My trip to ER. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I started having some pretty extream chest pain and my right arm went numb. I was hoping to NOT go in because of the weather (icy and foggy) but when I called a nurse hotline (after lying down for 10 minutes and it getting worse) she suggested I go. So we got there at 7. Luckily, I went at the right time and was in a room within 5 minutes. They did an EKG which looked fine, then the doc was worried about my gallbladder or a possible blood clot, so I got an ultrasound of all my organs (which were all smooshed) and the tech even took a look at the baby to get a heartbeat and make sure s/he is doing well. I hadn't had a ultrasound yet because we're already paying out of pocket for everything with a 98% my insurance will decline payment, so it was an uneeded expense. Baby is fine, head down and I saw his or her feet and hands (all clenched up.) Also, I think this baby has dd's nose. Then I had a chest x-ray done. I had an x-ray at 25wks when I broke my toe and they didn't like doing it, but they REALLY HATE doing a chest x-ray on a pregnant woman. It was a pain to make sure the babe was all covered. In the end, everything looked good and my pain subsided. I was released at 11:15 with a diagnosis of "unexplained chest pain" and "pregnancy" (one of the sheets they sent home with us says "During this exam, we determined you were pregnant." ) I'm glad everything is okay. They wanted me to follow up with my regular doc since chest pain and arm numbness is not normal in a 23 year old.

Also, I had 2 midwife conversations, one with the ultrasound tech and one with the x-ray tech. The ultrasound tech was surprised I hadn't had a us yet, because she workes with CNM's up north and they always do them. So then I explained about LM's and how insurance might not cover things. She was surprised. And then the x-ray tech asked me about midwife. She wants to go that route when she has her next baby. My midwife will either do homebirth or birthcenter so I gave her the name of the place and she seemed really interested. That was about the only good part, lol.

Mama of three.

#2 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 02:17 PM

I had a really similar experiance, but it was pain in my upper abodmen.. they decided it *might* be a gallbladder stone but it didn't really look like it..

glad you are feeling better and I hope your insurance covers the tests!

Thats too funny that they "discovered you are pregnant"

I was doing preadmission paperwork in case I deliver in the hospital, and one of the questions on the admission (for the family birthing centre) is "is there any chance you may be pregnant?" hahaha
#3 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM

Oh no, I'm glad it was nothing serious! When I went to the ER at 14w because I was so sick I was getting dehydrated, I also got the paper with "This exam determined that you are pregnant on it." It was a very DUHHHH moment

Feel better mama!

full time, single, slightly soggy WOHM to Juliet (12.31.2004 @ 36w5d) and Willow & Adam (2.22.2007 @ 39w5d, HBAC transfer) and... expecting my little womb warrior Eowyn Susanne in September
#4 of 5 Old 01-01-2007, 06:12 PM

Well, congratulations on your pregnancy That is pretty funny that they determined your *medical condition*.
I hope you are feeling better soon!!

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#5 of 5 Old 01-02-2007, 02:24 AM

OMG Erin! How scary that must have been to think you might have been having a heart attack or something!
Have you been having anxiety? I've heard of that causing pain/tightness in the chest, but the arm thing would have freaked me right out.
SO glad youre ok!
Now stay that way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page