working - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone heard that mama's that work right up til their due date tend to go post term more than those that take a week or so off prior to?? Today my mw and her assistant told me that this was their experience, which threw me a bit. Not that I wouldnt love to take a week or so off, I guess I just was trying to save all the time I have for after the baby was born, expecially since there is not a thing wrong with me, so far. I have a desk job, that generally is 9-5 (although it is right in boston, and sometimes if my finace cant drive me i do have to suffer through public transportation). Thoughts?

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2006, 08:01 PM

That sounds weird to me. It has not been my experience, amongst the women I know. Did they have a reason why they thought this occurred, or other reasons why they thought it might be good for you to slow down? And what's wrong with going past your due date anyway? I really think this is a personal preference issue and you should go with what you think is best, especially since your time with baby will be limited if you leave work early.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:02 PM

I haven't heard about the link between working and going beyond your due date. I only know my own personal situation, which is that I had planned to work until a week before my due date, and then changed my mind and am on leave after tomorrow (I am 36 weeks + 1 day today). For me, I feel that my body needs more sleep and flexibility to do whatever I need to do to feel good than my job will allow (I also have a desk job that is basically 9-5). Since I told my employer that I would be leaving earlier, my schedule has been a lot looser, and I've noticed that some of the discomforts I had have subsided (BH ctx., heartburn, etc.). I'm also not really comfortable driving any more, and I worry about falling when walking up and down stairs, etc. Plus, in order to ward off extreme swelling and stomach pain, I have to be up and moving around every 15 minutes or so, which is sort of tough at work.

I think everyone has to listen to her own body.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM

I have heard of this before, and my assumption about why this happens is because the pregnant woman is still focused on the responsibilities of the job and subconciously is not allowing her body go into labor because she's holding onto whatever she's responsible for at work up to the very last minute.

So it's about allowing yourself to get prepared mentally and physically for labor by being home and in nesting mode, rather than continuing to have work related stress and responsibilities at the end of pregnancy.

I guess I'm trying to say that it's a mental thing. You hear about women who are having fears, relationship issues, crisis, etc. stalling in labor or not going into labor until way after their due date, and I think work stress could cause the same thing.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM

with my ds I worked till the very end. ds was born 1 day short of due date. I finished my work on Friday evening and 2 hours later I was in early labor. This time I finished my work a week earlier (I work as contractor/consultant, so benefits are not an issue). And I have nothing to do to occupy myself - the time is soooo slow. I wish I had something to do. IMO - if you can work till the very end - it will be better for your sanity. Since you are not used to stay at home, it will be tought. Save the days for after the baby if your health allows it.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Neither gave any specific reason for me personally not to keep working - but I think they just know me and realize that the city so different from what I am used to and prefer (I grew up in Maine and moved here about a yr ago)....so maybe that had something to do with it too.

swtpesq-are you saying that some of your discomfort may be mental/stress? I can certainly see that too. I dont really drive that much although the thought of having to take the train in rush hour gives me much dread (on the days my fiance just cant bring me and pick me up). I was saying to then kind of the same thing about having to sit in the same upright position all day long...even if I try to get up every hour and walk around a little...sometime you just need to lay down for a few mins - which i impossible at work as we dont even have an employee lounge.

I guess I did see their point about taking some time, it just surprised me that they felt it might make me go overdue - which isnt a huge big deal if that is the way it is supposed to happen for me.....i guess i just dont want to do anything EXTRA to prolong it!!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 12-14-2006, 09:20 PM

I guess I can see it from the approach that if you are focused on finishing something, etc. your body might naturally postpone labor. On a smaller level, my MIL says she was determined to finish a baby quilt for her first DS. She went into labor HOURS after finishing the quilt, two weeks over due. It's the same thing that causes me to get sick on the weekend I can make it through till Friday but by the evening, I feel yucky!

I was also going to work up to my due date but I am going to go on leave at 38 weeks, that makes Jan. 5th my last day, plus I am taking the week between Christmas and New Years off with vacation time. So, I am down to two weeks (6 days of work!). Fortunatly though, I can use the time as short term disability and then it doesn't count against me later.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 12-14-2006, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie9143 View Post
swtpesq-are you saying that some of your discomfort may be mental/stress?
Absolutely! My stress level correlates exactly with how I am feeling physically...when I'm stressed (whether at work, on the freeway, whatever), I experience BH ctx and heartburn. But I think it's physical, too, because I've been allowing myself to sleep as much as I need to the last couple of weeks, and to move around and drink water when I need to (instead of remaining solely focused on billing hours at work), and I think that has contributed a lot to my feeling better.

Very interesting topic!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:29 PM

My contractions are TOTALLY related to stress! My mom called me at work with some stressful news and I started having contractions almost immediatly. But I think actual labor for me will be the reverse, I doubt I will go into labor until I feel more settled and less anxious about what is going on around me.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

Old 12-14-2006, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Fortunatly though, I can use the time as short term disability and then it doesn't count against me later.
I thought that short term disability wont kick in unless there is something wrong with me or the baby that forces me not to work before the delivery? My understanding was that if i were to come off work early my midwife would have to fill out some type of form and have a valid reason....which she certainly didnt offer to do this morning when making these suggestions to me.....

I guess this is just something i need to discuss with my fiance....he is in the military and kind of has this such it up and deal mindset....i think since I am not a "frail" acting type of woman to begin with and there is nothing medically wrong with me he tends to think that I just want to sit home all day - its hard to explain something to someone that can never really know what its like i guess.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 12-15-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
I thought that short term disability wont kick in unless there is something wrong with me or the baby that forces me not to work before the delivery? My understanding was that if i were to come off work early my midwife would have to fill out some type of form and have a valid reason....which she certainly didnt offer to do this morning when making these suggestions to me.....
My midwife said that anytime after about 36 weeks she could legitimatly write me off just for being so pregnant! She said that it is my call, if I am still doing good and feeling good, I can keep working, or, if I am wearing thin and tired and ready to be done, she'll write me off! I just asked her if she would Although today my boss said if I want to finish my last few weeks (from 38 to delivery) from home, that was OK with him. I'm not sure what I'll do, I get full pay for short-term disability and I am not sure I want to try to focus on working at home, with a toddler, being 38+ weeks pregnant and trying to finish getting stuff done!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:46 AM

Quote:
I thought that short term disability wont kick in unless there is something wrong with me or the baby that forces me not to work before the delivery?
In California, at least, you can go on disability leave (where you get paid something like 55% of your salary) as of 36 weeks. My OB's office basically made it very clear that they would do sign the forms as of 36 weeks + 1 day, and no earlier unless there was an actual problem (fatigue + discomfort do not qualify).

I'm not sure if it's the same everywhere, and I don't know about private disability policies.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 AM

my last day was Friday the 8th at almost 36 weeks. Last time i worked the Friday and went into labour on the sunday and had ds on Tuesday at 39 weeks. This time i'm taking the time off to rest- I get 55% of my wage for 50 weeks.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Gotta love Canada!! I am always so jealous when I hear about the maternity benefits there.

I will definitely talk to my MW about signing me off work for atleast the last week before my edd - since its my first baby i will probably go over anyway and end up with more than one week off prior. I am only working 3 days each the next couple weeks anyway.

Thanks for the information Ladies.

Mama to Amelia - age 6

User Tag List