Feb 2007 weekly chat week of July 31-Aug 6 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sorry I spaced on the new weekly thread. I can't believe I'm 11 weeks already!

My nausea is slowly starting to get better, but I have less energy when I was hoping for more.

Hope you all have a great week!

Links to our previous weekly chat threads:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=488610
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=485517
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=482154
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=478740
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=474413
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm glad your nausea is improving!! I'm 13 weeks now, and don't really have any nausea anymore, but I'm still so stinkin tired and I have a cold, and I've been having headaches too. Plus my 20 month old sleeps horribly. I just can't see how I will ever have any energy if he doesn't start sleeping better!

We're still nursing though, he asks to nurse a few times a day, and always nurses to sleep/naps. I doubt I have much milk anymore and the little I do get out is salty, but he doesn't seem to care. I just have to be prepared to get him a drink or something to eat if he's nursing for those reasons. I just hope we can make it through til I get colostrum, which was fairly early last time, by 24 weeks at least.

I never had any energy when I was pg with DS so I'm prepared to not have any this time either... but so far this pg has been so different so I've got a little hope...
#3 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:10 PM

I thought my nausea was getting better until tonight. I feel pretty bad right now. I guess that is what I get for cleaning out the fridge for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks. Ewww!! I'm still tired too. I'm not sure if its the pregnancy or having a 2 year old with a cold. She hasn't slept well in a long time. DreamsInDigital, I'm glad your nausea is getting better. Sorry to hear about your headaches, timneh_mom. It must be frustrating to trade one symptom for another. I hope it doesn't last this time.
#4 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:12 PM

I had an ultrasound today and the babies are doing great! They share a placenta but are in separate sacs (monochorionic diamniotic twins) which is the only type of twins that has TTTS risk, from what i was told. also, my placenta is slightly over my cervix, but we expect it will move up as my uterus grows- it explains the spotting i had earlier on around 6w, though!

: nausea is getting a tad better. I have been able to eat more which is vital to keeping these babies healthy and where they belong! I feel a lot better and am starting to get a bit of a belly. My daughter swears there are duckies in my belly, LOL!

I hope everyone else is doing fabulously!

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#5 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:21 PM

Amy, cleaning out the fridge is SO nasty... I'd rather change 100 poopy diapers than do that!! Even the cat box (which I'm not doing now anyway) is more appealing to me than the fridge! Yuk!

Melissa, I'm glad your babies are doing so well! That's excellent news! What's TTTS? Is that twin to twin transfusion, or something else? That's so funny about the ducks!

I forgot to mention that today my son brought me a few toys to have nursies! One was this bear puppet, OK that makes sense. Bears get nursies. But, then he brought me a lego car, and then a snack cup! LOL I had to tell him that they don't have mouths so they can't! But he was very persistant!
#6 of 30 Old 08-02-2006, 11:31 PM

My nausea seems to be getting SLIGHTLY better. I still have it 24/7 (literally) but it seems to be less intense. I am able to do stuff more without worrying that I will feel so horrible. I want it to go away completely though, that would be great!

I'm still more tired than usual. How is everyone with energy levels? Before I was pregnant, I felt great
#7 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 01:05 AM

I think my nausea is subsiding at least some. Still no energy...it takes all I have to do the smallest things! Keeping the house clean and entertaining the kids and making meals is sooooo hard right now! Luckily my kids are at ages where they are usually easily entertained or can keep themselves occupied.

My 2y/o isn't nursing as frequently the last few days. Not sure if it's bc of my milk or just bc he's too busy being a big boy with his big sisters :: I know there's still milk bc his most favorite new trick is to take a drink of nummies or whatever is in his cup and spit it out! We also brought his toddler bed (which had just been in his room for show) in our room and put it right next to my side of the bed. So now he still nurses to sleep and I put him in their when I go to bed and he ends up with me in the wee am hours. It's bittersweet really. He was just so squirmy while in bed with dh and I and none of us got enough sleep.

