OB appt today- both twins are breech - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well I haven't posted a ton on the DDC about my caregiver situation but here is the situation- I have a midwife, was planning a homebirth, but they can't/wont attend twins at home and they have to share my care with an OB to be able to continue to see me at all (the midwives here are govermnet funded so they have to play by the rules I guess)

Dh and I have been planning a UC homebirth, but continue to see the midwives and the OB so we have a backup support network in case something else happens.

Anyways, The OB i have been seeing hasn't been there for my past few appointments which was really frustrating me!

He was there today-

and we talked a lot of things over- and I am fairly happy with how things went- he is willing be he hands off and do what I want, he is going to try to figure out how I can birth in the water (I told him it is a non negotiable). He will just let baby B come if it is breech or vertex and if it is transverse we will try external variation before internal variation.

we schedualed a final ultrasound for next week thursday- which I am ok with.. I knew I wanted one more as a possibility so we could figure out how they are presenting, and make sure they are still growing at a good pace ect.

Then he did a quick ultrasound scan using the machine in the room...

Baby B is now presenting, and she is BREECH.. he said that's fine I can still deliver vaginally as long as she doesn't come feet first or have her head back. I am off to read everything I can about breech babies... it's just one thing after another I guess...

overall I am glad I went.. it helped clear a lot of things up...

The breech thing does worry me.. I just see my statistical odds for an uncomplicated vag. birth going down... which is frustrating..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 06:55 PM

I'm so sorry to hear that your plans for birth may not turn out as you hoped. I know that you will do what's best for you and your babies and will have a wonderful birth, no matter how it turns out in the end.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif
#3 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 07:20 PM

Heather, I'm sneaking in from the January DDC board.

I'm not sure how many weeks you are. I'm 37w4d with twins, and at 34w4d, baby A was presenting breech. I had a quick scan last Thursday, and she has flipped to vertex. Her brother flipped to breech, but my OB isn't concerned. Just wanted to reassure you that there is still time for them to flip.
#4 of 8 Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM

I am glad Olivia posted, just as reassurance that they are still moving around in there and they still can turn. Don't give up hope that one or both will turn! Good luck to you and keep us updated!

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#5 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Baby B being breech is not the end of the world. It's so different having the second baby breech vs a singleton breech baby. It has a lot to do with the vaginal canal already being 'prepped' for the full size of the baby's head because the first paved the way.

My doc described how he will deal with a possible breech. He will give a little bit of time to allow the baby to descend, but unfortunately for me, not as much time as I probably would like. (one time he had a placenta try to deliver before Baby B and it makes him jumpy now) Then he may reach up and grab the feet and extract up to the head. Then he will let me contract and carefully birth the rest of the babe out.

Right I've got two vertex babes who don;t move around much, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Because like so many others have said, they can flip all the way until the end, even during labor. The advice I read recently was, don't squat too early and get on your fours right away when labor sstarts if you have a breech.

I hope that helps, and even more so, I hope you get the complication free UC you're praying for!
#6 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 06:00 PM

I just wanted to add my twin experience. Baby A was breech abd Baby B was transverse at an u/s at 35w4days. At 36 weeks my water broke and we headed to the hospital fully expecting a c-section. Got situated and they wanted to do a quick u/s to confirm presentation and both babies were vertex! Everyone was shocked. I have no idea when they turned but I got my vaginal birth. It's good to know that even twins can turn as late as 36 weeks.
Goodluck!
#7 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude Rose View Post
Baby B being breech is not the end of the world. It's so different having the second baby breech vs a singleton breech baby. It has a lot to do with the vaginal canal already being 'prepped' for the full size of the baby's head because the first paved the way.

Baby B is presenting though- and baby A is breech too anyways haha..

I hope they sp[in around... my OB doesn't have a problem delivering breech- baby a or b or any combination which is good.
#8 of 8 Old 12-19-2006, 09:28 PM

There are lots of breech websites to check out. I hope they flip around to vertex soon!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page