Would you object a c/s in a hospital where they don't allow vbac? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-25-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking for a practitioner in my area who supports vbac and the problem seems to be with the hospital. While I found a supportive OB, she says that her partner isn't as supportive so she couldn't really guarantee me anything.

I am not fretting over this birth like I did my other one and I am strongly considdering just seeing the nurse-midwife like I am scheduled to, see my OB once like my appointment schedule suggests, and when I go into labor, take a doula with me and protest the c/s unless necessary.

The only thing I am afraid of is how sensetive I am to knowing people are upset with me. When I wanted a vbac last time, my doc wasn't very happy. She is a great person who wished the hospital allowed vbacs but since it doesn't, she goes along with it.

I cannot imagine giving birth with a doctor who does not support what I am doing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM

can you birth outside of the hospital?
Old 09-25-2006, 08:28 PM

I would probably look for another place to birth in...either at home, a center or even a hotel that was *close* to the hospital. If your labor isn't going well you could always transfer.

Knowing that the hospital doesn't allow a VBAC makes me uncomfortable. It automatically tells me that you are going to have a c-birth-no matter what. They (the hospital) will be hard to fight if they know you have had a previous c-birth.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

Old 09-25-2006, 08:39 PM

OK, this is my advice to any pregnant women - if your care provider is not on board with your decisions, than you either need to decide to compromise your position or change your provider. You will NOT convince your provider that you are right. He will not want to be outside his comfort zone, and he will find a reason near the end to do things the way he wanted to do them originally. It is a fact of life for anyone - and honestly do you want your providers to be outside their comfort zone??? You really probably don't.

I think this is the biggest reason that women end up unhappy about their birth choices. They assume that their doctor is just going to do what they want, or they can convince him that they are right... And when they can't they end up very unhappy at the end.

So, if your doctor is not on board- completely 100% on board, along with ALL of his possible back-up partners - than you need to decide which is more important, your VBAC or your Doctor (there is no right or wrong answer here only you can decide that question). If your doctor is on board, and is willing to go to bat for you with the hospital, than it may be worth a shot. I have had one particular client that was able to get a hospital to allow her to VBAC - but her OB went to the hospital administration and really went to bat on why she was a good VBAC candidate They put a number of restrictions on her VBAC but she was allowed to try, and with her supportive care givers she was successful. But if her doctors had not been supportive it never would have happened.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:53 PM

Since the hospital is looking out only for its own interests with no regard as to how it will effect you (long recovery time, complications due to c/s, complications down the road due to multiple abdominal surgeries, parenting small children during mandatory follow up bedrest), then you need to do the same. As a patient you have every right to refuse surgery or any other unwanted/ unnecessary procedure. Them being "mad at you" is out of line and unproffessional. If you must birth in a hospital, which I would sincerely advise against especially in this case, then you should be resolute about your decision and bring with you an army of adamant if not militant supporters including doula, midwife, partner, mother, sister, neighbor, whoever you can get to come who will stand up for you. That said, I believe that your decision to birth at this hospital will almost assuredly result in a surgical delivery, and if it is really your desire to avoid that, you should avoid that hospital. Depending upon where you live, homebirth may be legal or not, but either way, with some effort, you should be able to find a care provider who can do that for you. Also, if homebirth is not right for you, then consider traveling to another hospital or birth center. If you absolutely must stay put, find a knowledgable support team, preferably someone who can check your dialation and recognize complications, and go into the hospital ready to push if not pushing already. Above all, remember that no one can force you to do anything, doctors do not know everything, and do all your own research.

Mom of three spunktastic kiddos, supported by super-partner while dabbling in midwifery and organic farming. Biting off more than I can chew since '03.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM

For more research and infornation on this issue, I suggest contacting ICAN (International Cesarean Awareness Network). They have a website (www.ican-online.org) and a Yahoo group. The Yahoo group can be found through their website or searching in Yahoo groups for ICAN. If you choose to stay with this practice and hospital, you will need some major guns (information) to back you up. ICAN can give you the research, information and guidance you need.

Also, I totally second everyone who said "find a practitioner who can assist you in the birth you want". I know this is difficult in some states due to current malpractice laws, etc but it is definitely worth trying.

Good luck!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 AM

so hospitals have a strict no VBAC policy because their insurance won't cover if something happens. the local hospital in my area is one of those. i think it's a rediculous way to scam people out of money which is why i'm traveling an hour away to not have to use them. i hope you can find a VBAC friendly care provider. perhaps consider an HBAC?

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
Old 09-26-2006, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all, good info!

I live in Taos, NM which is about 3 hours from albuquerque and 2 to Santa Fe where they are really vbac unfriendly. I went to Espanola yesterday because my friend/midwife told me they are really supportive of vbacs. The doc was a bit worried since I've had two.

The midwife is really supportive but NM law states that homebirth after 2 c/s is not allowed.

I would love a homebirth and am hoping to manifest a situation where I can call my midwife friend and have her stay with me through labor at home. If things look good, then perhaps just staying there and going with it, if not, then I could go to the hospital. I have no idea what my labor patterns are or what my body might do. I do know that my mother had both of her kids in about 30 minutes.

I also know a great MD from Boulder who is currently working as an Ayurvedic practitioner. She might be willing to come down and stay through the birth.

Most of all I am trying to not get worked up and politcal about this because I don't want to spend my pregnancy feeling as though I am fighting a system that doesn't work.

Did I mention that my first c/s scar on the uterus healed so well that it was completely undetectable to my doctor when she did my second one? I am really trusting that this will all work out and am hoping that when we all start having our babies that my story will be of a great vaginal birth.

I will probably post when I am in labor and ask for prayers as I will be calling everyone I know asking for prayers.

User Tag List