I'm not really showing...just looking chubby. It's just leftover tummy from my other babies (and ALL the weight I gained with each of them) that I can't hide anymore. I think I'll consider it a baby bump when it firms up a bit more. LOL We've had a heat warning since Monday and it ends tomorrow night and it's supposed to cool down for the weekend. I can't wait!!! Hope you all are staying cool!

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

#8 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh_mom
Melissa, I'm glad your babies are doing so well! That's excellent news! What's TTTS? Is that twin to twin transfusion, or something else? That's so funny about the ducks!
Yep, Twin to Twin. I should have been more clear, placenta brain

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#9 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 AM

Sorry to hear so many of us are still feeling yucky. My energy levels have picked up, which is great as we leave for the states on Saturday!!!! I already realized I forgot stuff, but OH WELL!! DD does not quite *get* what is going to happen. Had another prenatal visit today, all is well and I got another OK for the journey. It will be LONG, we are hours from the airport so we go down the day before. Well, I decided to meet one of my friends, she is also pg, but now I realize it will make the trip so much longer... but I am so looking forward to seeing her bump.

I ordered the Fit Mama workout DVD to do in the states, mom has a/c so should be cool enough to exercise, if cramped. Too much stuff in that house!!

must get productive during nap time as there is still a long list of things to do before I leave.
I prob. won`t check the boards much for the next 6 weeks, internet connection is slow at my moms and really not much time. Which is strange as with other adults around and not being in charge of the house I should have more time but always have less...
#10 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 02:48 AM

I am feeling sooo much better. Nausea is gone though I still am tired. I am already having issues with SPD which I also had with dd to the point that I could not walk more than a few steps. I am going to really work on that this time though and maybe go see a chiro. I still think I am going to love 2nd tri!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#11 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 08:05 AM

So glad that everyone is mostly feeling better. I hit 12 weeks yesterday and I am mostly feeling better as well. Not the constant nausuea that I used to have, just an occassional wave of it after certain triggers. But the exhaustion is still all encompassing, so I can't wait for that to go away. But my first prenatal appointment is today so that should be fun. My doula partner is also my midwife (she was a doula first and then because a homebirth midwife, but still attends hospital births as a doula). So in some ways these visits are sort of superfluous, but we decided to schedule some time every month to focus on my pregnancy. It should be fun - except that I have some business things I need to discuss with her as well, so I am already breaking that plan. LOL

Have a great trip, Kath!! See you when you get back!

Liz - how cute about your son and his toys!

Well we had severe thunderstorms last night so hopefully the heat has broken today.
#12 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 12:22 PM

Liz, that is adorable about your son! I think my son will be fascinated by the baby nursing as he is rather fascinated by my breasts! I guess some part of him remembers his year long love affair with them. (I had to stop at a year due to my dangerously high blood pressure) I can't wait to have a nursling again!

Hope the heat wave breaks for everyone soon! Here in the west it has been much better this week and on our camping trip this weekend it was downright chilly during the nighttime. Oh and one night while we were sleeping, DH and I were awoken by a bear rifling through our campsite! I was terrified it was going to come into the tent and eat my kids! Luckily it was one of those bears that comes down to the campgrounds all the time to scavenge for people food, not people LOL! Camping was pretty fun and I was proud of myself for making it all weekend without napping. I also got lots of good walking in.

I hit 10 weeks tomorrow and am starting to feel a little better. I'm trying not to get too nervous about this, I was hoping my symptoms would linger until my next appointment which isn't until Sept! I just have to let go and trust my body, I guess.
#13 of 30 Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter

I saw my midwife and discussed UC with her. I think I may just end up not seeing her at all. I don't really want to do prenatals and I don't really want her to participate in the birth. And yet I want to see her anyway. Weird. Anyway, she said I'm a perfect candidate for a UC and she fully supports whatever decision I make.
#14 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 07:29 PM

just had to share:

today was my son's fourth birthday party. two of his friends were talking, discussing a worm. the one says to the other:

"i'm not afraid of worms! i just don't like the way they taste!"

