Herbal GBS+ Treatment - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-14-2006, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got this from my midwives today and thought I might share it with everyone. You are suppost to start this treatment at 32 weeks and should be GBS- when checked at 35 weeks. This is not gauranteed, but I'm told it can be really helpful.

Take these orally everyday:

Acidophilus-4 billion cells per dose
Echinacea-350mg capsules-2caps
Garlic-580mg capsules-2 caps
500mg Vit C w/200 mg Bioflavonoids
Grapefruitseed extract- 15 drops(in liquid)

She also advises to insert an ancidophilus capsule vaginally 1-2 times a week (at night before bed). She also made a point of saying that the bacteria will feed off of sugar, so it's best to try and limit your intake.

My dd1 had an infection at birth that may have been brought on by GBS, so I'm doing everything I can to prevent it. Just thought I would share, incase anyone else is interested

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#2 of 19 Old 12-14-2006, 07:45 PM

Hi, thanks fof the info. I was just checked for GBS yesterday and I wont know for a couple weeks if the test was postive but we have been discussing natural treatments for if it comes out positive.
My midwife told me about alot of the remedies you listed and also one about inserting garlic into the vagina and leaving it there and changing it frequently. She said it would make your breath smell like garlic! It makes sense but i thought that was funny, I wouldnt want to have to explain my garlic breath to someone Thanks for the good info

Peace.

Eleshia
#3 of 19 Old 12-14-2006, 10:01 PM

With dd I tested + at 35 weeks and because of a drug allergy got retested at 37 weeks to find out what abx it would be sensitive to...

Anyhow, from 35-37 I took a boatload of acidophilous (3-4 caps a day), ate lots of garlic, vit c, tons of water... and I was - at 37 weeks.

So my midwife and I compromised and used the "old" ACOG standards for getting abx during labor - ROM of 18+ hrs, or maternal fever... with the plan that my labor wouldn't go so long as to need abx. Well, I labored for a long time ROM and ended up with abx, that's another story.. aah the problems it caused for dd.

Lisa, mama to Lauren, Elliot, angel Marion, and baby due in the fall.
#4 of 19 Old 12-15-2006, 08:26 PM

I don't get tested at all but do the OP's routine with the vits and tinctures. It has worked well so far.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 19 Old 12-16-2006, 11:47 AM

GBS-Positive Treatment Plan

This plan was developed by a pregnant woman in San Francisco who tested positive for Group Beta Streptococcus. She was planning a homebirth and wanted to avoid hospitalization and antibiotic treatment. She successfully eliminated the bacteria from her genital and anal tracts. We received this plan in 2001. At the time, this client’s midwife has used this treatment method successfully with two additional GBS-positive mothers and was working with a fourth woman who had elected to use this same method. This method purportedly takes approximately three (3) weeks to obtain negative cultures, but each successive culture showed less GBS growth.

After this course of treatment is completed, you and your midwife can then perform a culture weekly to see if the bacteria levels are decreasing. The reading closest to time of delivery is purportedly the most reliable. It is recommended that, if this course of treatment proves successful at eliminating GBS from the vaginal/rectal tract, the regimen be continued until delivery to decrease the likelihood of GBS being present in your vaginal tract at the time of delivery. You may also want to consider separate cultures for the vagina and rectum; the risk of neonatal GBS infection is less if GBS is present only in the rectum (and not the vagina) although extra precautions remain necessary.

We at Ama Mama offer this information as a prenatal alternative to women who have tested positive as a GBS carrier. It is not endorsed or recommended by Ama Mama or the Center for Disease Control.

It is suggested that you take the following supplements and remedies, as directed, for three weeks. As with any treatment, please discontinue use and contact your health care provider immediately if any adverse effects are noted. Thank you.

1. Twice a day, with breakfast and dinner:
Acidophilus or pro-biotic supplement: 4 billion cells per dose
Echinacea: Two 350 mg (each) capsules
Garlic: Two 580 mg (each) capsules
Vitamin C: 500-2000 mg (0.5-2 grams), with 200 mg bioflavinoids
Grapefruit seed extract: 15 drops

2.Once per day for 3 days, once per week thereafter:
Homeopathic Streptococcynum 200X

3.Once per day (until finished):
Herbal-C suppositories, by Bezweken

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#6 of 19 Old 12-22-2006, 03:55 PM

Bumping this thread because I just found out I have GBS in my urine. I asked them to check earlier this week because I felt like I had a UTI.

So... I'll be taking an antibiotic for a week or so. Anyone know if I can also start this herbal treatment? Or should I wait until I finish the antibiotic?

