How'd you find out you were pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the doctors yesterday for something completely unrelated, and I figured while I was there, get a pregnancy test done. I got the shock of my life when the nurse came back in and said it was faintly positive! I was only 10 days po, and he didn't even "complete" in me!

They ordered a blood test, and this morning I'm waiting for them to call me. Technically, the due date is January 27th, but considering the fact that I gestate longer than the typical 40 weeks, I'm going to be here. It would just be too frustrating for me to be on the January board, and see all these women giving birth a full month or more before me.

After the blood test was ordered, I went to break the news to the father. I got in the door, fell into the chair across the table from him, and when he asked me how my doctors appointment went, I burst into tears! His response "Well, that doesn't sound good."

I rambly told him what had happened, looking down at the table crying. He ducked his head down to make eye contact with me, and he said "It's nothing to cry about."

I rambled a bit more, and then we sat in silence for a little while. I asked him what names he liked. He only has a boys name picked out. Liam. I like it. I'm sending him a list of girls names I like later, after I get the blood test results.

He's cool with the fact that I'm going to give birth at home. I've already showed him my copies of Mothering magazine, before we found out I was pregnant, just so he knew what I was about. He has no other children, so he's pretty open to what I want to do.

I already have 3 other children from my marriage. I'm not telling them anytime soon.

I'm in shock. This man is amazing, both when I think about him logically and when I think about him with my heart.

So, how'd you find out you were pregnant, and how'd you tell the father?
#2 of 25 Old 05-17-2006, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Just got off the phone with the doc. The blood test was positive. WOW.
#3 of 25 Old 05-17-2006, 09:14 PM

hi, popping in from January DDC, Congrats!!!
#4 of 25 Old 05-19-2006, 03:05 AM

hey, jumping by from TTC forum to see if anybody is here, lol, and want to say congrats and have an uneventful 9/10 months!

Liv, SAHM of 3 kiddos 

#5 of 25 Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 PM

i just found out today - 12dpo! i have been trying for ages. due date is around february 7th (actually TCOYF software says between January 18th and February 7th, but I am hoping that by giving the later date people won't bug me as much and I will have less of a chance of interventions and more of a chance for a nice HB!!!). i am sooo excited!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#6 of 25 Old 05-22-2006, 11:12 PM

Congrats to all who tested positive. DH and I are trying to concieve #2. I'm only about a 8-10 DPO, but I feel like I'm pregnant. I'll test in a few days.:
#7 of 25 Old 05-23-2006, 03:46 AM

Congratulations! I'll let you know if I will be hanging out with ya in about 2 weeks.

Tina ~ SAHcarrot.gif- head Mama to - 

DS blowkiss.gif(07/'03), DD energy.gif(05'05), DS, unplanned UC sleepytime.gif(01/'09), DD joy.gif(06/'11) ...

SURPRISE!  dizzy.gifNew little one, due Sept. 2013

#8 of 25 Old 05-23-2006, 12:52 PM

I may join in soon too

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
#9 of 25 Old 05-24-2006, 01:04 PM

noone answered the poor girl's question yet, so here goes... with dd, my AF was late, i was drinking a Hard lemonade and smoking a cigartette, and thought "i better test before having another!" so i did... it was positive! with my ds, i looked in the mirror one day, and saw the "pigmented marks above my lip (from when i was pg with dd)" had suddenly gotten darker, my vagina was very swollen inside for no reason, i had alot of cm, and my uterus was "buzzing" as if electricity was running through it. i KNEW i was pg, even when 3 pg tests came out negative. i was like "honey, i KNOW i'm pg, it's just not showing up yet on the test". 3 days later, BFP!!! this time, i've not yet had my 1st PPAF, and on sat., i looked in the mirror, and saw the spots above my lip got darker, my vagina is swollen, and i have alot of cm. Pg test is neg, but i'm waiting to take another next week, just to make sure... we'll see! by the way... congratulations!!!