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#15 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 08:51 PM

DreamsInDigital - I say see your midwife if you want to. Besides, wouldn't it be better to deliver a child with a friend to encourage you? Even if she doesn't act as a midwife, a shoulder to lean on is always a good thing!

I never got nauseous with this pg : like I did with DD. Things are going really well. I'm 11wks3d now, and my boobs are getting ridiculously sore and swollen just like they did with DD. I never got to nurse DD, but now every time she is upset or hungry and is anywhere near my chest, she dive bombs for my boob. Who knows, I may end up tandem nursing after all if she keeps this up for another 6 months!

I have a question...if you're nursing through pg, and your milk production slows and then starts back at colostrum, and your older child is still nursing, will there be colostrum left for the newborn? Or will your older child induce milk production?

The heat is breaking here as well (I HOPE!). We actually turned our AC off last night and put a fan in the window. I LOVE having a fan in the window at night. Something about it is so much more comforting than AC air.

Ugh. I got a prenatal yoga DVD from netflix (Rocky's prenatal yoga) and they sent Volume 2 before Volume 1 (only a day before, not a problem) so I watched the beginning of it. They were talking about preparing for labor, and were going to be practicing breathing techniques and all that. The part that irked me is that the first thing they did was have the pg lady and her DH hold cubes of ice in their hands for one full minute to simulate what contractions feel like. After 15 seconds, the yogi said, "If this is too intense for you, you are probably a very good candidate for an epidural." The part of this that irks me is that there are going to be first time mamas out there who will see that and automatically think that they're not strong enough to go natural, or even attempt it. Holding an ice cube in your hand is NOTHING like labor! Totally different part of the body, different muscles, all of it. Besides, there's no positive end result to holding ice cubes like there is to being in labor. One you get clammy hands, and the other, you get a beautiful baby. Am I being ridiculous about this? Is it just my pg mind overreacting? Blech.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#16 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 10:07 PM

Sarah - to answer your question about colostrum... there will be plenty for the newborn! You will keep making it until after you deliver your placenta, and that will cause the hormone shift necessary for your milk to come back in. You will have colostrum for the first few days after birth. You will just keep making more until that happens. Any colostrum that your nursling gets will be replaced by more colostrum. Hope that makes sense!

I'm glad your DD is interested in your nursies... maybe she'll keep it up for you! Is that something you would like?

Yeah that ice cube thingy was obviously written by someone who has never given birth!! Ugh!
#17 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

My midwife called me on Friday and said after second thought, she didn't feel that she could be the hands-off midwife I was asking for. So we decided together that a UC was the way for us.
So I'm officially UCing!
#18 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 10:55 PM

Good for you, Lydia!! Best of luck! How exciting! My DH would sh*t a brick if I even breathed the idea of a UC. He's worried enough about me wanting to go to a birth center instead of a hospital. Then again, after PTL at 28wks resulting in a 30wk baby, I can understand his reservations.

Liz, I absolutely want to nurse DD. I was so upset when my milk dried up before she was able to latch. Her mouth stayed way too tiny to even think about latching (I have large, flat nipples) until about a week after her due date, and by then I'd been dried up for close to three weeks. I hope we can get the hang of it! I still feel like I failed her. 10wks of bm just isn't enough, IMO! Especially considering how teeny she was at birth. And the colostrum thing does make sense. I didn't realize it was the delivery of the placenta that caused the hormonal shift. I thought it was more of a physiological reaction to having a nursing baby, and producing what that baby needs to survive kind of thing. Very good to know!

