Preterm labor...again :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had preterm labor with my first son at 24 weeks. Thankfully, it was stopped and I carried near to term with him...but it happened again with this baby over the weekend.

It was all brought on due to stress. : I started having a panic attack and then the contractions came - they were 5-7 minutes apart by the time we made it to the hospital. Because I was having trouble breathing, they had to do a lot of tests, including an ABG (arterial blood gas - OWWWWIIEEE!!!)

They sent me up to L&D for monitoring and fluids and to wait on my test results. Turns out that my D-Dimer test came back POSITIVE. If I wasn't already freaking out, NOW I really was! The test determines the probability of you having a pulminary embolism, or a blood clot in your lungs. Normal is under 400 and mine was 1650. EEK!! They then told me that I would have to have a contrast CT scan, but that they couldn't even tell me the risks to the baby. I was SO upset - I told them that I had to know the risks in order to make the decision. They went back and forth and had me confused as heck with one team saying one thing and another something else.

Finally I just refused it. I knew that my body was in panic attack mode and that was what was causing me to not be able to catch my breath. My O2 levels were 99 and 100 percent. (I was pre-med in college and knew that to have PE your pulse-ox levels were usually in the 80s and dropped from there. Also, the shortness of breath with PE never lets up and before they scared me with the test results, I was doing a lot better.)

My OB finally came in (it was the middle of the night) and we talked. He told me that as a doctor, he had to tell me that I needed the test, but that as a friend, he wouldn't have it done either. He didn't think I had PE at all...he said the D-Dimer test has a high false positive rate as well.)

Once I stopped hyperventilating and the panic attack was over, things settled down with the contractions. They died down as the night went on and eventually came to a stop after FOUR bags of fluids - I am swollen all over today!!

I had to stay in the hospital until yesterday evening. They monitored me and the baby the whole time - both at rest and up moving around to make sure the contractions stayed at bay. The had me on the pulse-ox monitor and watched to make sure it didn't dip. It never went below 96%, so they were able to totally rule out the PE. WHEW!!

As much as I just wanted this pregnancy to go by slowly so that I could enjoy every minute, I really need February to come quickly now so that I can get this little boy here safe and sound!!

Thanks for letting me vent, mamas!
#2 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 12:41 PM

Big hugs to you, Mama! It sounds so stressful and medical. How hard it must be to go through that.
I have been reading up on pre-term labor a lot myself lately with the new news of my twins and it freaks me out that I'm an hour away from a hospital. I'm like, hello...there was a reason I preferred homebirth.

Good luck to you and no more stressing yourself out!
#3 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 01:02 PM

I am glad that you are okay now, no PE, and labor has stopped. Sounds so scary though. Sending lots of hugs.
#4 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Big hug to you mama. I will affirm a full term pregnancy for you!

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#5 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 PM

That sounds so scary! I'm glad you and your babe are okay.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#6 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM

With the holidays coming up things should go a lot faster, 'cause you'll hopefully be having so much fun.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#7 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Oh my gosh mama! I'm so sorry!
#8 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 02:53 PM

Oh no! I am glad everyone is okay!
#9 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 03:12 PM

Hang in there, mama, and here's hopes you keep that baby cooking!

I'm terrified I'll go in to PTL any day now, given my history (PTL with DD3 at 27w6d, then delivered at 30w2d) and I REALLY can't deal with the NICU again!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#10 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 03:51 PM

i'm so glad you and your little one are ok!
#11 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM

How scary! Glad the news was good though!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#12 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 07:01 PM

Wow, what a scary time... I'm an RN and have to agree with your and your doc's thoughts on possible PE. The blood test you mentioned wasn't done back when I was working in the hospital, but there are many other symptoms, not just SOB. I hope you don't have another episode!
#13 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aywilkes View Post
Big hug to you mama. I will affirm a full term pregnancy for you!
Hope you are feeling better at home today.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#14 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 07:22 PM

I'm glad you are both okay!! I hope you can still enjoy the pregnancy while you wait for Feb. to hurry up and get here. I, also, hope that you are able to stay stress free!!
#15 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 09:27 PM

SOOO scary! Glad you two are okay now. Try to remember to relax and breath, mama!! Hugs to you.

*Meag* SAHM to two girls 6 & 3 and our new little boy!! namaste.gif
#16 of 20 Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 PM

Sorry, not in you DDC, but I saw this and wanted to post my support as a BTDT, PTL mama.

, how scary mama! Did they by any chance give you the fetal fibronectin test? I'm really hoping for you that you don't have any more PTL issues and that baby keeps cooking until Feb. :
#17 of 20 Old 10-31-2006, 12:39 AM

i'm glad you and your little one are ok. i have panic attacks too and i do notice an increase of contrax during them.

anne, mama to Isaak (6.13.05) Joe (2.24.07) and Eli (8.17.09) wifey to J since 2002 petparent to our retired racer "Under Rated" aka Jango.  help put an end to dog racing! 
#18 of 20 Old 10-31-2006, 06:56 PM

wow, sounds like you had a night. Hugs and I don't blame you for not doing the test, I wouldn't have done it either, not knowing the risks to the baby. Hugs!
#19 of 20 Old 11-01-2006, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support, mamas! I'm trying to not stress out as much...but it is so hard right now. Life is just not going our way. Living out of a motel is NOT fun and we haven't even gotten a rough estimate on when we'll be able to move back into our apartment. I pretty much stay overwhelmed, but I'm trying...

I think I was probably not the easiest person to get along with at the hospital...I had to really put up a fight to not have the test done. I worried about being made to sign out AMA, and that my OB would dump me as his patient, but after we spoke, it made me feel more at ease. I know they did put that I refused the test against medical advice, but I don't think I was listed as me leaving AMA. I know I shouldn't even care, but I still have this problem with worrying too much over what other people think.
#20 of 20 Old 11-02-2006, 10:01 AM

Oh dear! That sounds very scary!! Hang in there, mama!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page