Noah Craig is here!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-01-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The Birth Story of Noah Craig Malmfeldt

It all started Tuesday Jan. 30th. I woke up to go to the bathroom at 6:00AM. I had been having good contractions the night before, but they had stopped and I had gotten some much needed rest. I went back to bed after using the restroom and right after I laid down I got the first contraction of labor. It was so much different then anything I had felt before. I waited for a bit and 8 minutes later another one came. I woke up Michael and told him it was for sure time. We got up and started doing some last minute packing, cleaning, and other things. At about 7:00AM we decided to go to our Church and do some walking because the contractions were coming, but they were not very regular. So, we walked for about an hour and the contractions quickly regulated out to around 5 minutes apart and last 45 seconds. I knew in my heart it was too early to go to the hospital, but was also scared because I had never been in labor before, so we went ahead to the hospital. I called my doula and she met us there. We went in and they checked me. I was still really high and only 1 centimeter dilated. It was really disappointing! I had to stay on the monitors for an hour to make sure baby was doing okay and when she came back in again to check me I was much lower and at a 1.5. Still disappointing, but at least I had made some progress! So, they sent us home and said they expected to see us back soon though. We went to my mom’s house because she has a large whirlpool tub and other comforts and stayed there most of the day. The contractions continued all day long. At around 6:00PM, I was really getting tired and the contractions were really getting long and intense. From 6:00PM-8:00PM, they consistently lasted 5 minutes apart and were about 1 minute 15 seconds in length, but I was determined not to go back to the hospital too early again. Just after 8:00PM I got a contraction that was WAY more painful then anything I had had up until that point and then two more right on top of that one. We immediately headed to the hospital. The car ride there was awful, so uncomfortable! We got to the hospital and they checked me, talk about disappointment, I was only at a 3 cm stretched to 4!! I couldn’t believe I had been in labor all day and that’s all that had happened. I was having a really hard time getting on top of my contractions at that point, but after I calmed down and really got into my relaxation techniques, things were much better! They got us in our birth suite, which was SO nice, and we got comfortable. I had music, candles (battery operated), and dim lighting, it was very relaxing. I continued to labor in there for a long time. Each check I made progression, but it was slow progression. They called my midwife when I was dilated to a 6. It was comforting to have her there. Finally, I got to a 7 and then transition hit. Wow!! I have never felt anything like that before! I was in a lot of pain and after about 24 hours of labor and no sleep, I was exhausted, but I was determined to make this vaginal birth work! Everything I had read had said that transition was the fasted stage of labor, so I was hoping that things would pick up and he would be born soon. I went through one hour of transition, then two…they checked me and I was at a 9 and I was just out of energy. I was so disappointed (again!). I decided I had to take an epidural, so about 15 minutes after I requested it, I got the epidural. At first, the epidural was horrible. It didn’t work in one part of my lower hip/side area and so all of the pain was concentrated in that spot, I was having a really hard time coping with it. They had me move around and finally the medication took everywhere. While it didn’t take away all of the pain, it did numb me enough that I could get some rest (not sleep, but I could at least relax a little bit). I rested for about an hour and around 9:45AM (Jan. 31st), I got the first urge to push, that was SUCH a relief!! My midwife came in and not only was I complete, but he was crowning!! They got everything set up and began pushing. I pushed through 4 contractions and he was out!!!! He was born at 10:09 AM, Wednesday, Jan. 31st via successful VBAC delivery after 28 hours of labor. He weighed 6 lbs. 12 oz. and was 21 inches long. I came out with a 2nd degree tear, but I cannot tell you how much better the recovery has been then the recovery from my c-section. There is just a world of difference. I had my husband, mother, and doula there throughout the entire thing and they were so much help. It was a long labor, but was so smooth and uncomplicated; it really was a beautiful labor and delivery! Here are some pictures of the delivery and of Noah (nothing too gruesome, but there are some breastfeeding pics)...

http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailsh...ue/t_=23519729

Kens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 PM

Awww, he is adorable!!! Congratulations on your VBAC... those long labors sure can wear a person out, but I'm so happy it went so well!!
#3 of 3 Old 02-02-2007, 02:18 AM

congrats!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page