Insomnia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2006, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lately I've been going to sleep just fine but will wake up at 2 or 3 to pee and not be able to fall back to sleep for hours. It makes for very long and difficult days and I don't know what to do about it. Is anyone else having these types of issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2006, 12:37 PM

I'm definitely having the same issues and have been for the entire pregnancy. Insomnia is one of my biggest "pregnancy symptoms." It's very typical for me to be up for 2-4 hours every night - along with bathroom trips every 1.5-2 hours.

I usually get up, go to the couch and read or watch TV. Then I fall back to sleep on the couch and listen for my DS to wake up and need me. Then I'll race back to bed.

I don't have any REAL advice, but warm milk sometimes relaxes me.
Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 PM

I've been experiencing the same thing off and on...the only thing I know to do is to remain calm (don't get anxious or frustrated) and just allow it to be whatever it is. If I lay there in bed for a long time with no sleep in sight then I get up and do something else until I start to feel sleepy again. I think we're just going to have to tough this out ::HUG::
Old 12-16-2006, 11:32 PM

I'm there with you I HATE not being able to sleep. I never have insomnia when I am not pregnant- I am out like a light in two seconds. But now, I can't get comfortable, when I do I have to get up and pee, or I have a cx, or I'm thirsty... My midwife said I could take Hyland's Calms Forte or some kind of tea... I am forgetting at the moment (another pregnancy symptom I hate!). I've been taking the Calms Forte on nights that i REALLY need to sleep (couple nights of no sleep, big day tommorrow, super crabby, etc.).

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 12-17-2006, 01:05 AM

I feel like I haven't slept in a week. I am tired but I lay down and nothing happens. It is very frustrating! I did just read that the restless sleeplessness could be a sing of upcoming labor. Of course I'm looking for any sign of this because I'm just a few days shy of 38 weeks. Not that I'll get much more sleep once the little one arrives

Thankfully I have MDC to keep me busy at 3 am
Old 12-17-2006, 02:21 AM

I am up at that time too, nearly every night. Sometimes I can get up and do something, sometime dd feels like she needs to touch me in order to sleep and I lay there bored out of my mind for a couple of hours.
Old 12-17-2006, 04:12 AM

Ive got the same problem.. Thats why I am here tonight.. Its 1am usualy in the bed.. but could not sleep.. this has only started to kick in this past week.. I hope it is a sign of prelabor! WHoooo Hoooo.. when I feel sleepy, I guess Ill jump back in the bed with DH(of course hes not missing me now) hes in lala land snoring..
Old 12-17-2006, 03:15 PM

Same problem here... I know this sounds silly but if I sleep the wrong way in bed it helps. (my feet where my head was)
Old 12-17-2006, 11:20 PM

I'm a bit of an insomniac normally, but pregnancy amplifies it a lot. I usually practice breathing and relaxing as I rarley get to do that during the day with my toddler around...

Otherwise I just think that soon I will be up then with with my baby for company....

Julia
Old 12-17-2006, 11:32 PM

Same problem here. I go to sleep very quickly, but I have woken up between 3 adn 4 the last 4 nights. I usually stay awake for about an hour. I look at it as training for when the baby comes.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:16 PM

Ugh, I so know what you're going thru. I was just about to post my own rant about insomnia

Last night I woke up everytime our furnace kicked in (at least twice an hour), when my brother's alarm clock went off, etc... And when i did wake up, I had a hell of a time falling back asleep. I could NOT find a comfortable position. Left side, right side, back...no matter. (And I swear there's a spring in my mattress poking me...) I know they say you're not supposed to sleep on your back b/c it cuts off your circulation or breathing or something, but up until last night, it was the only way I could fall back asleep once I woke up. I'm kinda sad to think that this won't work anymore
Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 AM

i eat a bowl of cereal if i am having insomnia. usually puts me back to sleep.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:28 AM

I am in the Dec DDC, but could easily have a Jan baby.

I also suffer from insomnia and just try to take a nap in the afternoon if at all possible. It is really frustrating when it is 4 am and you know you are exhausted but you just can't sleep.

It makes me feel better to know I am not the only one and that my pregnancy journey is coming to an end.

Sweet dreams Mammas.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM

The worst, for me anyway, is falling asleep and having my DH or DD wake me up! Last night, I was up at 1 and 3 to pee, at 4 I woke up with a bad headache. I took tylenol and fell back to sleep at 4:30. DH's alarm went off at 5 and he proceeded to stomp about the house for an hour before leaving (how are his feet so freakin' loud!). Then DD woke up at 6:15 with leg cramps and didn't fall back to sleep until 7. At which time, I had to get up for work. It's bad enough when you can't sleep because YOU can't sleep, but when you can't sleep because THEY aren't sleeping, it's really annoying!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

User Tag List