Know how to make a baby drop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I bought myself an extra week. The doc. said he had not problems letting me go until 42 wks. He said that was his cutoff point, though, and we'd "have" to induce after that. I didn't see the point of arguing with him today; we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. But as long as everything's okay, we're not inducing at 42 wks, either....

Actually, it amuses me slightly all that I have to go thru in the next week. They had planned to give me a NST today to make sure that I was okay to go "over" until Friday (when he had orig. planned to induce). But since I'm going an extra week, he had me do an ultrasound to make sure there was enough fluid and to check on the size of the baby. I have to come back in on Friday for another NST. And Tuesday, I go back in for another US and NST, w/ another doc, since mine will be out of town from Sat. until Wed. This seems a little, um, excessive, since the whole pregnancy has been normal. I guess if it gives him peace of mind....

Oh, and do you know what the US said for the weight? 9 lbs 12 oz. I don't know whether to laugh or cry. He did say, "Sometimes they're off, but sometimes they're really accurate." Which, to me, basically says it told us nothing and it's still hit or miss. But nevertheless...

He said his main concern at this point is that the baby hasn't dropped, yet. He's afraid that I might have to end up having a C/S. This doesn't entirely surprise me, b/c my mom ended up having c/s w/ me and my brother b/c we never dropped (and I was 6 wks overdue).

Does anyone have a trick for making a baby drop?

(PS-->I'm going to cross-post this in "I'm Pregnant" to try to get a few more responses...I'm desparate!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 02:32 PM

The only thing I can think of is to walk, walk, walk...however I don't really know if that will make baby drop, but I don't think it would hurt.
#3 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM

How about sitting in a squat position a lot or maybe bouncing on a birth ball a lot. I think taylor sitting is supposed to help with dropping as well.

Kens
#4 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 04:26 PM

I've heard walking and dancing are both good. I hope the baby drops soon! Mine didn't start to drop until the week before she was born, and didn't drop completely until labor began.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#5 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 04:37 PM

Mopping my kitchen floor on my hands and knees has worked for me in the past. Although I'd recommend wearing knee pads or putting a thick towel underneath them to avoid blisters.

I don't know how right this is, but I've read before that you shouldn't squat until baby is engaged. That squatting widens the "lower" rim of the pelvis which is helpful after baby has descended a certain amount and you're pushing, but that it actually narrows the "upper" rim somewhat. Has anyone else heard that? I know I've read it before in birthing books.

I would think lots of walking, swaying, and pelvic rocking would all be things that would help. Oh, and don't recline back in a chair or on the couch with your feet up. Always sit up straight, leaning slightly forward to help things stay aligned. You might check out spinningbabies.com for more tips.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#6 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=ibusymomto5;7096763

I don't know how right this is, but I've read before that you shouldn't squat until baby is engaged. That squatting widens the "lower" rim of the pelvis which is helpful after baby has descended a certain amount and you're pushing, but that it actually narrows the "upper" rim somewhat. Has anyone else heard that? I know I've read it before in birthing books.
[/QUOTE]

I would guess this depends on who you ask. The Bradley Method encourages squatting daily to stretch the perineum, but I am not sure what it does in regard to positioning. I have been squatting daily for some time now (we use Bradley) and my baby is about as low as he can go without coming out lol, so it hasn't stopped him!

Kens
#7 of 9 Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kens View Post
I would guess this depends on who you ask. The Bradley Method encourages squatting daily to stretch the perineum, but I am not sure what it does in regard to positioning. I have been squatting daily for some time now (we use Bradley) and my baby is about as low as he can go without coming out lol, so it hasn't stopped him!

Kens

I bet you're right. I used Bradley with my 3rd baby, first VBAC, and she actually did drop at about 36wks. I had done tons and tons of squatting that whole pregnancy in hopes it would help widen things below to give myself the best odds for a VBAC. It was later on that I read about squatting being better suited for once baby is already down low, and I always wondered how much truth there was to that. Maybe not much...

Best wishes for you on having a VBAC. It's great that your baby is so low.

Happily married, busy mom to a houseful :-)

Expecting again early Oct 2014!

#8 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibusymomto5 View Post
I don't know how right this is, but I've read before that you shouldn't squat until baby is engaged.
i've never heard that... my midwife recommended squatting to get the baby to drop... but then he never really did, so maybe you are right!
#9 of 9 Old 01-28-2007, 11:56 AM

Bouncing on a birth ball, curb walking (one foot on, one foot off) and bumpy car rides LOL I know that last one works as my brother got my DS to drop for me that way (but we're talking off roading in a CJ7)....unfortunately he dropped and popped back up and dropped again 4 days later for good

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page