I tested positive for GBS vaginally earlier in my pregnancy. (Don't know why they even checked that early.) I'd REALLY like to get it out of my system before birth!

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#7 of 19 Old 12-22-2006, 04:26 PM

i'd try the herbal/natural stuff before the antibiotics.

i think antibiotics should be saved for really serious conditions when nothing else works.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#8 of 19 Old 12-22-2006, 04:52 PM

Thanks for the info! My PH has been off and I'm working to make it right.. though right now the sugar thing is hard to control ones self

I'll add a few of those to my list.

I take 35 billion acidophlous every day and it makes me feel better but not really helping my PH also doing it vag. ( though lower dose and garlic..) I'll start all this again at 35 weeks...
#9 of 19 Old 12-22-2006, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulmom View Post
I asked them to check earlier this week because I felt like I had a UTI.

So... I'll be taking an antibiotic for a week or so.
Take a probiotic like acidophillus while you are taking that antibiotic for the UTI because otherwise you might follow the UTI with a yeast infection.... not fun! So when will they be testing you again for GBS? Good luck. Oh and after this UTI is gone, you could get some cranberry pills to take to hopefully prevent any more.... UTIs are a risk factor for preterm labor. :

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#10 of 19 Old 12-22-2006, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoismommy View Post
UTIs are a risk factor for preterm labor. :
My body is a risk factor for preterm labor! In fact, I now remember that's why they checked for GBS early... I had a cerclage at 12 weeks, and the doctor wanted to treat GBS before doing something invasive. Now I'm on bedrest for incompetent cervix and contractions...

So thanks for the cranberry tip. I definitely need as many things working in my favor as possible!

Wife and Mama who homeschools-- mostly in the kitchen!
#11 of 19 Old 12-22-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracefulmom View Post
My body is a risk factor for preterm labor! In fact, I now remember that's why they checked for GBS early... I had a cerclage at 12 weeks, and the doctor wanted to treat GBS before doing something invasive. Now I'm on bedrest for incompetent cervix and contractions...

So thanks for the cranberry tip. I definitely need as many things working in my favor as possible!
I've had quite a few "strikes" against me this pregnancy, but baby doesn't seem affected yet, that I can tell..... :

Homeschooling SAHM to 3 children under 5 + one on the way.
#12 of 19 Old 12-23-2006, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Gracefulmom-If you do plan to take the antibiotic it should be just fine to take the herbal treatment all are really good to help fight the infection and will help your body to not get to off balance from the antibiotic. The anitbiotic will kill the good bacteria along with the bad, so taking the acidolphilus will help to bring the good bacteria back, so that you aren't open to other infections when getting of the anti.

P1gg1e-My midwife said that I have until 3 days after Christmas until I need to start the low sugar thing, so until then I'm enjoying myself

If the herbal treatment doesn't work I plan on trying the hebicleanse vaginal wash. I will probably test again after the douche to make sure that it worked as well.

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#13 of 19 Old 12-23-2006, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post

P1gg1e-My midwife said that I have until 3 days after Christmas until I need to start the low sugar thing, so until then I'm enjoying myself

Excellent laughup
#14 of 19 Old 12-23-2006, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah_bella1050 View Post
Gracefulmom-If you do plan to take the antibiotic it should be just fine to take the herbal treatment all are really good to help fight the infection and will help your body to not get to off balance from the antibiotic. The anitbiotic will kill the good bacteria along with the bad, so taking the acidolphilus will help to bring the good bacteria back, so that you aren't open to other infections when getting of the anti.

If the herbal treatment doesn't work I plan on trying the hebicleanse vaginal wash. I will probably test again after the douche to make sure that it worked as well.
I thought douching while pregnant was a no no?? I have always been told to not douch while pregnant from all my dr's with my 3 kids. Just confused on that can someone explain? Also on my bottle of Alpha Lipoic Acid 100 mg on the bottle there reads a warning for pregnant, nursing, women consult your dr. before use. I know if I call my dr. she would say she would not recommend because it's not FDA approved : Nope she isn't a wholistic health care dr. I wish.. I called her about taking papaya extract for acid indigestion a couple of weeks ago because I had this very bad burning sensation on my left side. The dr. on call said for me to take Pepcid complete and I didn't want to do that so I later called my dr. the next day to ask about the Papaya and she wouldn't recommend it it turned out it was Stretching!! I am carring twins so lots of stretching!!! Anyways I wanted to ask others on the board about the alpha Lipoic Acid while pregnant? Thanks ..
#15 of 19 Old 12-23-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
I know if I call my dr. she would say she would not recommend because it's not FDA approved :

well, herbs aren't "FDA approved or not approved" so i'm not sure what your doctor is refering too. but you wouldn't take your computer to a car mechanic to get fixed would you? it's pretty much a waste of time to ask doctors about herbs. you're gonna get the same answers over and over... "don't take it." since they don't know jack about herbs/supplements/nutrition/breastfeeding/co-sleeping/babywearing/intact baby boys etc etc etc.... and for some reason they just don't know how to say "i don't know." they *just* have to answer "don't" or some other stupid and unhelpful thing. so don't waste your breath.

