When to start buying yourself things off the registry??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2006, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're on number 4 and I'm not having a shower because we've moved away from all my friends a few months ago. I registered and sent the link to friends and family as a guide in case anyone wanted to buy us something. We really didn't expect anyone to buy anything, we just thought it would be nice to make it easier for them to buy something we really needed. But now I have this dilemma. I'm feeling a bit panicky about not having everything I need. If I go and buy the absolute necessities, I will leave the registry with mostly the big ticket items. But I'm a bit worried about ending up having the baby and not having enough things like recieving blankets and washcloths (for wipies).:
What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2006, 08:09 PM

Since you due near first of Janaury, I think it safe to buy enough necessities for first weeks of arrival to get by with and after a couple of weeks and you hasnt receive anything then go back and buy whatever else.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:46 PM

This is our second and maybe two people bought off our registry. My mom and I went to the store I registered at and she kept saying "oh you could really use this, and you could really use that" and I kept saying " I know, I registered for it but everyone got my blankets and clothes!" Which I am incredibly grateful for but there were still somethings that we needed. My mom was so great she bought us some must haves for Christmas and I bought a few more. (We wouldn't have a co-sleeper if it weren't for Grandma.) I'm due in the very beginning of January too and I say go for it and get the things you absolutely need because the last thing you want to be doing after the babies born is going to the "baby store" to get things you still need.

All the best
Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 PM

Buy what you need! It's important you have what you need so you feel ready. If you get duplicates you should be able to exchange them with little to no trouble. Most stores won't hassle you (assuming you're not trying to exchange movies, CDs or electronics lol) and if one store does, you can always just take it to a different store.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Buy what you will need and leave the other stuff on the registry. Gifts seem to some in heavily right after the birth announcements go out and then taper off in about 4-6 weeks. You can buy whatever's left after that.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 PM

I'm headed out tomorrow or Friday to by the last "must have" items. I waited until after Christmas and figured that any last minute things people were giving us, we would have by then. I only need a few more things- a new diaper bag, a wipe warmer, breast pads, medela pump parts and a couple more newborn/small diaper covers. Although the list keeps growing I just realized we also need a pad for the changing table. I'm due 10 days after you, but hitting full term was my "lets finish this stuff up" mark!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:51 PM

I agree, buy whatever you really NEED to get through the first couple of weeks.

Of course, it can be surprising how little that really is!

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

That's just it...we really don't need all that much. I hate buying the few inexpensive things we need off the list and leaving all of the big ticket "frivolous" items that we added just for the fun of it. I'll probably run out and pick up the last few things in the next two weeks. I've gone two weeks overdue with all three of our other kids so hopefully I've still got time.
Old 12-30-2006, 01:21 AM

VERY much not from your DDC, but it has been my experience (my wedding shower, and many many baby showers that I've gone to) people just don't care about your registry. They just buy whatever they want to buy you. Seriously. Most people don't even LOOK at your registry.

We registered, for fun, and so I can remember what I need, but I don't expect to get ANYTHING from my registry, unless they accidently liked something I picked out and didn't even realize. And what is worse is when people ask you what you need. Hello? I registered!! And then, they will just pick whatever. Grr.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:06 AM

I agree with PP. BUy only what you need to get by. Wash rags are must, diapers, a few outfits, but that really all we really need right?

User Tag List