Keri ~ Wife to dh Mommy to dd 11 whistling.gif ds 9 bouncy.gif  dd 6 1/2 kid.gif 
#10 of 25 Old 05-24-2006, 01:37 PM

you know how they say moles change during pregnancy? Well I am waiting to see if I miss my period in the next few dyas to test, but I have a mole above my lip that is changing!It is over the left corner-yk,kind of like a marilyn monroe thing....Well part of it crusted up and fell off! I liked it. It was like my signature facial feature.lol Well now it is only half there.
Anyway...lol

#11 of 25 Old 05-24-2006, 01:43 PM

Congrats!!!!!
#12 of 25 Old 05-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Well, I'm just beginning the TWW for this *February love bug*

With my first, I found out I was pregnant on my birthday. My friends were throwing me a party and I didn't want to drink "just in case".

With my second, I was SO SICK and working two jobs, the night job was tending bar and just the thought of walking in to all that smoke made me want to puke, so thought I'd better test. Sho'nuff, I was preggo. I think I was so surprised I actually said, "Oh!" out loud. I called DH and told him he needed to come over right away (he wasn't DH yet) and he said, "Well, I'm eating now, so I'll be over later.":
#13 of 25 Old 05-25-2006, 02:07 AM

I started testing at 7dpo and got a BFP! I didn't believe it though. Last night it got considerably darker and today it was really dark at 10dpo. So here I am! Yay!
#14 of 25 Old 05-25-2006, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jee'smom
noone answered the poor girl's question yet, so here goes... with dd, my AF was late, i was drinking a Hard lemonade and smoking a cigartette, and thought "i better test before having another!" so i did... it was positive! with my ds, i looked in the mirror one day, and saw the "pigmented marks above my lip (from when i was pg with dd)" had suddenly gotten darker, my vagina was very swollen inside for no reason, i had alot of cm, and my uterus was "buzzing" as if electricity was running through it. i KNEW i was pg, even when 3 pg tests came out negative. i was like "honey, i KNOW i'm pg, it's just not showing up yet on the test". 3 days later, BFP!!! this time, i've not yet had my 1st PPAF, and on sat., i looked in the mirror, and saw the spots above my lip got darker, my vagina is swollen, and i have alot of cm. Pg test is neg, but i'm waiting to take another next week, just to make sure... we'll see! by the way... congratulations!!!
Ok, this "buzzing"... I have felt this too!Weird.

#15 of 25 Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 AM

I just found out this morning!! 4 weeks today... woo hoo!!
#16 of 25 Old 05-25-2006, 02:20 PM

I have been feeling sick for a few days and my breasts are sore...so I randomly tested yesterday with this dollar store test and I had and the second the pee hit it...TWO lines!!! Then I bought two more tests and took them. My yearly pap was today and sho nuff...bun in the oven!
I;m in shock...DP is a zombie. I can;t believe it!
#17 of 25 Old 05-26-2006, 02:30 AM

DH wanted me to wait and not spend the money to poas. I just couldn't take it anymore! I am 15 dpo and my luteal phase has never gone more than 16 so if I had just waited a couple of more days I would have known just by my charting. My temps have stayed up but still I broke down and bought the cheapest test I could find. The line in the pregnant part showed up before the line in the "control" part. I think I"ve rechecked it 7 different times. It's still positive With DD I got pregnant the first month we tried and with this one it's taken us about 8 months so i was starting to get worried.

Oh, btw, I had some wierd symptoms too like my nipples leaking (DD still nurses at 30 mo) and I NEVER leak and also feeling nauseous but without a headache. Usually if I get nauseous it means that a migraine is coming.
#18 of 25 Old 05-27-2006, 05:58 PM

I am due for a/f tomorrow & I haven't spotted at all like I normally do. I tested 3 times today & it is positive
We are both thrilled!! It is so good to be pregnant!!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#19 of 25 Old 05-28-2006, 12:33 PM

After about a million HPTs, starting at 8dpo, I finally got a positive at 12dpo. I figured all was lost since I had a BFP at 9dpo with my son.
#20 of 25 Old 05-28-2006, 04:56 PM

Well I think I am pregnant. I will tell you my story and you decide...

