I had preterm labor with my first son at 24 weeks. Thankfully, it was stopped and I carried near to term with him...but it happened again with this baby over the weekend.
It was all brought on due to stress.
: I started having a panic attack and then the contractions came - they were 5-7 minutes apart by the time we made it to the hospital. Because I was having trouble breathing, they had to do a lot of tests, including an ABG (arterial blood gas - OWWWWIIEEE!!!)
They sent me up to L&D for monitoring and fluids and to wait on my test results. Turns out that my D-Dimer test came back POSITIVE. If I wasn't already freaking out, NOW I really was! The test determines the probability of you having a pulminary embolism, or a blood clot in your lungs. Normal is under 400 and mine was 1650. EEK!! They then told me that I would have to have a contrast CT scan, but that they couldn't even tell me the risks to the baby. I was SO upset - I told them that I had to know the risks in order to make the decision. They went back and forth and had me confused as heck with one team saying one thing and another something else.
Finally I just refused it. I knew that my body was in panic attack mode and that was what was causing me to not be able to catch my breath. My O2 levels were 99 and 100 percent. (I was pre-med in college and knew that to have PE your pulse-ox levels were usually in the 80s and dropped from there. Also, the shortness of breath with PE never lets up and before they scared me with the test results, I was doing a lot better.)
My OB finally came in (it was the middle of the night) and we talked. He told me that as a doctor, he had to tell me that I needed the test, but that as a friend, he wouldn't have it done either. He didn't think I had PE at all...he said the D-Dimer test has a high false positive rate as well.)
Once I stopped hyperventilating and the panic attack was over, things settled down with the contractions. They died down as the night went on and eventually came to a stop after FOUR bags of fluids - I am swollen all over today!!
I had to stay in the hospital until yesterday evening. They monitored me and the baby the whole time - both at rest and up moving around to make sure the contractions stayed at bay. The had me on the pulse-ox monitor and watched to make sure it didn't dip. It never went below 96%, so they were able to totally rule out the PE. WHEW!!
As much as I just wanted this pregnancy to go by slowly so that I could enjoy every minute, I really need February to come quickly now so that I can get this little boy here safe and sound!!
Thanks for letting me vent, mamas!