Hot tub after baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-26-2007, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just trying to plan a little get-away for me and the baby and dh in-between the insane number of visits we're going to have after baby arrives. There's a really neat hot springs 'resort' near here and so I was thinking that might be nice.
Is there any reason I still shouldn't be getting in a hot tub after the baby's born? Would it interfere with healing of any tears or other 'injuries' I might get during labor / delivery? Just looking for any thoughts / experience ya'll might have on the subject...
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-27-2007, 02:46 AM

Just quoting "medical advice" here...

After my first birth I got the go-ahead to take baths as soon as my inscision healed and was told it was okay because I had not dialated past 3cm. This time I had a VBAC and was told no baths/swimming/etc. until 4-6weeks pptm because of the slight chance of water making its way all the way into my uterus where the placenta had been attatched and was now a healing wound, blah, blah, blah. Hot tubs can be worse because heat+water+lovely communal bacteria=infection.

Again, just quoting what the docs/nurses told me at discharge. I do know tons of women who have taken baths, gone swimming, etc. after just a couple of weeks pptm.
#3 of 3 Old 01-27-2007, 02:50 AM

I took a nice bath about 20 minutes after dd was born (in the water fwiw) And continued to take baths 2-3+ times a day on the midwife's suggestion.

As to a public hot tub... I wouldn't until post partum bleeding stopped, personally. But public hot tubs are pretty icky. I would say it depends on the resort, but I wouldn't consider it until about a month or so after probably.

-Angela

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page