Update On Evan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi girls!

I apologize for not getting here sooner to update, but I've been almost exclusively staying at a hospitality house close to the hospital so I can be with Evan as much as possible. It breaks my heart to leave my older children, but I pray that they understand that Evan needs Mommy more than they do right now.

As of today, Evan is up to 4 pounds, 4 ounces. He's struggling still with bradycardia/apnea episodes and he's back on oxygen support through a nasal cannula right now. He's maintaining his temperature really well and has been in an open crib for the past 5 days. He's also been able to start practicing eating from a bottle, but again, is struggling some because he just doesn't have the coordination down quite yet. He is 3 weeks old today and I'm praying that he'll get to come home in about 2 weeks. Please continue your prayers for him, especially that he resolves his breathing issues.
#2 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 04:20 PM

Glad to hear he's making some progress!
#3 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 04:38 PM

Thank you so much for letting us know how you're all doing! I will keep your sweet boy in my thoughts, hopefully he will keep getting stronger and will be home with you very soon!! Hang in there!!
#4 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 10:19 PM

I am so glad that he is gaining weight & in the open crib That is wonderful progress. I will keep your family in my prayers.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#5 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 10:27 PM

He's been doing so much these last three weeks. What a fighter! Still sending prayers and hope to you and yours. Thanks so much for the update.
#6 of 21 Old 12-25-2006, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the update. Praying hard for you!!

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#7 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the update! Sounds like he is getting stronger everyday!
#8 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the update!! I'm glad he is making progress, and I will continue to pray for all of you.
#9 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 12:52 PM

thanks for letting us know how you and little evan are getting on. delighted to hear that he's making progress. i hope you'll have him home soon!
#10 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 12:59 PM

Thanks for giving us an update on little Evan, sounds like he's making some great progress! I will continue to pray for him and your family.
#11 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 03:16 PM

OOOOOOOOO Evan sounds like he is doing really well I hope that his breathing strightens out soon. that must be so hard too see him go through episodes *hugs*
#12 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 07:17 PM

Thank you for keeping us updated, I'm so happy to hear that he is making progress! How are you feeling?

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#13 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 07:58 PM

So glad to hear that Evan is doing so well. I remember the NICU (Special Care Nursery up here) days only too well and my prayers are with you both for fast and speedy growth and progress. Thank you so much for your update mama!!

Blessings,

Denise
#14 of 21 Old 12-26-2006, 09:02 PM

An open crib is a GREAT milestone!

How are you doing, mama? Anything you need/want to help pass the time in the NICU? How's the pumping going? (sorry, making assumptions )

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#15 of 21 Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing okay. I can feel PPD starting to settle in, plus I truly think I am having some PTSD too. I still don't really feel like Evan is my child yet. It's like you hand over your entire life and soul to the NICU and just pray that someday you'll be given a part of it back. I hate to sound so negative, but this is definitely a challenge that I wish no one had to endure.

The pumping is going very well. My supply is astronomically huge. LOL! I'm filling up the freezer quite well so at least supply is not something I'm having to worry about.

Mini update: Evan's up to 4 lbs, 7 oz and has successfully finished all bottles offered to him in the past 24+ hours! We're getting there, slowly, but surely.
#16 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella*enchanted View Post
I'm doing okay. I can feel PPD starting to settle in, plus I truly think I am having some PTSD too. I still don't really feel like Evan is my child yet. It's like you hand over your entire life and soul to the NICU and just pray that someday you'll be given a part of it back. I hate to sound so negative, but this is definitely a challenge that I wish no one had to endure.
What a relief to hear Evan is doing well, but so sorry you are going through this.

--
Let your life speak. -- George Fox
#17 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 02:11 AM

Yey!!!!!!! SO happy to hear he is hitting his marks like a champ

Good job you milk making goddess.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
#18 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ella*enchanted View Post

The pumping is going very well. My supply is astronomically huge. LOL! I'm filling up the freezer quite well so at least supply is not something I'm having to worry about.

Mini update: Evan's up to 4 lbs, 7 oz and has successfully finished all bottles offered to him in the past 24+ hours! We're getting there, slowly, but surely.

I'm so sorry mama, that has to be so hard . Someday this will all be a memory and you have your son in your arms at home. I truely hope that day comes very soon. Hang in there

Sarah knit.gif married to Micah, mama to dd1 (9), dd2 (7) and ds (2). We love to homeschool.gif h20homebirth.gif goorganic.jpgchicken3.gif
#19 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM

You're in my prayers. I know that he is being made healthy and will be breathing on his own soon.

Mom to DS (16), DD (7), DS (5), and excitedenergy.gif about my final baby due October 2014. Love fluffy mailheartbeat.gif, appreciate midwives, and can't wait to wear a baby againjoy.gif!
#20 of 21 Old 12-28-2006, 07:18 PM

thinking of you all
#21 of 21 Old 12-30-2006, 12:48 AM

I hope everything continues to go well. Please remember to get some sleep and eat well, you need it to stay healthy!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page