March DDC but baby Nic is here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Baby Nicolas arrived at 35 weeks on January 27th, 534pm. 5lbs even, 18 inches long, and absolutely perfect.

I've had a high risk pregnancy pretty much from the start. I had some major scary bleeds at 7 and 11 weeks. I really thought I had miscarried both times but luckily Nicolas stayed put. I was put on pelvic rest and off exercise at that point but was allowed to continue working.

At 22 weeks it was determined I had Incompetent Cervix (IC) due to a short cervix. I had a cerclage put in (stitches to keep the cervix closed). That was surgery #1. 2 weeks later I had laproscopic surgery to remove an inflamed gallbladder, surgery #2.

I ended up spending 2 weeks in the high risk perinatal unit at the hospital following surgery #2 due to pain and feeding complications. I was also put on bed rest and had to leave my job. I spent 3 months on bedrest, exhausted my maternity leave, and had to quit my job. Bedrest is a killer and I nearly went crazy but it was worth it in the end.

Finally on January 27th, at 345 am my water broke. My boyfriend Alex and I rushed to the hospital. We got to L+D triage only to be tested for amniotic fluid to make sure I hadn't just peed on myself and caused a false alarm. Now this was my first pregnancy but I *knew* I hadn't peed on myself, it's a completely different feeling having your water break.

Once it was confirmed, they moved me into an L+D room. I was dilated approx 3 cm and 50% effaced, the doctor was on his way to remove my cerclage. At this point, I wasn't having any painful contractions although the monitor showed I was having contractions.

My OB arrived and began to remove my cerclage which was more uncomfortable than I thought it'd be. Once the cerclage was out though, the contractions began to come quickly and strongly. I've never felt anything like that in my life. It took 45 minutes for the anesthesiologist to come by with the epidural but once it kicked in, I was fine. By noon, I had progressed to 6 cm dilated and my OB was happy with the progress. However baby wasn't moving down. In fact I could feel his feet still high up in my abdomen. By 5pm, we were still stuck at 6cm and baby was still high. I had been given a slow pit drip at noon but it didn't seem to be working and baby had a few decel moments.

At that point my OB decided to go forth with the c-section and things just moved quickly from there. I was so freaked out to have a c-section but my body just didn't seem to want to cooperate with a vaginal birth. Alex suited up and surgery began. Nicolas was born at 534pm and was absolutely perfect. He scored an 8 and 9 on his Apgars and despite being early and considered a preemie, he was totally healthy.

He roomed in with us from the start and began breastfeeding. I had to supplement him but now a week later and comfortably home, he's nursing 100% of the time! He had lost weight and went from 5 pounds to 4lbs6oz but now he's 4lbs10oz and eating more and more. He's such a tiny guy but perfect in every way and we couldn't be happier.

Right now he's sleeping on Daddy's chest and they look so cute. On to the photos.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/IMG_0988.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/IMG_1021.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/IMG_0984.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...l/IMG_0974.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2007, 09:03 AM

What a crazy experience! It sounds like all is well now (I also saw your post in LWB thread). Congratulations on making it through all that and on baby Nic's arrival!!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:13 PM

COngratulations!

Please come by the March group and update us. I think you are our first baby!
Old 02-05-2007, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavournin View Post
COngratulations!

Please come by the March group and update us. I think you are our first baby!
Just did and I think you're right!

I really thought I'd end up with a February baby due to my complications but baby surprised us all!

User Tag List