Baby Jasper born 1/25/07, natural VBAC! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-11-2007, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Fay

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I woke up at 5 am on Jan. 22 w/contractions 5 minutes apart. By 11am the contractions were strong enough that I called DH and told him to come home from work, called my in-laws and told them to be at our house within 24 hours (they live in another state), called my doula and told her to meet me at the hospital in the afternoon. I started passing some bloody mucus. At hospital triage, the contractions were still 5 minutes apart and my cervix was completely closed, so I went home after 2 hours on EFM.

Contractions continued all through the night, getting stronger but not closer together. At my regular OB appt. on 1/23, I was 1 cm dilated and I asked to have my membranes swept. Contractions continued to get stronger, but not any closer. My in-laws arrived right after the OB appt.

On 1/24, I realized I could no longer labor at home. It was too intense and it was upsetting DS1. My doula met me at the hospital at 10:30 am. My water had broken -- without me realizing it -- on the way to the hospital. I was 4 cm dilated, hooked up to an IV and EFM. With the help of my doula, I was able to change positions frequently, from the bed to the rocker to the birth ball to pacing beside the bed. Whenever I sat down or lay down, the contractions slowed down and became weaker. Whenever I got up to use the toilet, I would have 4 or 5 really strong contractions in a row.

Dilation was complete at 9 pm on 1/24, and I started getting the urge to push, but couldn't find the right muscles to use. Around 11 pm, I pushed and felt my baby's head pop through the cervical opening. DH came running in after tucking in our very anxious DS1 at home. I kept changing positions to push, and finally the baby came squirting out -- sunnyside up! -- at 1:30 am on 1/25. He was covered in meconium and had the cord around his neck. DH rushed to be by his side as his mouth and nose were suctioned and I was stitched up -- I had a second degree tear. DH insisted that we name our baby Jasper, I'm not sure where this inspiration came from, but I love it. Our baby is gorgeous and super-snuggly, just like his big brother. We are totally in love!

I never felt the need for painkillers, even though the labor lasted for 68.5 hours. I was soooooooo happy that I went into spontaneous labor (I never even had pre-labor symptoms before DS1's labor was induced at 41+ weeks), that I truly welcomed each contraction joyfully. I know that sounds insane, but it's true. The pain was never as bad as the Pitocin-induced contractions I had with DS1. I always had a break between contractions, and I used yoga breathing techniques, yoga positions and Hypnobirthing relaxation/visualization methods to ease discomfort. My doula was also familiar with these methods, and she helped immensely. It was a 3 day long yoga marathon. Recovery has been much easier than my c-section. We are having breastfeeding issues, but things improve every day.

Thank for this DDC. It's been a source of inspiration!

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#2 of 10 Old 02-11-2007, 05:05 PM

What great story- and exhausting just thinking abput 68 hours of labor!

Congratulations!!!
#3 of 10 Old 02-11-2007, 07:32 PM

CONGRATULATIONS mama!!!
#4 of 10 Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 AM

Wow, congratulations on your long, beautiful labor! Welcome, Jasper!
I hope breastfeeding gets easier. Enjoy your babymoon!

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#5 of 10 Old 02-12-2007, 12:43 AM

Congratulation mama! Welcome Jasper!

Allison.... mom of DS1 (7) and DS2 (4) and awaiting #3 near the end of April 2011
#6 of 10 Old 02-25-2007, 04:50 PM

Holy CRAP that's a long labor! Congratulations, Fay, you are a HERO! And WELCOME baby Jasper!!!!

read.gif, mom to wild.gif and dust.gif, partner to malesling.GIF
#7 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 AM

Congratulations on your VBAC!!! You're an inspiration with your long labor.

S & J . DD 2/8/7. DS 4/25/10. Natural foods eating, sleep deprived, gardening WAH mama.
#8 of 10 Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 PM

Way to go Mama! welcome to the world Jasper
#9 of 10 Old 03-03-2007, 01:44 AM

glad to finally get the scoop! you are absolutely amazing -- such resolve! congrats again, best wishes on the nursing and much love to your newly expanded family.
#10 of 10 Old 03-07-2007, 04:14 AM

I've never posted on this board, but read it occasionally. I just had to respond to your post because I gave birth to my son, Jasper, on January 25 as well. Just couldn't believe the coincidence!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page