Saffron's Here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2007, 12:39 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did it! I had my VBA2C on January 23 (DS' birthday—he was NOT amused), but not quite how I'd planned it. I wanted a UC waterbirth but ended up in the hospital with an epidural instead. I woke up Monday morning around 8am with horrible contractions coming every 6 minutes or so. I waited until noon to make sure they weren't going to stop, then called my husband home from work to start filling the pool. I labored in the pool until 6pm or so with the contractions getting stronger but not closer together, then checked myself and realized I wasn't dilating. I went to the hospital to get checked out and find out what the problem was. Turns out I was effacing, but v e r y slowly. Around midnight I was so exhausted that I cracked and asked for an epidural, which allowed me to relax enough to dilate. My water broke on it's own around 2:15 am and Saffron was born at 8:40 am. Because I couldn't really feel my legs, I ended up with the dreaded stirrups--talk about awkward--but it was my fault because I asked for the drugs. If I hadn't had them I could've birthed in whatever position I wanted. She came flying out trying to suck on her thumb--OUCH! even with the epi--and I ended up with a second degree tear.

Saffron Linda Faye weighed 9lbs 13oz and was 21in long. She also had a 13.75in head that didn't mold, so that combined with the hand made me really happy for the epidural. She was born 2 days before her due date.

I feel really lucky to have found a doctor willing to attend me in a town that doesn't "allow" VBACs because there is no 24/7 surgical staff. He came in on his night off at my request, called in the entire OR staff and had them prepped and ready just in case, and didn't leave the hospital all night until Saffron was born. He only freaked out on me once when we realized she was going to be big, and it was about her possibly getting stuck, not about rupture. Never tried to talk me out of it, though. I was the first VBA2C he ever attended and I think he just got nervous.

I can't believe how much easier a vaginal recovery is than a c-section recovery. My c-sections were easy, but they in no way compare to this. I'm having horrible afterpains, but that's to be expected because it was my 3rd pregnancy and I'm breastfeeding. Otherwise, I feel fine even with the stitches in my crotch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2007, 03:25 AM

Welcome, Saffron! Congrats, mama. I'm glad she's out, even if it wasn't the birth you planned on. Enjoy your babymoon.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 AM

Oh I love her name! I wanted to use that but couldn't convince DH.

Congrats on your VBAC mama! I can't wait to see pictures!

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:55 AM

So Positive! Enjoy your glory VBAC mama! I know the afterpains get you!
I have heared they get worse with each babe. I know my 3rd was very uncomfortable for a few days. Hopefully your doc will continue to support VBAC's and not be afraid of big babies! You could let him know that birthing on your back with the stirrups could have contributed to the tearing. He should try the side laying next time and let the other humans in the room be the stirrups. They are rather humilliating contraptions arn't they.

Kiya- Mama to 3 growing Son's. Waldorf joy.gifDoula  hug.gif  Making Recycled Woolens and Trainers every spare moment.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:01 AM

Congratulations on a big healthy girl. Sorry it wasn't the birth you had planned but WTG on the VBA2C!
Old 01-27-2007, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

I agreed to the stirrups. I could have tried to deliver side-lying but that was way out of my comfort zone on the little hospital bed. I wasn't on my back either--I was mostly sitting up. If I hadn't been ok with the positioning, I wouldn't have been in that positition. I could've had them turn the epi back enough to move around, but I didn't want to suddenly experience really painful contractions after not feeling anything for several hours. I think I mainly tore because her hand was up by her face and she just sort of shot out really quickly.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:25 AM

Yay! Congrats to you!!! Welcome, Saffron!

Mama to my spirited J, and L, my homebirth: baby especially DTaP, MMR (family vax injuries)
Old 01-28-2007, 12:16 PM

Yay! Congrats on your VBAC mama! Welcome baby Saffron!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:34 PM

Congratulations!

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 AM

Congrats!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora

User Tag List