I was talking to some mamas at LLL on Thursday who said that their toddlers nursed during their pregnancies, and it was so weird to see their 3 year old kids with the mustardy yellow colostrum poopies. Maybe if we can get nursing, DD will be able to poop! She only goes once every two days now, which worries me a bit. Oh well!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#19 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 11:23 PM

Sarah, don't be so hard on yourself about your milk! You gave her 10 weeks, that is WAY more than many babies get... and it really takes a lot of dedication to EP. I've known women who did it, and it was very difficult. But, I can understand feeling bad... I still feel bad about my son, even though he's almost 21 months... he would still be getting lots of nursies if I hadn't gotten pregnant. But, he still keeps going even though I don't have much now.

I would say, if she's interested in nursing on you, even for comfort (which is a big part of it too IMO!!), that would be just so wonderful!! My aunt adopted a baby and it happened so fast that she didn't have the time to try to lactate for her... but she would still let her nurse on her breast for comfort!

Yep, some toddlers will get diarrhea from the colostrum, then get mustardy BF poops once the baby is born... and some toddlers even get rolls on them again from all that good milk!! I'm glad to hear you are finding support at LLL now too, I go regularly here and help out when I can, and I've found them to be wonderful
#20 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'm looking forward to tandemning DS3 and the new baby. Nothing drains an engorged postpartum breast like a thirsty toddler
#21 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 12:29 AM

Lydia, congrats on being cleared to UC.

Sarah, I agree that 10 weeks is much more than many babes get and you shouldn't feel guilty at all. Considering how young your dd will be when this one is born I think trying to tandem would be great. I have a friend who had kids 14 months apart and she was excited to be able to nurse her oldest for another year and half after having to wean early. Don't worry about having an every other day pooper. Dd has been like that since she was only a few months old.

Well my dh just left for 2 weeks to take a class in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I had to get up at 4:00 AM to get him to the airport. Oy!! I was feeling lonely already tonight until I came here.

Honeybeedreams, happy birthday to your son!! Tell him worms don't taste bad if you mix them into chocolate chip cookies.
#22 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 01:54 AM

Ughhh, I just got back from a huge, rich, but delicious dinner and my tummy hurts! My aunt who lives 2 1/2 hours away made a last minute visit up here with some family friends and we all went out to the restaraunt my dh is the chef at. It was nice to get out and away from the almost 2 year old for a bit, my friend and her daughter watched him and he just loves going there. It made my night all the better to know he was having fun and in such loving hands, and getting a little break himself...from his tired grumpy pg mommy! Last minute visits are scary for me, my house was a complete disaster so I had to spend most of my afternoon cleaning like a madwoman! I just hope dh doesn't get any ideas when he sees how good the house can look, lol!

Hope everyone had a great weekend!
#23 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Here is my funny maternity underwear story. It is pretty embarrassing, but hey, if you can't laugh at yourself what is the point!

A few weeks ago, I went up into my attic to see what I could find for maternity clothes and start to decide what I would need this time around. I found a whole bunch of materniy underwear from last pregnancy, so brought them down and decided I was all set there.

So, a few days ago I decided that I wanted some big comfy underwear and put on a pair of the maternity underwear. They seemed a bit big, but not that bad and I went about my day. I was out and about most of the day and they kept falling down! I was wearing a skirt, with no stockings and every time I would walk more than a few feet they would fall down to my knees! Fortunately I was able to catch them with my knees before they were seen, but I must have looked pretty silly pulling up my underwear under my skirt in public!

Finally I slipped into a ladies room and took them off and threw them away. I went commando the rest of the day

I tried another pair the next day - fortunately I was home and had a similar problem. I did try them all on, but the elastic waistband is completely shot on all of them after going around my huge belly last time. So I guess I need some new undies.

