Birth Story and Slideshow - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I awoke with contractions at about 4:30am on January the 6th, the morning of Jas and I's six year anniversary. The contractions were fairly strong, and about 5-6 minutes apart. After several, I woke dh up and asked him to help me time them. We lit the lavendar candles I had purchased for this event, an dimmed the lights. The contractions increased in intensity, and I called my doula. She came, and before I knew it they were very steady and very strong. I remember my friend brushing my hair, and dh's loving hands on me.

I threw up twice...my midwife arrived and said that she sees alot of centimeters disappear with vomiting. In a strange way this comforts me. I sat on my birth ball and swayed slightly almost the entire time. I took a few contractions on hands and knees, but the ball by far was most comfortable for me.

I remember that vocalizing through the intense contractions helped tremendously. I breathed out, and just let the air pass over my vocal cords without me holding it back. It was kind of a low moaning sound. My midwife gently reminds me to direct my sounds down low, towards my bottom. I feel my cervix melting away like butter.

I was sitting on the ball, and I remember my birth attendants literally sitting on the floor at my feet, ready and waiting to help me in any way. I remember feeling so touched by this, even during my labor. I felt the thousands upon thousands of women who labored in this way for thousands of years, all sitting with me, smiling. It gives me chills even to write this now.

After what seems like no time at all, a very overwhelming contraction comes over me and my body starts to bear down. I told my midwife "I think I'm pushing..." She smiled and said, "I think you're right." They moved me to my couch, (since we were in the living room already) which someone had prepared quickly, and I experienced another uber-contraction. This unnerves me a little, and I am frightened at the prospect of pushing. The experience was so difficult and disappointing with my first. She checked me and my cervix was gone. I pushed with the next contraction, and felt my baby move down several inches. I told her again that I was afraid. She said "don't be...you don't even have to push, your body will do it, Sarah. Don't be afraid." This was all I needed. Two more contractions, and I was holding my baby girl in my arms. She was born in the caul (the sack of waters) still intact, which everyone told me was a good omen.

She is so beautiful, and so much more than I could ever ask for. In all my labor was 4 hours and 45 minutes. I didn't tear at all, not even a skidmark. A far cry from the 19.5 hour birth of my son! And such a different, healing experience. No hospital, ticking time clock, augmentation, football/purple faced pushing for two hours, 45 minutes of stitching up a third degree tear afterwards. I feel like I took my body's right to birth back. Giving birth in this way was the single most gratifying, rewarding thing that I have ever done. I am still thanking God every minute and wondering if this is all real!

Here is a montage of Zoey's birth that I wanted to share. Peace and strength to all!

Here it is.
#2 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 03:19 AM

So precious! Thanks for sharing.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#3 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 07:15 AM

Wow, what a fantastic story, and great pictures!

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
#4 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 07:27 AM

Congratulations

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#5 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 07:44 AM

Congrats what a great story and pics
#6 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Ok, I work away from home once every other week, which is the only time I wear makeup. Of course, I just put it on before watching your slideshow & now I have to go fix it all since I cried through the whole thing!

Really, it was beautiful- the story, the slideshow, your daughter- everything! I have a slideshow planned for when mine decides to arrive, as well. Thank you so much for sharing yours!
#7 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 09:34 AM

Beautiful story and touching montage, Congratulations!
#8 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 10:15 AM

She is absolutely adorable!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

#9 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Your story and the pictures made me cry. What a beautiful birth story. It is such a blessing that you had the birth experience you wanted this time. Many congratulations to tyou.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#10 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Congratulations on your beautiful daughter and beautiful birth. I can't even watch the slideshow becuase the story is about to put me over the edge. My body will not do what yours did. And it is all I wanted. Feel blessed because you are.
#11 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Your montage was gorgeous. Congrats. Zoey (and the big brother) are adorable.

My kiddos and I love watching these baby birth montages. My 4.5 asked if the feathered "tickled the baby" and then begged me to play it again.

Best wishes to you and your beautiful family.
#12 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Just beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story and pictures. Enjoy your new baby girl and her big brother!
#13 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 01:44 PM

Ok, I'm a serious mess right now. : Thank you so much for sharing your healing, inspiring experience. Congratulations, again!

Could you share what song you used in the montage? It's just perfect.
#14 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 05:25 PM

: OMG Sarah, what a beautiful story and gorgeous little girl. I am so glad I decided to come look for your post.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#15 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 05:38 PM

That was a beautiful birth story! You looked so calm and relaxed through your labor. I wish my next labor will be like that. The pics of your daughter are gorgeous! And the ones with her and your son are precious! Thanks so much for sharing.

Kristen treehugger.gif mama to Chris(15)eat.gif, Kaitlyn(10)blahblah.gif, TJ(8)sleepytime.gif and Natalie(5)thumbsuck.gif & Emily(2)diaper.gif

#16 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 05:39 PM

Simply inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing. Your slideshow was wonderful, I couldn't help crying as I watched, it was so lovely.

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#17 of 19 Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Wow! That was an amazing, empowering story and video montage Thank you so much for sharing! Congratulations on your beautiful birth and amazing new baby!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#18 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 02:22 PM

Wonderful story mama! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl and thank you for being an inspiration to us (the ones still waiting!) - enjoy your precious children!
#19 of 19 Old 01-16-2007, 11:42 PM

That is so beautiful ... I cried watching your slide show. How lucky you are to have all those beautiful pictures!
Congratulations to you and your family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page