contractions???????? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay im 34 weeks and for the past couple days I have experiencing some tighning of my stomach muscles . I dont know if they are just really strong braxton hicks contractions or if I should go and have them checked. When I get them I have to stop what im doing and rest for a little bit! I dont remember these with my first son?!! wierd!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieluvsramon View Post
Okay im 34 weeks and for the past couple days I have experiencing some tighning of my stomach muscles . I dont know if they are just really strong braxton hicks contractions or if I should go and have them checked. When I get them I have to stop what im doing and rest for a little bit! I dont remember these with my first son?!! wierd!
How exciting. Have you been timing them? If they are coming at random intervals with no decernable pattern, then I would say they are just some strong bh contractions. If you are noticing a pattern then this could be preterm labor and you really should call your midwife or ob.

Sometimes the uterus gets a bit aggrivated by not enough fluids so if you wanted to try something fun you can drink a couple of glasses of water and go lay down and rest for an hour or so. Of course I am not a doctor so it really would be best if you touched bases with one but the water and rest wouldnt hurt a tired pregnant body good luck and keep us posted.

sahm for Landon 1/07 and Simon 12/08 Aden 3/8/06
#3 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

they come after i get up and last prabably every 10 - 15 minutes? for about 4-5 hours and then go away until the next day.
#4 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM

Are they on the top of your uterus? Or do they feel like menstrual cramps?

When I had PTL, they were "proud of me" for knowing they were real contractions. I could tell they were changing my cervix because they were very low, felt EXACTLY like menstrual cramps, and my entire uterus because hard as a rock. Plus they lasted a minute and were 4 minutes apart.

They say if you don't have more than 6 an hour not to worry about it.

So, where are they? I'm having BH on the top of my uterus, but no cramping/tightening in my cervix, so I'm not worried about PTL right now. I'm confident this guy will keep cooking for another 6 weeks or so.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#5 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

okay, so about an hour after i posted this I went to the restroom and I think I lost my mucos plug! hopefully I can hang in there for at least 3 more weeks!
#6 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 08:50 PM

make sure you are drinking lots of water mama and you can even ask for a urine sample just in case you have a UTI. rest a lot too.

FWIW, i didn't have this "irritable" uterus last time... now it's been nothing but a cranky womb unless i take lots of magnesium, drink tons of water and rest very often!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#7 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
okay, so about an hour after i posted this I went to the restroom and I think I lost my mucos plug! hopefully I can hang in there for at least 3 more weeks!
I would suggest calling your health care provider, just to be on the safe side. Good luck.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#8 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I am soo sorry to hear that you are only 34 weeks angieluvsramon and already lost you mucus plug. Me too on Christmas Day and I am only 32 weeks will be 33 weeks this Friday and carrying twins. I like yourself hope to hold on as long as I can. I like another poster posted to drink lots of water and take Magnesium is suppose to help avoid PTL. I hope so but usually when I loose my plug only go another week or so. I have been worried about the GBS screening since I have not been screened I don't want them to just push antibotics because no test was done for this. If you go before 35 weeks I have read you will most likely test positive for this and they will want to push the antibotics to keep baby from getting GBS, but studies I have read it seems the antibotics just creates this super bug that makes them even sicker so I have been reading as much as I can about all this. Hang in there angieluvsramon. Feel free to write as we do have something in common going on right now.

Blessings,
Kelly
#9 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantingagirl2b#4 View Post
I am soo sorry to hear that you are only 34 weeks angieluvsramon and already lost you mucus plug. Me too on Christmas Day and I am only 32 weeks will be 33 weeks this Friday and carrying twins. I like yourself hope to hold on as long as I can. I like another poster posted to drink lots of water and take Magnesium is suppose to help avoid PTL. I hope so but usually when I loose my plug only go another week or so. I have been worried about the GBS screening since I have not been screened I don't want them to just push antibotics because no test was done for this. If you go before 35 weeks I have read you will most likely test positive for this and they will want to push the antibotics to keep baby from getting GBS, but studies I have read it seems the antibotics just creates this super bug that makes them even sicker so I have been reading as much as I can about all this. Hang in there angieluvsramon. Feel free to write as we do have something in common going on right now.

Blessings,
Kelly
I went in to labor with DD3 at 27wk6d, and never tested positive for GBS. I've never heard that correlation. Very interesting.

#10 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sehbub View Post
I went in to labor with DD3 at 27wk6d, and never tested positive for GBS. I've never heard that correlation. Very interesting.
any infection of the vagina or urinary tract can cause premature birth. i think i read up to 40% of all premature births.

if you have PTL, you should get tested for BV, UTI, GBS, etc and then treated for it so you don't have a premature rupture of your membranes.

i'm not really sure supplemental magnesium can prevent preterm labor, but i do know it can decrease annoying BH cxs and irritable uterus cxs.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#11 of 14 Old 12-27-2006, 11:58 PM

Ok I am really confused... I have read, and was told by my docs midwife, if they are really low, then they are Braxton hicks, and NOT real contractions.. I was told that real contracts start at the top of your uterus, my sister told me the same thing ( as per her OB as well ) about BH and real contrax?

Everything I have felt is really low.. ONLY now there is a difference too them, they seem too start at my belly button, and whole tummy gets hard, but these are so few and far between that I ignore them.. mine still tend too be really LOW and painless, do not feel like menstrual cramps or anything like that.. just wondering what is what after reading the thread
#12 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 12:06 AM

if they don't hurt, they are BH most likely.

labor contractions are intense. remember?

when i get them, my uterus and belly get rock hard. and sometimes they make me grunt very softly. but they don't hurt, they are just annoying and make it hard to move around.

the way my friend who is an apprentice MW described it to me... the uterus is several layers of muscle fibers. when you are in labor they work in unison. when you are having a BH, it is just one layer contracting. which is why they aren't intense.

if you are confused about what's happening, try a few ounces of wine, a bunch of water, a rest, a warm bath, a few 100 mgs of magnesium, etc... if any of these things make them go away... it's most likely BH cxs.

i think true labor contractions are hard to miss, even when the BH are constant, like in my case.

#13 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 01:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
i think true labor contractions are hard to miss, even when the BH are constant, like in my case.
I think that's true for me at least - the BH contractions I've been having this pregnancy are much more frequent and intense than last time, and I have them for most of the day. I get a hard tightening, can even take my breath away, exhaust me, and make me need to lay down a while. But with real contractions I feel the distinctive aching pull on my cervix. In a whole day of BH contractions, I feel that maybe two or three times (and maybe a couple extra times when the baby is really pushing on it,) and haven't yet experienced it with the rough tugging intensity that I remember of labor contractions.
#14 of 14 Old 12-28-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

The ones that I have been having are really high and go down to my thighs but like i said they only last about 4-5 hours then go away till the next day?!?!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page