I haven't had my period back since my ds was born in August of 2004, so every 2-3 months I just POAS just to check. Well this month I was having those same weird sensations in my uterine area. I wasn't sure if it was rearing her ugly head or what. I also have been sick, a case of mastitis and a nasty cold. I remember with ds I was sick like that before the actual morning sickness started too. (not the mastitis but nasty cold-like symptoms)

Three days ago I POAS and jumped in the shower. When I got out I looked at the stick and it looked until I looked close and I saw a faint DH even confirmed it incase I was halucinating! Since then I have POAS 6 times. 3 faint and 3

My problem is I have NO IDEA when we conceived since I have not had but I assume it was early this month or the test would be more than faint???

I also was wondering if you ladies think the store bought, first response type test, is more sensitive than the cheaper $1 stick tests you can buy. I have been using the cheapy tests...

Any ideas???

I also wanted to add that I too have had copious amounts of cm the last couple of days and sore nipples when bfing ds.

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#21 of 25 Old 05-28-2006, 06:17 PM

I would test again with first morning urine & see what that says. If it does come up with 2 lines~! YIPPEE...there are more incidences with a false negative than false positives. You could also go to your care provider & ask for a blood test to confirm.
Baby wishes for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturegirl
Well I think I am pregnant. I will tell you my story and you decide...

I haven't had my period back since my ds was born in August of 2004, so every 2-3 months I just POAS just to check. Well this month I was having those same weird sensations in my uterine area. I wasn't sure if it was rearing her ugly head or what. I also have been sick, a case of mastitis and a nasty cold. I remember with ds I was sick like that before the actual morning sickness started too. (not the mastitis but nasty cold-like symptoms)

Three days ago I POAS and jumped in the shower. When I got out I looked at the stick and it looked until I looked close and I saw a faint DH even confirmed it incase I was halucinating! Since then I have POAS 6 times. 3 faint and 3

My problem is I have NO IDEA when we conceived since I have not had but I assume it was early this month or the test would be more than faint???

I also was wondering if you ladies think the store bought, first response type test, is more sensitive than the cheaper $1 stick tests you can buy. I have been using the cheapy tests...

Any ideas???

I also wanted to add that I too have had copious amounts of cm the last couple of days and sore nipples when bfing ds.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#22 of 25 Old 05-29-2006, 12:18 AM

I have tested now 3 mornings. Each first morning urine. Each time one test negative and one test faint positive. Do you think I should buy a "first response" or similar early detection test? Are they more accurate early on?

(As I write this I wonder why I need to know so soon. It will be obvious soon and I could call my midwife early next week to set up an appt. This has made me go a little crazy! )

I will try to be patient...

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#23 of 25 Old 05-29-2006, 12:22 AM

it wasn't a suprise... 4 days after my RE knocked me up I got our (me and Intended parents) first BFP out of many... 8 days after that I had my first US that showed twins

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#24 of 25 Old 06-07-2006, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I had my suspicions, being late, knew I'd ovulated 5 days after....

So when I went to my previously scheduled doctor appoint, I asked for a test.

I was so shocked when it really came back positive. My doc is so sweet. She stayed and listened while I babbled on for about 3 minutes and hugged me while I cried on her shoulder from the shock.

I have yet to feel more than fleeting symptoms, hints of queasiness, fullness...

"What will you do once you know?"
#25 of 25 Old 06-07-2006, 04:34 AM

I wasn't going to test this time around - just let my body let me know I was pregnant. Well, it did, but I also tested. I didn't think I would be pregnant this month, as I am usually aware when we conceive a baby (well there was one time when I was really sleepy and I might have missed it....). But last thursday (9dpo) I felt really really crampy. As it was dps birthday on monday I figured I would buy a test and do it monday morning just in case. That way if it was positive it would be a nice thing to give him. There were two tests in the pack and I just couldn't resist taking one saturday morning. And there was a faint positive!!! I am amazed - I didn't get a faint until 19dpo with dd!
I didn't manage to keep it a secret from dp until Monday - I am so bad at that, must be very reassuring for him! I spilled the beans Sunday night (I resisted for a whole day and a half tho!!!).

Ruth, mum to B (9), P (8) and T (5)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page