consult with an herbalist, natural health consultant, naturopath, etc.

i'm not sure about ALA... but basically it's an antioxidant right? what are you taking it for? i pretty much go with the less is more belief in pregnancy, if it's something i absolutely need to be healthy and i simply can't find any info on it online, etc. then i seriously consider taking it. if i don't need it to function and i can't find any info, i give it up. i went through this with royal jelly. i had a hell of time finding info. all the mainstream sources said nope, all the holistic sites siad yes. but there wasn't anything conclusive. i consulted with a friend of mine who is a holistic vet and we discussed what royal jelly really is and how it affects the body. finally we dicided that it was safe to take and i've been using it on and off my during the pregnancy.

one of the things about natural health that is different than conventional medicine is that you have to be your own authority on what is best for you to take/use. it's hard to find anyone (well respected) who will say "yes take this, no you shouldn't take it." there is lots of info (or none), differing opinions, and differenting reactions to the same stuff so it's really up to each person to decided for themselves what they really feel safe in taking. (well conventional medicine should be like this too, but it's not)

GL!!

PS everything i google says there isn't enough evidence to recommend or not recommend it for pregnant women. it's an unknown.

#16 of 19 Old 12-27-2006, 10:37 PM

posters were recommending Gracefulmom to take a probiotic and I was just stating that the label warns to check with dr. The ala- is the same as a acidolphilus I understand or a probiotic. I am not taking that during preg. just commenting on the other reply posts. I do currently take 400 IU Vitamin e, 1000 mg of Omega -3 Fish Oil, Vitamin C 500 mg 2X a day, One a Day Women's vitamin 2 X a day, and a 3X 3- That's 9 pills a day of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc supplement- 3 pills each meal for the Calcium Mag. and Zinc. I read this was a good supplement for pregnant women carrying twins that I am! Sorry about the confussion of my post.
#17 of 19 Old 12-27-2006, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
posters were recommending Gracefulmom to take a probiotic and I was just stating that the label warns to check with dr. The ala- is the same as a acidolphilus I understand or a probiotic. I am not taking that during preg. just commenting on the other reply posts. I do currently take IU Vitamin e, 1000 mg of Omega -3 Fish Oil, Vitamin C 500 mg 2X a day, One a Day Women's vitamin 2 X a day, and a 3X 3- That's 9 pills a day of Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc supplement- 3 pills each meal for the Calcium Mag. and Zinc. I read this was a good supplement for pregnant women carrying twins that I am! Sorry about the confussion of my post.

i'm sorry, i don't understand what you are saying here... i thought you asked about taking alpha lipoic acid while pregnant.

#18 of 19 Old 12-27-2006, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
i'm sorry, i don't understand what you are saying here... i thought you asked about taking alpha lipoic acid while pregnant.
Yes that's right I was commenting about other posters wanting gracefulmom to take this. Sorry about the confussion. I don't take this currently though but I have a bottle that my teenage son takes as part of a acne regimen. I hope this helps me to clear up the confusion I have started it seems. Sorry. New to all this herbal stuff and was just questioning if it is safe to take while being pregnant that's all.

Thanks,
Kelly
#19 of 19 Old 12-27-2006, 11:39 PM

[QUOTE=wantingagirl2b#4;6850011]Yes that's right I was commenting about other posters wanting gracefulmom to take this. /QUOTE]

eh? you mean acidolphilus? (i didn't see anyone recommending alpha lipoic acid). these are very diffeent things. acidolphilus is a probiotics... intestional flora, a micro-organism that should already be present in the gut and vagina. there is no possible reason why one shouldn't take this while pregnant. esp if you have any imbalances in the vagina, such as yeast or BV. it's also excellent to take if you are trying to kill bacteria anywhere in the body.

alpha lipoic acid is a strong antioxidant that people use for heart conditions, asthma, inflammation, allergies, diabetes, eye health, etc... while my general reaction is that it shouldn't hurt while pregnant, i really don't know enough about how it works to say... sure go ahead and take it.

two very different supplements.

hope that was a bit clearer for you. nothing to apologize for, i simply didn't understand what you were saying.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page