Just thought I would give everyone a little laugh!
#24 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM

Yonit!! LOL That's just so funny! I'd rather go commando too, than have drawers hanging down to my knees!! I need to get more undies too... I am not big enough for my really comfy HUGE drawers, but even my "fat" undies are starting to get to be a little too snug. I'll probably just get new ones that are a size larger than what I'm wearing now... I'm a "5 pack of white Froot of the Loom" kind of girl so that's what they'll be... LOL
#25 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 03:57 PM

I am really hoping that dd will want to nurse again once the baby is here. I feel awful about weaning, although she does seem content holding boobies for now, but she is only 17 months...I really wanted her to get more. We'll see what happens.

Yonit- that is such a funny story, I will have to carefully check my mat underwear when I pull it out!

I just got back from my appt with MW, in the group I think there are 4 of them. Thankfully I really liked the one I saw today, the one I saw last time was not as friendly. So now it is 2/3 that I like a lot. The heartbeat was good, dd really liked hearing it, she started giggling. I lost 1 lb I wasn't expecting that, I gained like crazy when I was pg with dd. The midwife was fine about it, but said that she hoped that by next time I will have gained it back. I am almost 15 weeks, I think with dd I had already gained 10 lbs, but this time I am hoping for some control.

A busy week starts for me tomorrow, hope you all have a great week!
#26 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 05:17 PM

kate! i know how you feel. and with it being breastfeeding week and all as well. 17 months is great, and if you're interested in tandem feeding, you can always give it a go. 15 weeks! that went so fast. i wouldn't worry about the weight gain thing. i imagine ryleigh has you running around a lot more this go round than when you were expecting her.

yonit, that's a great story! i have mat capris on now and they tend to get quite droopy when i'm out and about. but i look huge. my latest fear, since i think i've been feeling bubs, is that there are two in there.

i feel blech. after i eat, before i eat, i can't determine when it will strike. it's unpleasant and i'm looking forward to the second trimester.

right, bed! have a good week everyone.
#27 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 08:53 PM

Just catching up a bit. I was out of town for several days and missed my MDC fix.
Everything has been going so well except my sensitive tummy. Just airy gas and well, I imagine I know what a colicky baby feels like. Owie. I've had it the whole pregnancy so far and it just seems to get more pervasive. I recently felt a hormone shift and it didn't go away, so I might have to deal with it the whole time. Ugh.

You know that thing where the partners take on the pregnant woman's symptoms? Well, today DH blew my mind by doing a load of laundry, cleaning out the dishwasher, cleaning all the catpans and then asking me to make a list for groceries and then he got them-all without me saying a thing.
Sounds like he's acting like a woman to me!
#28 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 09:58 PM

Dd and I just went to the grocery store where she did the cutest thing. I was standing next to the cart and she started patting my belly. This is one of her favorite past times lately; she pats my belly and says, "baby belly". Anyway, then she gives me two quick kisses on my belly. Then she pats my breast and says, "baby milk". We talk about how the baby is going to share milk with her. It made my heart melt.
#29 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear&babybear
Dd and I just went to the grocery store where she did the cutest thing. I was standing next to the cart and she started patting my belly. This is one of her favorite past times lately; she pats my belly and says, "baby belly". Anyway, then she gives me two quick kisses on my belly. Then she pats my breast and says, "baby milk". We talk about how the baby is going to share milk with her. It made my heart melt.
I love it!
#30 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM

Amy, that's so cute! And Yonit, that's a hilarious story! I never wore mat underwear with DD. By 30wks, I had JUST started to show, so I didn't really need 'em. Then again, the last 2 wks I was in the hospital and wasn't allowed to wear underwear anyway (ew) so that probably helped.

So I keep having these nightmares that I'll deliver incredibly early...like 23-25 wks. I am SO afraid of that happening. The closest NICU capable of handling babies under 32wks is 90 miles away. I can't spend all that time away from my husband again, like I had to when DD was born. Plus, what would I do with DD?

I'm so very scared. I got pregnant SO soon after DD (4wks pp for those who don't remember) and I'm friggin terrified that my body will just freak out and kick this baby out hella early too. :

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page