reacted to the GDS today - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-16-2006, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would post this here because I am due in early March, and I'm not sure how many of those mamas have done this screen yet.

With my last child I recall not feeling so hot with the Gest Diab. liquid they make you drink, but was ok. I was more worried about the drawing blood part (I'm highly phobic of needles).

Anyway, I go in for it today with Dh and drink that crap again, wait one hour, meanwhile the baby is jumping around in there from the sugar and I am not feeling so good myself. I have the blood drawn, which wasnt so bad today, at least only had a mild panic attack during the drawing, but DH was being a good sport about it.

then we leave down the hall so dh can go have an x-ray, was in the same building. We were at the counter giving all his info to the receptionist, he got called in right away... and I could still see him walking when I got sooooo lightheaded, faint, queasy, and said, "i dont feel so good" he didnt hear me, but I was able to sit down and the receptionist brought me some goldfish crackers. They helped and I felt better, but what a reaction!

Do you think my bs dropped just then? I should say I have been feeling kinda hypoglycemic for a couple of weeks while at work. I eat something and feel better, but never had this reaction. I think it was sugar overload then....crash!!!!

Anyone experience this before? Is it something to call the midwife about on Monday or should I wait to tell her at my next appt on Dec 26th? I hate to make big deals over something... I dread the responses and the further testing that this might entail, any suggestions, words of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-17-2006, 12:30 AM

When I drank the Glucola with DD3, I went in to hard active labor and she was born 33 hours later.

I refused it this time, and am being treated as a diabetic instead, and I have to stick myself 5 times a day to get my blood sugar reading.

I prefer that to a preemie!

It does sound like a major BS crash. Sorry you had to deal with that!

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#3 of 4 Old 12-17-2006, 12:11 PM

I have hypoglycemic numbers. I never took the test because of it. I just showed my doc my sugar levels and they were so low he didn't give me any flack.
Anyway, you described something that happens to me a couple times a week.

If I have, say, a supper the night before that is light on protein therefore high on carbs and then wake up and take my sugar, it's low (like 66). Then I eat breakfast-it usually doesn't make a difference what I eat-and I'll get a reaction like this:
I feel fine for about 20 min, then a little beat and need to not do too much physical activity. Then at about 45-50 minutes after the meal, my heart starts to pound a bit (palpitations) and I am glad I'm sitting. I now know that this is my insulin kicking in high force and regulating itself. I also know it'll soon be over. At 1 hour after eating, I check my sugar. It's usually only 88-95. Then about 5-10 minutes later, I'm tearing around liek my old self.

The reason I went into all this detail was to show you an example of what is normal for hypoglycemic blood levels. There is a surge and sick feeling that can be confused with diabetic symptoms. The difference is the sugars are low and stay low. A diabetic can have low numbers, but they spike something fierce after the 1 hour test.

So as for your questions. There are no pills or magic things you can take to change hypoglycemia during pregnancy except for watching your food habits. It's also not that unusual. I have found that loading up on protein, especially before the big fast during the night helps. During the day I rarely let two hours go by without eating something. (protein does so much to aid the body during pgregancy!)

Should you let your midwife know? Sure! That info will help her to help you manage your birthing. It's going to be even more important to keep your sugars up while you do the hard work (if you can stand to eat) and she would like to know that.

Should you be worried? I don;t think so. I really think your body was avidly rejecting that sugar crap and now you have the knowledge to keep yourself balanced for the rest of the way.

Good luck!

Oh, and if you're really woried, you can ask for a prescription for a glucometer/test strips/lancets. Then it will be covered under your insurance and you can get to know your blood.

#4 of 4 Old 12-17-2006, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies, but my biggest issue is that I cant bear to check my bs. I have a huge phobia of needles, shots, blood, etc. Pricking myself would send me into panic attacks. Knowing i have to draw blood usually results in a couple panic attacks just thinking about it. Having to do that regularly would be the worst thing ever for me. Hence how I started with this natural birthing (which I am grateful for now!) because I couldnt stand to do and IV or epidural or whatever else they throw your way at the hospital. I have been like this all my life. I get cavities filled without novicaine, have to bring someone to hold me down during blood draws. Luckily, I have been healthy and have great genes (chol, bp, etc very low always).

I also failed to mention that I did eat breakfast (1.5 pieces of toast with butter and 2 scrambled eggs) 1 hr before I went for the gd test. I was hoping this would help me not feel as crappy.

I was told the alternative was to draw blood, go eat, come back in 2-3 hrs and draw again. Which I did not want to do because it required 2 draws:

I cant refuse the test because they will refuse to take me at the birthcenter I want to go to. My other option would be the hospital, which would not be pleasant in my book.
I will let my midwife know at my next appt what happened.
Thanks for all your input.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page