GBS test - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 12-17-2006, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Curious about this... I have Mitro-valve prolapse, and I am too be medicated during Labor with anitbiotics. I was wondering, if I am medicated during Labor & delivery, plus post delivery, Is it NECESSARY too be tested for GBS? I have been tested in my past 3 pregnancies, and never had it, but this time I was thinking since I need antibiotics anyway, is this test really necessary for me too have?
When I have refused it in the past, I was made too fel guilty about refusing this test. So, ofcourse I gave in.... Just wondering if I really NEED too have this test,since I will have IV antibiotics anyway?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-17-2006, 11:44 PM

Hi Missy,

My only thought on this is that they might give a different antibiotic for GBS than they would for your mitral valve prophylaxis. Might be a good question to ask... if the one for your mitral valve would also cover GBS, maybe they'd waive the test for you.
#3 of 4 Old 12-18-2006, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

I did some searching last night.. for GBS it is treated with penicillan or ampicillan ( sp? ) When I go too the dentist I am treated with Amoxicillan..for MVP.. Are these the same types of antibiotics?

#4 of 4 Old 12-18-2006, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCKMN View Post
Curious about this... I have Mitro-valve prolapse, and I am too be medicated during Labor with anitbiotics.
i have MVP and didn't have antibiotics during my first labor. my current MW says it's not standard of care anymore. my dentist doesn't ask me to take them anymore either, he said those are old guidelines.

i think you could skip them.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page