How much B6 per day is safe? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-02-2006, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided to try some vitamin B6 for nausea and almost right away I noticed a pretty big difference! (Wish I'd tried it last time, M/S was way worse then!) I'm just wondering how much I can safely have in one day. Does anyone know?
#2 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 05:28 AM

The normal dosage for nausea is 25mg of B6, but people have reported reduced MS with as little as 10 mg. You probably don't want to go to much above that because there is B6 in your prenatal vitamin as well, and most diets provide B6 in sufficient dosages as well. The RDA for B6 is about 2 grams a day. Taking more than that can possibly cause neurological damage.
#3 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 AM

B6 is water-soluble so whatever your body doesn't use, you pee out. Therefore I think much like vitamin C it is really hard to get enough to cause toxicity.
#4 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 01:19 PM

I take B6 in 50 mg, and I do not take a prenatal at all. I have read that 100 mg is also fine, but I went with 50 mg because I am average size, about 150 lbs. I would dose according to your size and whether or not you take other vits.

You could also buy a bottle of 25 mg, and take two if you wanted more than that. Like, once per morning, once per evening.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#5 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 03:44 PM

500 mg is the overdose level after sometime on it you can do damage. I take 100 mg in the evening and 100mg in the morning. So 200mg. Its saved me I cant belive the difference this time!
#6 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 PM

my midwife has suggested up to 250 mg a day for ms. it's pretty hard for it to be toxic, since it's water soluable.

yonit, do you have a source to quote that it can cause neurological damage?

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#7 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 06:29 PM

Honey,

Of course I have a citation Elson Haas, MD in his book "Staying Healthy with Nutrition" - which is an excellent book BTW for those interested in nutrition - writes:

Some recent reports in the medical literature show that regular usage of over 2,000 mg. per day, which some women especially have been taking, are correlated with episodes of peripheral neuritis. Although the experience of weakness or tingling of arms or legs has been transient and mostly correctable by decreasing the B6 dosage, this does warrant some concern about excessive use of B6, especially long-term use. Since part of the neuropathy problem comes from the liver's inability to convert all of the pyridoxine to active P5P, this concern can be lessened by supplementing some of the B6 as pyridoxal-5-phosphate (as I have done in many of my programs), especially when the dose of vitamin B6 exceeds 200 mg. per day."

So, yes, while B6 is water soluble and toxicity is rare in full grown adults, they do happen - and even less is known about how much would be toxic to a fetus, especially during such a crucial stage in their brain development.

I am certainly not saying that you should not take B6 for MS. Just the opposite, as it can be a very effective treatment. However, in general it is safest to take the minimum amount you need to feel better, rather than the maximum amount.

There have also been studies that show that ginger is just as effective as B6 for MS - without any possible toxicity. Such as this one:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=14649969
#8 of 13 Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM

yikes!! that is SO much B-6!!!!! i wonder what would lead a person to take that much??? it's a huge dose!!

so i should say, B-6 taken in rational does of a few hundred mg are safe.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#9 of 13 Old 07-04-2006, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for all your answers! I'm finding it's helping tremendously with nausea, along with getting enough rest and making sure I don't get too hungry. (Seems like I'm always hungry though... ugh)

I knew it was water soluble and does not build up in the body like A,D,E and K but was just not sure how much I could take in one day. I've got 50 mg tablets but can easily cut them in half, a half dose even seems to work well for me. Thank you!
#10 of 13 Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 PM

I'm not sure what the recommended dosage was but my dh mentioned to me that B6 has been associated with causing nightmares. Don't know if this is truly true but thought I would pass it along.
#11 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growinfaith
I'm not sure what the recommended dosage was but my dh mentioned to me that B6 has been associated with causing nightmares. Don't know if this is truly true but thought I would pass it along.
This really gives me pause. I was going to post that maybe I am not taking enough (I am taking 50mg per day), but maybe that even is too much for me. My nightmares have been HORRENDOUS. However, I am a nightmare-y kind of person. I almost never go a night without dreams, pregnant or not.

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#12 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonit
There have also been studies that show that ginger is just as effective as B6 for MS - without any possible toxicity. Such as this one:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q..._uids=14649969
i believe that. ginger seems to be the ONLY thing that eases the nauseau for me.
#13 of 13 Old 07-06-2006, 01:17 PM

It's funny how everyone's experience is different. With my first ginger made me :Puke

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page