Is this the beginning of labour??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-31-2006, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Ladies,

First-time mommie-to-be over here and I have a question about some back "flutters" I've been feeling lately.

Don't know how else to describe them other than these weird, fluttery/twingey feelings in my lower back and sometimes up around my neck at the same time. They're not painful...except the one last night which lasted much longer and was rather uncomfortable.

They feel like nerve things...I don't know if I would call them cramps either. Sort of like back aches that pulse a little. Also - I never get menstrual cramps so I don't know what those feel like and am not sure if that's what I'm describing above. : Gosh - this sounds so vague and crytpic, eh? But, does this sound familiar to anyone???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2006, 03:26 PM

I don't recognize your description as anything I felt in my previous pregnancy. Typically I believe the early labor contractions in your back will be pretty crampy, although I think it can be just an ache too. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint ) I skipped early labor with DS and went straight into hard active labor so I can't speak from experience.

However, since you describe it almost as a nerve thing, it could be your baby pressing on some nerves, or that as your pelvis is shifting and loosening up, nerves are being pressed. See if some stretching and yoga might help alleviate it, particularly poses that open up the hips and low back.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
Old 12-31-2006, 06:42 PM

I also think it is probably a nerve / joint thing, or just weird Braxton Hicks. I had about 6 hrs of early labour before things really got going last time, and the contractions get increasingly strong and regular. It might be pre-prelabour, but its got to be a few in a row or there needs to be increasing regularity and intensity for it to be labour. Usually.

Jill , mom to Andrew (09/04), Aaron(01/07), and Emma (11/09)

User Tag List