubic pain is gone with it and I dont feel like my pelvis is about to collapse if I walk or try to, I don't know, stand up or something really strenuous.

I did take it off for awhile this afternoon while just sitting here, thinking that maybe its not so good to wear it ALL the time, but getting up to go to the bathroom without it made me realize how much it helps all over again. Can you wear it too much? I do want to sleep in it, because rolling over in bed is excrutiating with the SPD...

I am kicking myself now that I didnt get it 2 months ago when the back pain started really getting bad on and off! I can highly recommend it.
#2 of 7 Old 12-13-2006, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by storychick View Post
I do want to sleep in it, because rolling over in bed is excrutiating with the SPD...
Me too, nights are the worst for me.. But my chiropractor (who reccommended it to me,) advised against it at night, suggesting it could reduce bloodflow or circulation. I'm not sure how accurate that is, however. But man, rolling over kills me, and of course I have to do it like 10 times in the course of the night because everything gets too uncomfortable being in one place too long, LOL.
#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2006, 01:13 AM

I just saw a chiro the other day, and she recommended buying one and wearing it at night as well...especially if you sling a leg up over a body pillow.
#4 of 7 Old 12-14-2006, 01:43 AM

I also have SPD! It is soooo painful. I didn't know you all were sufferers as well...

PLEASE tell me what kind of belt this is and where to get one....we don't really have a nice maternity boutique here...online maybe? Any suggestions for a specific one? Are there different sizes (aka do they have an XL??...lol)?
#5 of 7 Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There are all kinds of maternity belts - I'm using this one and am satisfied with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&s=hpc

And you know, my leg keeps wanting to sneak up over the body pillow, but if I do that I pay dearly later for it, lol. I've been trying to think up creative ways to keep my legs *together* with a pillow between them while sleeping on my side.
#6 of 7 Old 12-15-2006, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mine is not too bad (yet?) thank goodness... I cant imagine if it was worse. How do you function?

My belt is called the Leading Lady. Its just a big strip of stretchy rubbery stuff with velcro. Our maternity boutique is in the local hospital, they are really their breastfeeding boutique with books and nursing bras, but I bet you could find one at any medical supply type place... or maybe a pharmacy could get one for you? I've seen them at consignment shops too. It makes a big difference. And yes, they come in different sizes.

Hope you find one and it works for you!
#7 of 7 Old 12-15-2006, 11:01 AM

I think I could use one of thse, but in looking at the picture I can't help but think it will just cut in and hurt like the low rise panel pants do. Reassure me that it doesn't?

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page