Welbutrin and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-08-2006, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a prenatal app't yesterday and my doctor prescribed Welbutrin for me. I'm not one to take meds and definitely not during pregnancy, but I broke down and told him that I was about to have a nervous breakdown. I've felt really depressed for a couple of months now...and cried just about this entire month. I know the stress is not good for the baby, but in spite of it all, I'm worried about taking something too...I KNOW I need help here...and I want to do what is best for the baby...but I just don't know which way to go.

My blood pressure is up and my weight is down. They are worried about me not gaining enough weight. At my app't they told me I'd only gained 4.5 lbs and I'm 27 weeks. I guess it is due to stress because my eating habits have changed somewhat over the course of the past several weeks as things have gotten worse.

Are the meds a good idea or should I try and find an alternative? Welbutrin is a class B drug - so classed in there with Tylenol, but I'm still leary.

Has anyone BTDT or have any words of advice on how to best deal with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 10:52 AM

Most of the alternative choices are class C, so you're probably best off with the wellbutrin.

I know that the idea of taking drugs sucks, but if you are calmer, happier, coping from day to day in a healthy way, you will have a much healthier and happier pregnancy, birth, and baby.

For me, the choice would be easy, if using a prescribed med meant overall better quality of life for me/baby, I'd swallow the pill.

In the meantime, can you do other things to support yourself (yoga, meditation, prayer, relaxation, exercise, massage, reading, whatever works?)

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM

Also, I have Hale's book here if you'd like me to look up the exact reference and givce you the info.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:30 PM

dr. hale doesn't seem to recommend it for pregnancy or nursing moms, despite it's B rating.

there are so many other things you can do for stress, depression and anxiety.

walking in the woods
yoga
meditation
conscious breathing
chanting or sacred singing
prayer (of whatever kind makes sense to you)
craft and art projects, creating something with your hands
dietary changes
flower essences
fish oil
st. john's wort
massage
a vacation on the beach
theraputic touch
crystal healing
dances of universal peace

here are some great books that might help too...

The Instinct to Heal: Curing Stress, Anxiety, and Depression Without Drugs and Without Talk Therapy by David Servan-Schreiber

Acupressure for Emotional Healing: A Self-Care Guide for Trauma, Stress, & Common Emotional Imbalances by Michael Reed Phd Gach, Beth Ann Dipl, Abt Henning

Conscious Breathing: Breathwork for Health, Stress Release, and Personal Mastery by Gay Hendricks

why not try some of these in a wholehearted way for the next 6 weeks and see if they make a difference.

you might want to see if there is a holistic practitioner near you who can help.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 11-08-2006, 04:33 PM

First of all, to you and I'm sorry you're feeling so down and overwhelmed right now. I was on an antidepressant when I found out I was pregnant and I did choose to wean myself off of it with good results. However my depression was due to my heartbreaking mc in March. I wanted to stay on it while I dealt with the grief and guilt of being pg again but I just didn't like the feeling of taking meds while pg. That said, I do still take my bp med but am on the lowest possible therapeutic dose with good numbers so far. I would definitely try other things before taking the meds, exercise does wonders for me but I know you have ptl issues so I don't know how much of that you can do. I wish I had a better answer for you, think you have to trust your gut/motherly instinct. It seems you don't want to take the meds and there is probably a reason for that.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 PM

I've been on Lexapro before and now during my pregnancy. I'm not thrilled about it but going off is not an option. This is saving my life!

Definitely talk with a practioner (like a psychiatrist) who has a lot of dealing with pregnancy and depression medication. They will have seen so many mamas and their babies and how they did on medication. They will also be up to date on all the latest research.

It's great to try the holistic remedies mentioned by the previous posters, but please don't feel guilty or beat yourself for needing the medication. I seriously believe mine is keeping me alive. It is definitely helping me be a better mother to my unborn baby and helping me enjoy my pregnancy.

There are risks with everything and you just have to weigh the pros and cons of medicating vs. not medicating and decide what's right for you. For me, I knew the small risks of the meds definitely outweighed how I felt and what I would be putting the baby through in utero if I was crying, depressed and anxious all the time.

Feel better, mama. Good luck- PM me if you want.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:04 PM

and don't feel hesitant about trying some alternatives before trying drugs, esp. if you haven't been on anti-depressants before pregnancy.

pregnancy related anxiety and depression usually respond very well to alternative methods.

and you only have 3 more months to go mama until you're smelling that sweet baby head smell!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

Old 11-09-2006, 02:14 AM

I agree - meds have been a lifesaver for many moms - pregnant, nursing or otherwise! It is totally up to you, of course, to decide whether to take them, but if you do take them, keep in mind that it doesn't have to be a forever thing either. Some people take them for relatively short periods, they kind of help your brain get back on track and then you don't need them anymore. A few years ago (before I was ever pregnant), I took an antidepressant for a while. I had seriously exhausted other alternatives and it really helped - I weaned off it once I no longer needed it. But please, don't feel guilty for taking them - your baby needs a healthy mama!
Old 11-09-2006, 02:44 AM

Definitely talk with a psychiatrist who is used with pregnant depressive woman. I am taht with their experience they will guide you towards the right decision.
My sister was on lexapro while a friend was on topamax and indeed they did complete their pregnacy sucessfully.

even if the holistic treatment sond really secure and attractive, you shoud chose the way with the most security and highest probability.

User Tag List