Cold and Flu Season - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to this message board, but I needed a group of more like minded people because I feel like I'm going crazy on my other message board sometimes. My question for you ladies is how are you going to protect your newborn during cold and flu season. I have a 2 1/2 year old, and I don't plan on locking us up in the house. While I don't think there is anything wrong with this, it's just not something I wanted to do since I have a toddler. Breastfeeding and frequent hand washing is how I plan on protecting my baby. Are you guys going to try to avoid others for a couple months? Just curious. TIA
#2 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 03:10 PM

Hello and Welcome!! I am chiming in from the Dec board...

I had my baby 2 weeks ago and right now she has a terrible cold My 2 1/2 year old got it first and then passed it to me and now the baby. We have no clue where Elle got the cold from because she had not been out of the house for over a week and a half before getting it so it is definatly something that we brought home to her. We are avid hand washers and we did not even have anyone over to our house other than my mom who was not sick and did not catch the cold from Elle either.

My advice is lots of handwashing, vitamins, and probiotics!! I started taking probiotics the day I got sick and my cold is almost completly gone after only a few days. Elle has been sick for 12 days but is finally getting better. I am hoping that Meadow will recover quicker than Elle since she is nursing but it sure is scary having such a sick little baby!!

I hope that you and your family make it through cold and flu season in good health!!

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#3 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 05:49 PM

I'm not planning to do anything in particular to prevent colds/flu -- I'll be taking both kids to my older daughter's regular playgroups, etc.

I did get the flu shot myself during pregnancy, with the idea that it would hopefully help prevent the baby from getting the flu.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#4 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 05:56 PM

Other than handwashing and breastfeeding, nope! When my DD was born in early February, it was easy to stay home because I only had her! But now, not so much As a matter of fact, I will be taking baby (in a sling) to a mommy & me preschool with DD after a month or so.... Spending an hour with 8 other toddlers, is probably not the best idea, but we're planning on it! I suppose in addition to handwashing and breastfeeding, we are going to be slinging. I've found that people (strangers) are less likely to reach into a sling and touch a new baby, where strollers and the like invite those germy hands in! We were very fortuante with our DD that she has had a great immune system. No bad colds, flu, ear infections, antibiodics, strep. etc. We never taken her to the doc. because she was sick. Ever. Hoping for a repeat!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#5 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 08:50 PM

I'm not planning on doing anything in particular, beyond making sure we are washing hands and such. Breastfeeding will help, and I will be wearing him/her in the sling as much as possible while we're out, which should help too (no people peering into the bucket to ogle the cuteness and breathing on the baby).

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#6 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 08:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Breastfeeding and handwashing will be our sole effort around here. I'm expecting a good sized healthy term baby, so honestly I'm not too concerned about the colds and such going around. We're pretty resigned to the baby having his first cold in his first month, so have no plans of isolating ourselves or the busy pre-schooler big sister, heh. While terribly inconvenient, I just don't think it's likely to be a big complication. (Oh, just don't bring home something like chicken pox in the baby's first month daughter, that would suck, lol.) What I'd really like to avoid is being sick during labor, it would be highly annoying to me. We've been sick around here with about 3 different things for the last 2 weeks, and I'm hoping things will look up from there. Okay, we probably aren't going to get through the holiday visiting without dd coming down with something, but we'll work hard at it, and be hopeful we've seen the worst of our wintertime illnesses.
#7 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 09:06 PM

I got my older kids flu shots, and DH and I did too - that, breastfeeding and handwashing!
#8 of 9 Old 12-16-2006, 09:58 PM

Personally, I think excellent nutrition helps the most with fighting colds/flu. So we stay away from refined sweetners and get lots of fruits/veggies/whole grains here.

We also practice handwashing and I'll be tandem breastfeeding a newborn and my toddler.

Naomi, mama to Faith (12/03) and Hannah (12/06) and Kai, a homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg on 5/15/10
#9 of 9 Old 12-17-2006, 02:42 AM

I am due in a few weeks and also have the same worries. DH and I did not get the flu vaccine, but we do take 2000mg of vitamin C daily (plus I take my prenatal vitamin). I hope to breastfeed as well.

Any other suggestions for what other supplements I can take now or right after birth to protect my baby? If probiotics, what type and how much?

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page